2 Nissan

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 12, 2013
      In the merit of this learning may Avraham ben Edis and Naftali Michael ben Nechama each be blessed with complete health, happiness, and only revealed good.

      Sometimes when we are angry at a person for something important but are afraid to broach the subject we let out our anger by making insulting remarks to the person about minor matters. This is called displaced anger. Those matters are trivial enough that we would not normally have bothered with them but since we are greatly irritated about another issue we throw out small verbal punches.

      II
      The way to overcome displaced anger is to think of the best way to confront the person about the issue that really bothers us. Even if we are not able to resolve the major issue, just talking about it in a calm manner can make it easier to cope with. If this is not possible we need to be careful not to allow our irritation with the other person to cause us to behave in a way that is counterproductive for our own spiritual well being.

      (The Power of Words by Rabbi Zelig Pliskin)

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2014
        In the merit of this learning may Yocheved bat Miriam and Yeshayahu ben Miriam each be blessed with an immediate refuah shleima bitoch she'ar cholei yisrael.

        Keeping private information to yourself is really important - whether or not it was explicitly told to you as a "secret you shouldn't repeat". However, when there is danger involved, when someone is being hurt (i.e. child abuse, domestic violence, suicide... etc.) this does not apply. Consult someone who can help constructively.

        II
        We are commanded to speak up and offer constructive rebuke. This applies even in situations where it may be uncomfortable for us. For example - witnessing abuse or humiliation. Speaking up in such a situation must be done thoughtfully and carefully in a way that will make a positive difference.

        (Purity of Speech by C.T. Friedman and Words that Hurt Words that Heal by Joseph Telushkin)

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 10, 2016