Long-term side effects of RP?

  • john7211011
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 11, 2007
      You often hear that men in their forties are more likely to recover
      from the incontinence and impotency side effects of surgery. However,
      assuming you do recover your functions after surgery, has anyone heard
      anything about the long-term prospects? Are we likely to have
      incontinence and impotency issues recur in our 50s or 60s or 70s
      (assuming we remain cancer-free)?
    • Jeff Smith
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 11, 2007

        Great question. I've inquired about this with a couple of Dr's., but have not seen any published data. Their response was a casual "no" but I don't know if this has been looked into in detail. I have often wondered if incontinence is worse at age 75 after prostate removal at age 50. After all, we are losing a urinary control mechanism, and incontinence is a common problem for elderly even with all their parts!

        Sorry I can't be more informative. I look forward to the response.

        Jeff

        From: "john7211011" <john7211011@...>
        To: prostatecancerunder50@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [prostatecancerunder50] Long-term side effects of RP?
        Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 17:38:04 -0000

        You often hear that men in their forties are more likely to recover
        from the incontinence and impotency side effects of surgery. However,
        assuming you do recover your functions after surgery, has anyone heard
        anything about the long-term prospects? Are we likely to have
        incontinence and impotency issues recur in our 50s or 60s or 70s
        (assuming we remain cancer-free) ?

        Mortgage rates as low as 4.625% - Refinance $150,000 loan for $579 a month. Intro*Terms
      • Vincent S.
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 11, 2007

          Once you regain urinary continence post-RP, I would expect ‘old-age’ incontinence similar to elderly women, as they also only have one urinary sphincter. Kegels kegels kegels – they come in handy now and if they worked for you – they will probably help as you get older.

          Vincent

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 12, 2007
            John, I'd sure like to know the answer to that
            question. I'm 47 and scheduled for a RP on April 6. I
            think that given the improvements in prostate cancer
            options in the last 30 years, there isn't much
            long-term data on recovery for the kinds of treatments
            that are now common. I've got a highly recommended
            surgeon (Huntsman cancer center in Salt Lake City) who
            says he'll do his best on nerve sparing, but my tumor
            (gleason 8) is located on the left very close to a
            nerve bundle, so he won't guarantee anything. I'm just
            going to keep a positive outlook and stay as healthy
            as I can after surgery. Hopefully I'll have a couple
            more decades or more of urinary and sexual
            functioning.

            Dan

            --- john7211011 <john7211011@...> wrote:

            > You often hear that men in their forties are more
            > likely to recover
            > from the incontinence and impotency side effects of
            > surgery. However,
            > assuming you do recover your functions after
            > surgery, has anyone heard
            > anything about the long-term prospects? Are we
            > likely to have
            > incontinence and impotency issues recur in our 50s
            > or 60s or 70s
            > (assuming we remain cancer-free)?

            Finding fabulous fares is fun.
          • Vincent S.
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 12, 2007

              Dan

              We will be thinking about you on April 6th. Let us know if you have any specific questions as you approach the surgery.  I had my RP on Sept. 25, 2002. I was 33 at the time. All clear PSA tests post-op and urinary and sexual function restored (though different than before).

              Vincent

              John, I'd sure like to know the answer to that
              question. I'm 47 and scheduled for a RP on April 6. I
              think that given the improvements in prostate cancer
              options in the last 30 years, there isn't much
              long-term data on recovery for the kinds of treatments
              that are now common. I've got a highly recommended
              surgeon (Huntsman cancer center in Salt Lake City) who
              says he'll do his best on nerve sparing, but my tumor
              (gleason 8) is located on the left very close to a
              nerve bundle, so he won't guarantee anything. I'm just
              going to keep a positive outlook and stay as healthy
              as I can after surgery. Hopefully I'll have a couple
              more decades or more of urinary and sexual
              functioning.

              Dan

              --- john7211011 <john7211011@...> wrote:

              > You often hear that men in their forties are more
              > likely to recover
              > from the incontinence and impotency side effects of
              > surgery. However,
              > assuming you do recover your functions after
              > surgery, has anyone heard
              > anything about the long-term prospects? Are we
              > likely to have
              > incontinence and impotency issues recur in our 50s
              > or 60s or 70s
              > (assuming we remain cancer-free)?

              Finding fabulous fares is fun.

            • zankl2001
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 13, 2007
                John, I'm 47, diagnosed a few months ago with GS 3+3=6 and PSA 2.1
                I haven't scheduled my RP yet, but it seems the best way to go.
                Urinary and sexual functioning, after RP, if you have the conditions
                to recover, usually tend to improve more and more with time and I
                never heard of any report or comment saying it would decline
                afterwards. The contrary is true for Radiation, where at the
                beginning side effects might be minimal, but might increase over
                time. Please consider that above comments are from what I
                learned and not an evidence based report.
                RZ

                --- In prostatecancerunder50@yahoogroups.com, Dan Maryon

                _______________
                > Finding fabulous fares is fun.
                flight and hotel bargains.

              • a_t_pinelli
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 14, 2007
                  John,

                  Had my surgery last week. Had my catheter removed yesterday. So far
                  I can urinate without any major problem (spotted twice due to
                  sneezing). I seem to be continent. I'll know more in the coming
                  weeks. As far as impotency, nothing yet. Once things happen, I'll
                  let you know.

