Shortest Canada to Mexico chain of inter-visible peaks

  • Andy Martin
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 25, 2014
      Have added prominence egroup to the routing,
      as these peaks have decent prominence.

      Adam Helman raised the topic of
      "Create the longest string of cohps visible
      from each other, i.e. A sees B sees C sees D etc... ."

      A related topic is the shortest chain of inter-visible
      cohps from Canadian soil to Mexican soil.
      A chain of 11 points is described below.

      (tommyl810)
      >>On the subject of vistas, a couple of good resources are
      peakfinder.org http://peakfinder.org and heywhatsthat.com
      http://heywhatsthat.com

      Thank you tommy 1810, whoever you are ;)

      I used peakfinder to come up with the following
      "line of sight" peaks. Assuming their data is valid:

      North from Shasta
      187 miles to South Sister OR
      146 miles to Adams WA
      47 miles to Mount Rainier WA
      185 miles to Judge Howay Canada **

      South from Shasta CA
      143 miles to Snow Mountain East CA
      182 to Sonora Peak CA
      90 to White Mountain Peak CA
      73 to Whitney CA
      190 to San Gorgonio CA
      then perhaps about 140 miles over the Salton Sea
      and perhaps to Mexican dirt near Mexicali.
      For a nicer view of Mexican peaks hop 166 miles to
      Signal Peak AZ, then look SW 205.

      If we are allowed use non-cohps then
      Whitney -> 200 miles to Loma Prieta
      -> 165 Snow Mountain East
      -> Shasta
      saves a couple hops.

      Follow up topics:

      1. Shortest number of hops Denali to Orizaba,
      "summits" only please.
      Ties broken by largest sum of prominence.

      2. Climb the resulting list and take inter-visible pics !

      **
      http://bivouac.com//MtnPg.asp?MtnId=1191
      This peak is #71 in Prominence List for British Columbia . Located about
      10 km north of the head of Stave Lake, and just west of the Stave River.
      The distinctive dark twin summits are visible to the east from just
      about any of the local north shore peaks around Vancouver, including The
      Lions, Hollyburn, Coquitlam Mountain, Golden Ears, and Robie Reid. The
      approach is a multi-modal approach requiring a canoe to get up the lake,
      then some form of transport to get up the road, then a challenging ford
      of the Stave River, and then the glorious vertical bush of the lower
      climb. All in all, a climb of over 2000 meters starting from only about
      100 m above sea level. The bush is filled with cliff bands and rock
      outcroppings, and tales of disaster and failure are easy to obtain.
    • Rob Woodall
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 26, 2014

        Interesting concept, Andy, am sharing with the UK list as it would be interesting so see how a British version would look.

        Pete and I looked at Judge Howay, and quickly decided that Silvertip was as far into BC ultras as we were going to venture on our 2013 trip!

        Rob

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 26, 2014
             I have sent a note to  peakfinder.org regarding the technical details
          of their algorithm used to determine summit viewsheds.

             The aim is verifying their correctness so we have *confidence* in the
          resulting theoretical mountaintop views.  Atmospheric refraction is a
          particularly difficult issue when it comes to whether a very distant peak
          is indeed visible - and with direct and obvious consequences for any
          would-be chain of intervisible peaks.

             Perhaps Jonathan Ferranti (of the prominence Egroup) might elaborate
          as I see from one of peakfinder's "FAQ" pages that he provided certain
          digital datasets - and so maybe an algorithm as well ?

             There are SEVERAL metrics created with the intervisible peak concept -
          not just the longest span. I have enumerated them at the cohp discussion group;
          and would gladly do such by private message if anyone is interested at the
          prominence group.

          NOTE:

             This entire discussion began when Lanny Wexler (cohp egroup) described
          county highpoints with exceptionally good views of cities, i.e. Mount Rainier
          looking to Seattle (a view on his long-term wishlist).  Credit where credit is due....

                         Adam Helman

          PS  Andy: I renamed your original "Subject" below to "Minimal Set"
                (rather than the original "Longest") as I believe that more aptly describes your intention:
                 determine that unique Mexico-Canada chain with the least NUMBER of cohps.

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 27, 2014

            It is a while since I have immersed myself in panoramas and lines of sight. In recent years I have concentrated more on DEM development. The results are downloadable from http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/dem3.html.

            Go to http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/panoramas.html where there are links to two good sites, one of which is peakfinder. The other is not heywhatsthat, I have not checked out heywhatsthat for a while, but last time I did, it was using exclusively SRTM data, which is missing many steep mountains like K2 and Matterhorn, and the resolution of its panoramas was low.

            Jonathan

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 27, 2014

                Hello Jonathan,

                    Please share details of the model assumptions used to compute horizon distance
              as a function of summit elevation. I am particularly interested in learning if and how
              atmospheric refraction was accounted for.

                   Sincerely,
                                  Adam H.