155818 Shevat

    Jan 18, 2014
      In the merit of this learning may Yeshayahu ben Miriam be blessed with an immediate refuah shleima bitoch she'ar cholei yisrael.

      Each time we speak badly of others, it is like killing three people; the person speaking, the person being spoken about, and the person listening.

      I - The person listening.
      According to the Talmud, worse than gossiping is listening to gossip. We all know deep down that, although almost everyone does it, speaking badly about people is wrong. The person we are slicing up is being harmed to no end. Yet, we wonder, why is the passive listener the one who is doing the most harm.
      The answer lies in the word passive.

      Of all three parties, the listener is the only one who has the ability to stop the evil speech in its tracks. The speaker has already made the decision to speak badly. The one being spoken about has no control over the situation. The listener is the only one who has the power to change the course of the conversation, which is why the one is put on the listener.

      (Gossip by Lori Palatnik with Bob Burg)