FW: Azores/Madeira Trip: Overall Success in Spite of Problems

  • Robert W Packard
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 26, 2014

      From: Robert W Packard
      Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2014 8:43 AM
      To: sundowners4@...; mmswift@...; epackard@...; Keith_Packard@...
      Cc: dottykay7@...; rgreynolds@...; billpackardmagic@...; robbi-p@...
      Subject: Azores/Madeira Trip: Overall Success in Spite of Problems

      April 15:  Shuttle Flagstaff to Phoenix.  US Air flight from Phoenix to Boston delayed 2 hours due to bad

      weather in Boston forcing me to miss SATA flight from Boston to Porta Delgada, Sao Miguel Island, Azores,

      Portugal.  US Air scheduled flights for me for next day to get me to Porta Delgada and was able to find my

      luggage which had been checked through to Porta Delgada and I spent the night in a Boston hotel which

      US Air would not pay for as the delay was due to weather.  This meant that I would miss hiking with guide

      to Pico da Vara (3619), hp of Sao Miguel, scheduled for 9am April 16.  This was a huge disappointment for

      me.  With internet access at the hotel I canceled the hike as well as my hotel reservation in Porta Delgada

      for the night of April 16.

      April 16:  Canada Air flight from Boston to Toronto followed by SATA flight from Toronto to Porta Delgada followed

      by previously scheduled April 17 flight from Porta Delgada to Horta, Faial Island, Azores.

      April 17:  Taxi to Hotel do Canal in Horta.  Arranged for taxi trip to west end of Faial Island.  Driver drove me to

      very near top of Cabeco Verde (1695, P=725), a near drive-up.  Summit monument at top in bushes near large antenna.  Next he took me to trailhead for Vulcoa das Capelinhus (795, P=405), formed during volcanic activity

      in 1957-1958, the newest European land.  He waited while I hiked up, nesting gulls and terns complaining.

      1 hour, 1 mile, 450 feet elevation gain.  Next I had him take me to trailhead for Cabeco do Canto (1140, P=300)

      which is between the previous two summits.  Summit monument at top with views both E and W.

      Hike was .5h, .5m, 300f.  Back in Horta I tried to get to top of Monte da Guia (475, P=375), but top is

      restricted because of national defense facilities.  Circumventing this lead to impossible brush.  Pico Alto on

      Pico Island just to the E looms impressively 7700+ feet above the Atlantic.

      April 18:  Rob Woodall and Adrian Rayner show up at hotel with rental car.  We drove up paved roads to caldera

      rim of Cabeco Gordo (3422, P=3422), hp of Faial.  Took rim trail to hp.  Walked around fence protecting radio

      equipment.  Rob and Adrian were able to squeeze under gate in fence, but I was too fat to get under.  Land

      inside and outside comparable in height.  1.1h, 1.5m, 500f.  Cloudy, rain.  Views into caldera.

      Ferry from Horta to Madalena on Pico Island.  Rental car.  Drive to Lajes and Bela Vista Hotel.

      April 19:  Drove up paved roads to trailhead for Pico Alto (7713, P=7713), hp Pico and hp Portugal.

      Got to top under trying conditions, heavy wind sometimes making it hard to stand up, rain, wet and cold,

      temperatures hovering around the freezing mark, snow on ground top 1500 feet.  The wind took my

      baseball cap which I was wearing over my balaclava to keep my hood from covering my eyes.

      I chipped a front tooth trying to pull a sopping wet glove on my numb hand.  My hands got

      numb.  In fact the tip of my right thumb is STILL numb.  Fell twice on way down, once hitting a rock

      with my rib cage.  Very sore for 3-4 days, still a little sore.  Anyhow I made it, helped by understanding,

      patience and encouragement from Rob and Adrian.  8.7h, 6m, 3700f.  Back to Bela Vista Hotel.

