26 Iyar

    Message 1 of 5 , May 5 9:32 PM
      In the merit of this learning may David Mendel ben Mintche be blessed with complete health, happiness, and only revealed good.

      The comment "I was at a party at X's house ast night. It's absolutely gorgeous what they've done with the kitchen" is nondefamatory and true. What possible reason could there be for discouraging people from exchanging such innocuous, even complimentary information? Many aspects of ethical speech are subjective and we need to be sensitive to how such a comment will be heard/experienced by the listener.

      II - example
      The listener might not find the info so harmless. While one person is describing how wonderful the party was another might well wonder, "why wasn't I invited? I had them over to my house just a month ago" or "funny that they had the money to redo their kitchen since they pleaded poverty when I asked them to contribute to the new hospice".

      (Words that Hurt Words that Heal by Joseph Telushkin)