Homily for 4/13/13 - L4 = prayer fasting and mercy

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2013
      Mark 9:17-31

      There are three things, my brethren, by which Faith stands firm,
      devotion remains constant, and virtue endures. They are prayer, fasting
      and mercy. Prayer knocks at the door, fasting obtains, mercy receives.
      Prayer, mercy and fasting: these three are one, and they give life to
      one another.

      Fasting is the soul of prayer; mercy is the lifeblood of fasting. Let no
      one try to separate them; they cannot be separated. If you have only one
      of them or not all together, you have nothing. So if you pray, fast; if
      you fast, show mercy; if you want your petition to be heard, hear the
      petition of others. If you do not close your ear to others you open
      God’s ear to yourself.

      When you fast, see the fasting of others. If you want God to know that
      you are hungry, know that another is hungry. If you hope for mercy, show
      mercy. If you look for kindness, show kindness. If you want to receive,
      give. If you ask for yourself what you deny to others, your asking is a
      mockery.

      Let this be the pattern for all men when they practice mercy: show mercy
      to others in the same way, with the same generosity, with the same
      promptness, as you want others to show mercy to you.

      Therefore, let prayer, mercy and fasting be one single plea to God on
      our behalf, one speech in our defense, a threefold united prayer in our
      favor.

      Let us use fasting to make up for what we have lost by despising others.
      Let us offer our souls in sacrifice by means of fasting. There is
      nothing more pleasing that we can offer to God, as the Psalmist said in
      prophecy, “A sacrifice to God is a broken spirit; God does not despise a
      bruised and humbled heart.”

      Offer your soul to God, make Him an offering of your fasting, so that
      your soul may be a pure offering, a holy sacrifice, a living victim,
      remaining your own and at the same time made over to God. Whoever fails
      to give this to God will not be excused, for if you are to giv e Him
      yourself you are never without the means of giving.

      To make these acceptable, mercy must be added. Fasting bears no fruit
      unless it is watered by mercy. Fasting dries up when mercy dries up.
      Mercy is to fasting as rain is to the earth. However much you may
      cultivate your heart, clear the soul of your nature, root out vices, sow
      virtues; if you do not release the springs of mercy, you fasting will
      bear no fruit.

      When you fast, if your mercy is thin your harvest will be thin; when you
      fast, what you pour out in mercy overflows into your barn. Therefore, do
      not lose by saving, but gather in by scattering. Give to the poor, and
      you give to yourself. You will not be allowed to keep what you have
      refused to give to others.

      Through the prayers of the holy hierarch Peter, O Christ our God, have
      mercy on us and save us. Amen.
      From the Synaxarion of the Lenten Triodion: A sermon by St Peter
      Chrysologus, Archbishop of Ravenna (+450 A.D.)