1722Friday & Shabbat Parshat Vietchanan

    Aug 8, 2014
      This learning is dedicated l'iluy nishmat Roberta bat Sara.

      When we hear negative things about someone else, we generally hear it from a person who has some level of emotional involvement with the person they are speaking about. Therefore, we can't accept the negativity as objective and can't rely on what the person is saying. This doesn't mean we can't take precautions to protect ourselves from harm, but we shouldn't even be listening to it, unless it is for a constructive purpose, and we need to be careful not to accept it as truth or believe it. .

      II
      In this weeks Torah Portion, Moshe, who is speaking to all the people in G-ds name, calls for witnesses to his words, he calls upon heaven and earth, witnesses who can't be any more opposite and objective, who had no vested interest, did not volunteer, and were not emotionally involved. How much more so we need to be careful not to believe the negativity we hear, especially when it hasn't even been corroborated by at leasttwo different, objective, reliable witnesses.

      (Finding the Right Words: A Weekly Portion of Shemirat Halashon by Rosally Saltsman)

      Create a beautiful, holy, happy, and restful Shabbat!
      - Ora