172617 Av

    Aug 12, 2014
      This learning is dedicated l'iluy nishmat Malka Baila bat Shoshana Chava.

      Some words bring up negative associations in a person's mind. This is something we should be careful to avoid. These precautions may seem to demand catering to every individual' peculiarity. The impulse to say or think that the person should just "get over it"  may be great. However, the simple fact is that one is not allowed to cause pain to others.

      II
      For example, if someone experienced a terrible or embarrassing incident in a particular location, one should try not to mention that location in their presence. If someone has suffered bankruptcy, one should not bring up the subject of bankruptcy with them, even in an impersonal way, by stating "I read that the bankruptcy rate is way up this week.

      (Positive Word Power by the Chafetz Chaim Heritage Foundation)