Annual cost of treating PCa

  • David Emerson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 17, 2012
      I posted this last year and it generated quite a bit of disuccion.
      Here is the annual report from my insurance compant (United HealthCare)

      Billed Amount:  $144,338.80
      Paid by Plan:    $  67,646.60
      Patient Paid:     $  3,000.00

      This spans Jan 1, 2011 to Dec 21, 2011
      From Jan to June I saw a local oncologist for Lupron and Zometa and June to December the same Onc administered Firmagon and Xgeva.

      Late Jan to June I went to Atlanta aprox 10 times as part of the Zytiga open access trial.

      From August to December I have been traveling to Boston

      (7 times) to participate in the Cabozantinib (XL-184 trial).

      The totals above do not include cost of the trial drugs (Zytiga
      or XL-184).

      --
      David Emerson
      www.flhw.org
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 17, 2012
        I guess it really is all about the MONEY! It's a good thing you have it!
        BR

        On Jan 17, 2012, at 12:07 PM, David Emerson wrote:

        I posted this last year and it generated quite a bit of disuccion.
        Here is the annual report from my insurance compant (United HealthCare)

        Billed Amount:  $144,338.80
        Paid by Plan:    $  67,646.60
        Patient Paid:     $  3,000.00

        This spans Jan 1, 2011 to Dec 21, 2011
        From Jan to June I saw a local oncologist for Lupron and Zometa and June to December the same Onc administered Firmagon and Xgeva.

        Late Jan to June I went to Atlanta aprox 10 times as part of the Zytiga open access trial.

        From August to December I have been traveling to Boston

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 17, 2012
          In this case I would argue it's about the insurance, not the money.
          I was only out 2% ($3,000) of the Billed Amount or a little more than 4% of
          the amount paid by the plan.

          On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Barry Rosenfeld <BarryRosenfeld@...> wrote:

          I guess it really is all about the MONEY! It's a good thing you have it!

          BR

          On Jan 17, 2012, at 12:07 PM, David Emerson wrote:

          I posted this last year and it generated quite a bit of disuccion.
          Here is the annual report from my insurance compant (United HealthCare)

          Billed Amount:  $144,338.80
          Paid by Plan:    $  67,646.60
          Patient Paid:     $  3,000.00

          This spans Jan 1, 2011 to Dec 21, 2011
          From Jan to June I saw a local oncologist for Lupron and Zometa and June to December the same Onc administered Firmagon and Xgeva.

          Late Jan to June I went to Atlanta aprox 10 times as part of the Zytiga open access trial.

          From August to December I have been traveling to Boston

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 17, 2012
            Many people don't have the 3K, be grateful that you do!

            On Jan 17, 2012, at 3:48 PM, David Emerson wrote:

            In this case I would argue it's about the insurance, not the money.

            I was only out 2% ($3,000) of the Billed Amount or a little more than 4% of
            the amount paid by the plan.

            On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Barry Rosenfeld <BarryRosenfeld@...> wrote:

            I guess it really is all about the MONEY! It's a good thing you have it!

            BR

            On Jan 17, 2012, at 12:07 PM, David Emerson wrote:

            I posted this last year and it generated quite a bit of disuccion.
            Here is the annual report from my insurance compant (United HealthCare)

            Billed Amount:  $144,338.80
            Paid by Plan:    $  67,646.60
            Patient Paid:     $  3,000.00

            This spans Jan 1, 2011 to Dec 21, 2011
            From Jan to June I saw a local oncologist for Lupron and Zometa and June to December the same Onc administered Firmagon and Xgeva.

            Late Jan to June I went to Atlanta aprox 10 times as part of the Zytiga open access trial.

            From August to December I have been traveling to Boston

            (7 times) to participate in the Cabozantinib (XL-184 trial).

            The totals above do not include cost of the trial drugs (Zytiga
            or XL-184).

            --
            David Emerson
            www.flhw.org
            Every 2.25 minutes a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
            Every 16.5 minutes a man dies from the disease.

            --
            David Emerson
            www.flhw.org
            Every 2.25 minutes a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
            Every 16.5 minutes a man dies from the disease.

          • James Bober
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 18, 2012
              And you could have saved  a little more if your employer offers a health care savings account (HSA) most do, and you have your $3,000 deductible taken out before taxes and spread across your pay periods.  This way you would have paid taxes on the $3,000 -every little bit helps.

              More importantly, after all these leading treatments...Zytiga, XL-184, what's the prognosis?

              Jim Bober

              In this case I would argue it's about the insurance, not the money.
              I was only out 2% ($3,000) of the Billed Amount or a little more than 4% of
              the amount paid by the plan.

              On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Barry Rosenfeld <BarryRosenfeld@...> wrote:

              I guess it really is all about the MONEY! It's a good thing you have it!
              BR

              On Jan 17, 2012, at 12:07 PM, David Emerson wrote:

              I posted this last year and it generated quite a bit of disuccion.
              Here is the annual report from my insurance compant (United HealthCare)

              Billed Amount:  $144,338.80
              Paid by Plan:    $  67,646.60
              Patient Paid:     $  3,000.00
              This spans Jan 1, 2011 to Dec 21, 2011
              From Jan to June I saw a local oncologist for Lupron and Zometa and June to December the same Onc administered Firmagon and Xgeva.
              Late Jan to June I went to Atlanta aprox 10 times as part of the Zytiga open access trial.
              From August to December I have been traveling to Boston

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 18, 2012
                ZYtiga did very little except may slow down the rate of PSA progression. The XL-184 only uses
                bone scans to determine regression/progression. My last scan on 11-22-11 showed significant reduction
                in the number of areas and overall size of the mets.

                As I wrote in another post, the main side effects are fatigue, loss of appetite and diarrhea.

                On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 5:28 AM, James Bober <james_bober@...> wrote:

[...]

                From Jan to June I saw a local oncologist for Lupron and Zometa and June to December the same Onc administered Firmagon and Xgeva.
                Late Jan to June I went to Atlanta aprox 10 times as part of the Zytiga open access trial.
                From August to December I have been traveling to Boston

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 18, 2012
                  Thanks David.

                  Seems like I'm one step behind you.  Zytiga did do nothing for me.  I'm currently going through Jevtana chemo and after that going into an XL-184 trial at the Duke Prostate Clinic mid-year.

                  Fight the good fight.

                  Jim Bober

                  In this case I would argue it's about the insurance, not the money.
                  I was only out 2% ($3,000) of the Billed Amount or a little more than 4% of
                  the amount paid by the plan.

                  On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Barry Rosenfeld <BarryRosenfeld@...> wrote:

                  I guess it really is all about the MONEY! It's a good thing you have it!
                  BR

                  On Jan 17, 2012, at 12:07 PM, David Emerson wrote:

                  I posted this last year and it generated quite a bit of disuccion.
                  Here is the annual report from my insurance compant (United HealthCare)

                  Billed Amount:  $144,338.80
                  Paid by Plan:    $  67,646.60
                  Patient Paid:     $  3,000.00
                  This spans Jan 1, 2011 to Dec 21, 2011
                  From Jan to June I saw a local oncologist for Lupron and Zometa and June to December the same Onc administered Firmagon and Xgeva.
                  Late Jan to June I went to Atlanta aprox 10 times as part of the Zytiga open access trial.
                  From August to December I have been traveling to Boston
[...]

                    From Jan to June I saw a local oncologist for Lupron and Zometa and June to December the same Onc administered Firmagon and Xgeva.
                    Late Jan to June I went to Atlanta aprox 10 times as part of the Zytiga open access trial.
                    From August to December I have been traveling to Boston