598Homily for 7/20/14 - P6 - Baptism and the sweet milk of the word

    Jul 20, 2014
      Having just celebrated a new baptism of a child and looking forward to
      two more children to be baptized next week, let us take the opportunity
      to contemplate this great mystery of how a child is born and born again.
      The Holy Apostle Peter writes, “As newborn babes, desire the sincere
      milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby to salvation; for ye have
      tasted that the Lord is gracious.” (1Pet 2:2,3)

      See how “the great Apostle regards Christians as new-born babes. Baptism
      is a new birth, and a man reckons his new life from the time of his
      baptism. But a child new-born in the Spirit must be fed with mild food,
      as must a child new-born in the flesh. What food does the Apostle
      recommend for Christians? ‘The sincere milk of the word’. A natural baby
      is fed on ordinary milk, and this is an image of the ‘sincere milk of
      the word’ on which a spiritual child must be fed. What, then, is this
      milk on which Christians must be fed? The Apostle himself replies to
      this, when he says: ‘for you have tasted that the Lord is gracious’.
      That is, the Lord Jesus Himself, living and life-giving. Christ’s words
      are the sincere milk. It is well with you, my brethren, if your souls
      are fed with the words of Christ as with sweet milk, for your souls will
      be made to grow and be fruitful, and be ready for the Kingdom of God.

      “Christ’s miracles are the sincere milk of the word. It is well with
      you, my brethren, if your souls are fed with this sweet milk, for you
      will be like the angels who, day and night, hymn the wonders of God.

      “Christ’s Body and Blood are the sincere milk of the word. It is well
      with, my brethren, if your souls are fed with this sweet milk, for you
      will be made members of the living and immortal Body of Christ in the
      heavens.

      “The victory over death of Christ’s Resurrection is the sincere milk of
      the word. It is well with you, my brethren, if your souls are fed with
      this sweet milk, for you will walk in the world as victors, and in the
      world to come will stand at the right hand of Christ the Victor.

      “The whole of Christ, my brethren, is the sincere milk of the word. Let
      us desire this milk above all else, that we may grow thereby to
      salvation. This is the one food for salvation; all else is for decay and
      the grave.” (St Bishop Nikolai Velimirovic, The Prologue from Ochrid).

      Our Lord Jesus Christ is indeed this sweet milk upon which we are all
      fed. And just as a babe receives milk from his mother, so also do we
      Christians receive this sweet milk of the word by which we are fed from
      our Holy Mother Church. Thus, from her, we hear the words of Christ,
      just as we heard today in the reading of the Epistle and Gospel. And we
      heard in these words of the Gospel how our Lord performed a great
      miracle – the healing of a man who was lame (Matt 9:1-8). Consider that
      this miracle occurred immediately following two other great miracles;
      the deliverance of the two demoniacs of which we heard last week and the
      calming of the wind and the waves which immediately precedes both of
      these miracles. From these three miracles we see the glory and majesty
      of our Lord as the all-powerful ruler of all creation. He rules over the
      natural forces of the wind and waves and calms them with but a word. He
      rules over the spiritual world, commanding the demons to depart from
      those whom they had possessed. He rules over even our own infirmities
      brought about by our sinfulness, healing both body and soul of the man
      who was paralyzed. There is no aspect of His Creation over which He is
      not the all-powerful ruler.
      We are about to approach another source of this sweet milk, the great
      Mystery of our Lord’s Body and Blood through which we are united to Him.
      And we have just witnessed this baptism which is an image of the three
      day burial and resurrection from the dead of our Lord. Indeed we are
      well fed this day, having been surrounded with the ‘sweet milk of the
      word’ with which we are nourished.

      Having been fed with this sweet food of our salvation, let us then
      endeavor to use it to our profit that we might grow as this newborn
      child will grow. She will not have to “try” to grow as something
      unnatural or uncommon, but rather her growth will occur naturally. It
      remains only for her parents and godparents to protect her and to guide
      and direct that growth, both physical and spiritual, so that she will
      mature into a young woman who will continue in her good growth to the
      glory of God. So also we do not have to “try” to grow spiritually, for
      such is within our nature as the children of God. As long as we remain
      within the care and guidance of our Holy Mother Church and within the
      providence of our loving God and Father, our growth will bring us to the
      full stature for which God has intended us. We only need to avoid
      stepping outside this protective and nurturing care by relying on our
      own ideas and opinions or upon the impulses and enticements of the
      fallen world, for this will warp us and alienate us from our God Who is
      the source of our sustenance and life. Let us remain, instead within the
      life of Christ, being fed upon the sweet milk of His word, held in the
      embrace of our loving Mother Church and growing into His image and
      likeness, living in union and communion with Him that we might be ready
      for the Kingdom of God.