                  --- In prostatecancerunder50@yahoogroups.com, "zankl2001" <zankl@...>
                  wrote:

                  > John, I'm 47, diagnosed a few months ago with GS 3+3=6 and PSA 2.1
                  > I haven't scheduled my RP yet, but it seems the best way to go.
                  > Urinary and sexual functioning, after RP, if you have the conditions
                  > to recover, usually tend to improve more and more with time and I
                  > never heard of any report or comment saying it would decline
                  > afterwards. The contrary is true for Radiation, where at the
                  > beginning side effects might be minimal, but might increase over
                  > time. Please consider that above comments are from what I
                  > learned and not an evidence based report.
                  > RZ
                  >

                  > --- In prostatecancerunder50@yahoogroups.com, Dan Maryon
                  > <dmaryon@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > John, I'd sure like to know the answer to that
                  > > question. I'm 47 and scheduled for a RP on April 6. I
                  > > think that given the improvements in prostate cancer
                  > > options in the last 30 years, there isn't much
                  > > long-term data on recovery for the kinds of treatments
                  > > that are now common. I've got a highly recommended
                  > > surgeon (Huntsman cancer center in Salt Lake City) who
                  > > says he'll do his best on nerve sparing, but my tumor
                  > > (gleason 8) is located on the left very close to a
                  > > nerve bundle, so he won't guarantee anything. I'm just
                  > > going to keep a positive outlook and stay as healthy
                  > > as I can after surgery. Hopefully I'll have a couple
                  > > more decades or more of urinary and sexual
                  > > functioning.
                  > >
                  > > Dan
                  > >
                  > > --- john7211011 <john7211011@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > You often hear that men in their forties are more
                  > > > likely to recover
                  > > > from the incontinence and impotency side effects of
                  > > > surgery. However,
                  > > > assuming you do recover your functions after
                  > > > surgery, has anyone heard
                  > > > anything about the long-term prospects? Are we
                  > > > likely to have
                  > > > incontinence and impotency issues recur in our 50s
                  > > > or 60s or 70s
                  > > > (assuming we remain cancer-free)?

                  > _______________
                  > > Finding fabulous fares is fun.
                  > > Let Yahoo! FareChase search your favorite travel sites to find
                  > flight and hotel bargains.
                  > > http://farechase.yahoo.com/promo-generic-14795097

                • john7211011
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 18, 2007
                    A T,

                    That's great news. I'm 10 weeks post-op and stopped needing any pads
                    this week. I'm real happy about my progress, so yours is terrific.
                    I've had no luck on impotency yet. I have an appt in a few weeks to
                    start the injections. A few months ago, I never would have dreamed
                    I'd be looking forward to putting a needle in my penis! LOL.

                    But the best news is my pathology report showed the PCa was organ
                    confined and my 6 week PSA test came back undetectable.

                    Good luck with your continued progress!

                    John

                    --- In prostatecancerunder50@yahoogroups.com, "a_t_pinelli"
                    <a_t_pinelli@...> wrote:

                    > John,
                    >
                    > Had my surgery last week. Had my catheter removed yesterday. So
                    far
                    > I can urinate without any major problem (spotted twice due to
                    > sneezing). I seem to be continent. I'll know more in the coming
                    > weeks. As far as impotency, nothing yet. Once things happen, I'll
                    > let you know.

                  • Charlie Mayberry
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 19, 2007
                      Good morning all,

                      I am 90 days out from my robotic surgery and contingency has been a very minor problem. I have been taking some of the samples my Dr. gave me and have somewhat of an erection but nothing to do anything with so far. It does seem like early on in the foreplay I am hard enough but then it goes away and doesn't return to form. I am however having great sex and I attribute that to my now not having an orgasm and being done. Now I just keep after her and she is going nuts! Best she has ever had and it's great to give her pleasure. I am being patient in my progress but would like nothing more than to be back to my old self. I am interested in finding out more about the injections and if anyone has tried anything more natural versus the drugs. My Dr. unfortunately is not much help. Also I have found out that you can possibly get the meds covered by your insurance if the Dr. can explain in detail the reason other than ED for the drug usage. Due to damaged nerves and bloodflow as part of the surgery and recovery.

                      Also anybody familiar with VED's?

                      Main thing is I am cancer free and enjoying life.

                      Charlie
                    • a_t_pinelli
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 20, 2007
                        John,

                        I'm happy to hear you doing well.
                        I'm wearing pads only at night when I sleep (just don't trust it yet).
                        So far there has not been a problem.

                        I don't know what to expect with impotency. NOTHING is happening down
                        there. It's only been two weeks. Let me know how the injections go.
                        I don't care if I have to put rebar in it to work. I can see my self
                        going crazy in another month or two.

                        Best regarfds

                        --- In prostatecancerunder50@yahoogroups.com, "john7211011"