13 Sivan

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2012
      Please Say/Whisper the Words out Loud
      This learning is dedicated le'iluy nishmat Avinoam  ben Reuven Nathan.

      Insinuations are when you imply an insult without explicitly saying anything insulting. For example, "Some people have been known to do stupid things." When the other person tries to defend themselves, the person who uses insinuations to subtly get their insults across will self-righteously disclaim any intent o insult. "I didn't say you did something stupid. I just said that some people do stupid things." Since the prohibition against causing someone pain with words is based on the distress caused, this would constitute a violation of that prohibition.

      II - more examples
      "Certain people just don't know how to do anything correctly"
      "There are individuals who are careless."
      "There are types of people who are a bit strange."

      (The Power of Words by Rabbi Zelig Pliskin)

      Message 2 of 5 , May 21 8:49 PM
        This learning is dedicated l'iluy nishmat Harav Avraham Brandwein ben Yehudah Tzvi.

        When a person's mind focuses on the differences, flaws or limitations of another person, the raw material for negative and painful speech is manufactured in abundance. It is only a matter of time before those thoughts turn into hurtful spoken words, even if they are modified somehow in the belief that they will thereby deliver less of a sting.

        II
        Once we each make the effort to acknowledge the essential worth of another person, we will see the person's strengths. We will realize that even the person's apparent flaws are signposts that mark the road to their greatness. The shy person needs their shyness and the aggressive person needs their aggression. The soft-hearted person needs their softness and the tough one needs their toughness. They all have before them the opportunity to accomplish something unique with their specific collection of traits and abilities. By validating the person's value, rather than deriding them for their flaws, we can help that person channel all their traits - those that are positive and even those that appear negative - into hope, growth, and achievement.

        (Positive Word Power by The Chafetz Chaim Heritage Foundation)