Yom Ha'atzmaut

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 15 10:40 PM
      May the land of Israel continue to grow and flourish, be a light unto the nations and be guarded, protected and blessed by G-d. May we continue to grow and love one another unconditionally and thus bring the perfection of Am Yisrael in Eretz Yisrael with Torat Yisrael.

      This week is an intense week for for Israel as we move from Yom Hazikaron (a very painful day of remembrance for our fallen soldiers) straight into Yom Ha'atzmaut (a day of pride and joy as we celebrate our nations' Independence). One of the most important realizations and appreciation people have for Yom Hazikaron is that it is a day without boundaries; it is a day where all divisions disappear and the nation joins together to mourn as one. On this day there is no right or left, no religious or non religious, there is no us or them. Yom Hazikaron is a day where we throw away all the superficial elements that serve to divide us and connect over what is important and real.

      I reflect on this as we make the difficult transition into Yom Ha'atzmaut. I imagine what a powerful day such as this could be if we were to use those same principles of commonality, empathy, and unity on a day that is not only about pain and sadness. I think about how our nation and land could look different if in times of joy, just like in times of pain, we could forget our egos, superficial divides, our need to be right and instead focus on the positive. What would our people and land, which is so often full of strife, look like if we all had self-confidence and self-respect and did not need to put down the other and create divisions that sever us from truth. I imagine what we as a people could look like if we focused on the positive in others, looked for the commonality, and respected differences.

      I know it is possible and I know that one way to get there is to start with the way we speak to and about people who we perceive as different from us.

      Create for yourselves and those around you a meaningful Yom Haatzmaut!!