homily for 05/01/05 - PASCHA

    Message 1 of 1 , May 6, 2005
      On Holy Friday Joseph of Arimathaea took down the body of Christ from the
      Cross and wrapped in spices and fine linen. He took the body and placed it
      in a new tomb and sealed the tomb with a stone. On Holy Friday we stand
      before a tomb that is full - full in the sense that it is occupied by the
      body of a man who has died. But the tomb is also empty - it is empty of
      life. The body laid to rest in the tomb is no longer living, it has no
      life. The tomb though it is full is empty.

      On the morning of Pascha, the myrrhbearing women came to the tomb and found
      it empty - that is the stone was rolled away and the body that had been
      placed there was gone. However, although the tomb was empty, it was full of
      life and light and an angel sat on the stone, which had been rolled away and
      proclaimed to the women the good news: Christ is Risen! The tomb, which
      was empty, was indeed full of life.

      What a difference the Resurrection has made. The full yet empty tomb was
      sealed shut and gave forth nothing. The full yet empty tomb brought forth
      only weeping and mourning. The full yet empty tomb appeared to be a symbol
      of defeat and despair. If the Gospel had ended here - if there had been no
      resurrection - then there would have been no joy, no hope, only sorrow, only
      despair. But the tomb did not remain full. On the third day, the sealed
      tomb was opened for it was suddenly too full to remain closed. The formerly
      full but empty tomb was emptied of the Body of the Risen Christ and from it
      now flowed life and with that life, victory, hope and joy. The empty but
      full tomb wipes away all sorrow, all fear, all despair and all death and
      instead from it pours forth joy, hope, and life. What a difference the
      Resurrection has made.

      This is the great paradox of Christianity - the life-giving tomb. Usually
      we think of a tomb as a place of death, lifeless and to be avoided. Yet it
      is from a tomb - a tomb that is empty of death and full of life - that we
      draw our very life. It is from a tomb that our life in Christ flows like a
      river rushing around us and over us, immersing us and filling us. Christ is
      Risen and death is over thrown - the tomb is empty and yet is full of life.
      It is from this empty and yet full life giving tomb that the Gospel is
      proclaimed to us for the first time and for eternity. Why seek ye the
      living among the dead - Christ is Risen!