From the September 2004 newsletter of St Seraphim Parish

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5 2:33 PM
      Just a few short years ago, on the 11th of September, the unrest that had
      plagued the rest of the world for years, touched the shores of the United
      States with the destruction of the World Trade Center in New York City and
      the attack on governmental institutions in Washington DC by terrorists. Now,
      just in the past week, equally horrendous terrorist events occurred in
      Russia with the hijacking and destruction of two passenger planes and then
      the siege of a school in the city of Belsan with over 1000 hostages, many of
      whom were small children. The hostages were tortured and humiliated. Their
      clothing was taken from them and they were not allowed even a drink of
      water. In the end there were 350 or more dead and about 700 injured. These
      terrorists were not a local political faction, but a well organized group
      with members from the Arab nations and from Africa. These incidents are not
      the first acts of terror, nor will they be the last, but they do herald the
      advent of an era of worldwide terrorism.

      This time of terror and fear will not go away soon and threatens to be with
      us for some time. It is even possible that the constant threat and fear will
      wear upon the people of the world who will eagerly look for a leader who
      will deliver them from their fear and open the door to the Antichrist who is
      prophesied to deceive the world by presenting just such security. We, who
      are in Christ, need not fear this terror, but at the same time we need to
      know how we should react. I believe that we have been given an example by
      one of the survivors among the hostages of the school in Belsan. When asked
      what they did in the school when the terrorists threatened them, this person
      replied, "We prayed. And those who didn't know how to pray, we taught them."
      Indeed the only Person to Whom we can look for security from such an ever
      present threat of terror is our Lord Jesus Christ. We need not fear him who
      can kill only the body, rather we must fear the one who can destroy the
      soul. In Christ, we need not fear the threat of bodily harm or even death,
      rather we must fear the destruction of our soul through sin.

      When faced with the threat of terror we must pray - we must pray for peace,
      health, safety and length of days for ourselves and all men. We must pray
      for the peace of the world for the welfare of the Church. And those who do
      not know how to pray - we must teach them. This terror is a call to prayer -
      and it is a call to missions. The time is short, even now we approach the
      end and the advent of the antichrist - but we have been granted yet a little
      while to gather all who will come into the ark of salvation, our Holy Mother
      Church. Let us pray and let us teach others to pray while there is yet time.

      Fr. David

      Priest David Moser
      Boise, ID
      homilies: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/propoved/