1716Friday & Shabbat Parshat Devarim

    Aug 1, 2014
      In the merit of this learning may all of the soldiers of the IDF and all of the people of Israel be blessed with complete safety, health, and only revealed good. May all of the injured soldiers and civilians be blessed with an immediate refuah shleima bitoch she'ar cholei yisrael.

      It was with words that G-d created the world. He spoke and it came to be. When He ordained that vegetation sprout forth, His words penetrated the earth, lodged in the soil and invested it with fertility. From creation we learn the power that words channel. Divine words channel Divine power, human words channel human power. They pale in comparison to G-d’s, but they are still powerful.They can’t break stones, but they crush hearts. They can’t move mountains, but they move people. They convey feeling and passion, raw spirit and energy. They connect and sever, build and destroy. They can make or break your day, not to mention your child. Speech is the most powerful tool in the human arsenal. It is G-d’s gift to humanity. Other species communicate, but only humans use words. Greater than the wisdom of our minds, is the power of our oratory. It reaches deep within and brings forth ideas, emotions and energy. It penetrates others and conveys self same. They are powerful hooks that build bridges, craft entry points and forge connections.

      II
      If words are so powerful it follows that we must be exceedingly careful with the way we use them. For example, when you speak of a fellow’s illness avoid dire pronouncements. Instead of saying, "my child is sick," say "my child requires healing." Shift your focus and bring positive energy to bear. You can be as realistic as you like, but don’t transmit negative energy into the world through your words. Words, as we have established, are powerful conveyors of energy. Direct your words to convey positive energy. It’s a difficult lesson to learn and it takes a lifetime to get it right. But when we stop to consider that negative words convey negative energy, we realize that they are the equivalent of sledge hammers. Even in our angriest moments we don’t want to wield a sledgehammer. As we enter the month of Av, historically, a period of tragedy for our people, it is a good time to work on keeping a tighter lid on our temper and a steadier hand on the reins of our words.

      (Rabbi Lazer Gurkow, Devarim: The Power of Words, Jerusalem Post)

      Create a beautiful, quiet, peaceful Shabbat.