      April 20:  Flight to Terceira Island, Azores.  Car rental.  Drove up Santa Barbara (3350, P=3350), hp

      Terceira.  Radio towers, overlook of caldera, views very poor due to fog.  Drove S to coast and visited

      Monte Brasil which has two summits.  We drove to top of Pico do Facho (673, P=540) and did short

      hike to top of Pico do Zimbrero (665, P=308).  Next we drove up Serra da Cume (1788, P=510), a

      ridge SW of Praia da Vitoria.  Wind farm, radio towers.  Rob and Adrian (Adrian did all the driving, Rob

      the navigating) drove me to my Hotel Espirito Santo in Vitoria.  We had pizza in restaurant in same building

      with hotel.  They went to airport for flights to mainland Portugal.

      April 21.  In morning I explored Serra de Santiago (430, P=~250), a ridge N of Vitoria.  Top is a series of

      farms, mostly cows.  Found the candidates for hp.  Walked the top SE to NW then walked the saddle with

      Serra da Cume NW to SE back to hotel.  2.5h, 6m, 300f.   Taxi to airport.  Mt flight to Lisbon, Portugal 2 hours

      late due to weather somewhere, causing me to miss my flight from Lisbon to Madeira.  When I deplaned in

      Lisbon I was handed a boarding pass for a later flight with assurances that my luggage would be on same

      flight.  But when I arrived in Funchal, Madeira luggage missing.  Taxi to Hotel Monte Carlo in Funchal

      arriving 2am April 22.  On this drive I decided not to use the car rental I had arranged for April 22-23.

      April 22:  When rental car guy came by hotel I sent him away and arranged for taxi for travel around

      Madeira.  More expensive than car rental but with huge benfits.  I'd have driver who knew the roads

      and would act as my tourist guide as well as taking me to my summits.  We visited several places,

      including Cabo Girao, a sea cliff dropping 1900 feet from glass bottomed observation deck to beach

      directly below, on way to high plateau called Paul da Serra.  We drove to car park at trailhead for

      Pico Ruivo do Paul da Serra (5407, P=2106), hp of the plateau.  Driver went to top with me.

      Square cement tower on top with view points looking down to Sao Vicente.  Wind farm on the plateau

      to the SE.   9h, 1m, 300f.  Driver took me W and N to coast.  Visited Porto Moniz with its freshwater

      swimming pools right at the ocean edge.  Visited several places including waterfalls and Sao Vicente on

      the way back to Funchal.  I did this trip in my travel clothes.  My luggage appeared at my hotel 4pm.

      Spent time exploring the Funchal water front.

      April 23:  Driver takes me to trailhead for Pico Ruivo (6109, P=6109), hp Madeira.  Constructed trail, mostly

      flagstone, to summit with trig point cement monument and short lava tower with religious plaque.  Broad

      observation deck covered with small flat cobbles.  Wooden decks mentioned by Woodall in his

      Peakbagger trip report now gone having been burned in 2010 fire caused by sparks from below

      carried by high winds.  No views due to fog.  Rain on return hike.  2.1h, 3.5m, 1000f.  Driver takes me

      to Pico do Ariero (5965, P=738) in very thick fog, no views, trig point at top.  Could barely make out the

      outline of large satelite tracking station just feet away in the fog.  On way back to Funchal among other

      places visited fish farm and Monte with famous church and wicker basket toboggan rides.

      April 24:  Flights from Madeira to Porto, Portugal, then from Porto to Newark where I saw my luggage

      going through customs and immigration, then from Newark to Phoenix, luggage missing.  Shuttle to

      Flagstaff arriving just after midnight.  Luggage arrives 4pm April 25.

      I had expected:  7 summits, 6 2k's, 2 ultras.

      I got:  12 summits, 5 2k's, 2 ultras.

      Now have 5495 summits, 1003 2k's, 168 ultras.

    • Rob Woodall
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 26, 2014

        Good to hear you made it home, Bob. Not too much luck with the flights and luggage but 2 ultras, 12 p 300 summits so who's complaining.

        Great to hike with you and thanks for sharing your 1000 th with us. Summitting Pico in quite nasty conditions, a prime example of Packard dogged determination!

        Rob

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 26, 2014
          Quite a trip, Bob

          Sounds like April is rainy season, best to go a different time
        • Rob Woodall
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 27, 2014

            We were told June is a good time: good weather but pre main season
            But so many places to go in June...
            Rob