23 Sivan

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2013
      In the merit of this learning may Chava bat Rachel be blessed with complete health, happiness, success, clarity and only revealed good.

      We need to be careful not to repeat information that is not negative but will cause someone annoyance or pain.

      II - example
      You tell your friend, Chaya - "You know your neighbor told me that you are never home at night. She keeps wondering whee you go." Although this information is not negative, it can cause your friend to feel annoyance at her neighbor for meddling into her private life.

      (Hilchot Rechilut and Purity of Speech by C.T. Friedman)
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 9, 2015
        In the merit of this learning may Sara Esther bat Perl be blessed with complete health, happiness, success, clarity, and only revealed good.

        When voicing complaints about someone's behavior, it is very easy to include judgmental phrases and expressions that subtly and not so subtly condemn the other person. When we condemn someone, we make it much more difficult for them to accept what we say. Judgmental language makes people react defensively. Besides being less effective than nonjudgmental language, it also causes unnecessary distress even if the one who uses it does not intend to be spiteful.

        II - Examples
        Judgmental language: "You waste so much money. Stop being so frivolous."
        Nonjudgmental language: "I think that you are spending more money than is necessary. Let's look for ways to be more economical.
        Judgmental language: "You act like a slob."
        Nonjudgmental language: "I would appreciate it if you would put away your things where they belong."

        (The Power of Words by Rabbi Zelig Pliskin)