Homily for 12/30/07 - 2b4Nat - you are chosen

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2007
      Luke 14:16-24

      This familiar parable is read in the Church each year just two Sundays
      before the feast of our Lord’s Nativity. In it we are reminded of the
      great care with which God prepared the way of His incarnation. All of
      the Law and the Prophets look forward to this moment, the moment when
      the God/man Jesus Christ comes into the world. He is, in fact, the
      fulfillment of the Law and the Prophets – the goal towards which they
      were all aiming. The whole world was prepared by them for this great
      event. As the parable tells us the King – that is God – has prepared a
      great feast for us and has invited us to come and enter into the joy
      that He has prepared for us.

      In the parable however, there were some who refused this invitation,
      considering their own affairs to be more important or more desirable
      than the feast of the King. Although God had chosen them, they did not
      choose God. Is this not like our first parents Adam and Eve. God had
      created them so that they might live in His love and in complete harmony
      with Him. But they chose to follow their own will and not to enter into
      the joy that God had prepared for them. They too were chosen by God but
      they did not choose God and so were cast out of paradise. But our
      Creator, not willing to abandon His creation, prepared a way that we
      might return to Him. This preparation covered centuries and millennia of
      time; it was defined by the law and prophets; it was lived out time and
      time again in the history of God’s chosen people, the children of
      Abraham until finally the Way was ready to be revealed in its fullness.
      The Way that God prepared for us to return to Him is in fact the Person
      of Jesus Christ, God Himself taking human flesh and becoming incarnate.
      Just as through Adam all men fell into sin and corruption and death, now
      through Jesus Christ all men were invited to rise out of that
      condemnation and live again according to the love and grace of God. The
      Way back to the Kingdom of God had been restored. We had again been
      chosen by God. But some refused this second choosing, instead choosing
      to follow their own desires.

      Even so, our God, in His great love for us, holds the door open to all
      mankind that we might enter into this great feast that He has prepared
      for us. He calls us into His Kingdom even though we are poor and
      beggars, bringing nothing of our own to Him other than ourselves. He
      goes into the highways and searches out even those who did not know Him
      so that they might come and share in His joy. The invitations have been
      sent out, the doors are thrown open and we are invited to the feast of
      God’s provision for our salvation. No matter who we are, no matter from
      whence we come, the doors to the Kingdom of God are open to us. We are
      called to set aside our own desires, our own will our own worldly
      pleasures and instead enter into the Life of the Holy Trinity,
      conforming our will to the will of Christ, reaping the joys and
      pleasures of the Kingdom of God in exchange for those of the world. We
      are called to come to Him.

      Today we begin in earnest to move toward the feast of the birth of the
      God/man Jesus Christ. Today we are called to see the great preparation
      that has gone into this event, to marvel and the love and care of God
      for us that He would labor so long and with such great care for us.
      Today we look back at the whole of the history of the people of God and
      see that it is the history of God’s preparation all leading to the
      moment when He would take flesh, become incarnate and enter the world as
      a child. Today you have been given an invitation to come and join the
      feast, to abandon the world and enter the Kingdom of God, to leave your
      own life and receive instead the Life of Christ. Today you have been
      chosen by God – will you then choose Him?