Re: [prominence] Bob Packard's 1000th 2000+ foot prominence

  • Rob Woodall
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 20, 2014

      I can confirm that Bob now has his 1001st p2k in the bag, Santa Barbara on Terceira. He has plenty of time for the Madeira pair so will hopefully return home with 1003.

      Adrian and I are about to board a flight to Lisbon with a few District highpoints on the agenda before returning home.

      Rob

      On 20 Apr 2014 18:50, "Adam Helman" <helman@...> wrote:

         It depends on how many P2Ks Bob get on his current journey,
      will know ONLY when Bob returns to the USA to provide a peak count update.

         Unfortunately the possibilities include peaks you've already done.

         Bob missed the first P2K of his journey owing to an airline foul-up.
         HAD he gotten that one, his 1000th clean prom WOULD have been
         Cherry Creek Benchmark on May 16.

         If Bob gets all his current trip's *remaining* P2Ks then it's Dolly Varden Mountains HP.
         If he misses one additional P2K then it's Goshute Peak.
         If he misses two then it's Spruce Mountain, and so forth.

         The complete itinerary follows with dates (which cannot be altered
      because John Hamann is joining us for 3 peaks and he's purchased
      airline tickets).

                 Adam H.

                  May 9 (Friday) through May 24 (Saturday)

        May 9 - Adam drives with Richard Carey from San Diego,
                    meeting Bob in Ash Springs along US Route 93.

        May 10 through 12

                Fortification Range Highpoint,
                Major Benchmark West
                Egan Benchmark in THAT order

        May 13  Telegraph Hill
        May 14  Ray Benchmark
        May 15  Butte Mountains Highpoint
        May 16  Cherry Creek Benchmark (NV Fifty Finest)
                    - With John Hamann

               (These four comprise a natural set)

        May 17  Dolly Varden Mtns Highpoint
                    - With John Hamann

        May 18  Goshute Peak (NV Fifty Finest)
                    - With John Hamann

        May 19  Spruce Mountain (NV Fifty Finest)

        May 20  High Bald Peaks

        May 21  Pearl Peak (NV Fifty Finest)

        May 22  Roberts Creek Mtn (NV Fifty Finest)

        May 23  extra day to accomodate poor weather

        May 24  Return drive

          Replacement Peaks if Pearl Peak, Roberts Creek Mtn
       are too snowy and/or have NOT used bad weather days.

        Big Bald Mountain
        Buck Mountain

        Ward Mountain (lower priority: I've already done it)

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 20, 2014

        Hi Rob and all,

        From this earlier note by Bob Packard prior to his current trip it's clear there's an eleven difference between his
        interpolated and clean counts -

        "I have 998 interpolated and 987 clean 2k's at the moment. In the Azores and Madeira I hope to get
        6 more 2k's, all clean. Thus, on return home I should have 1004 interpolated and 993 clean."

          Therefore the 1003 you cite, Rob, corresponds to 992 clean - and hence the 8th Nevada Peak would
        be his 1000th by that measure (which neither he nor I consider particularly stellar as a statistic).

           That 8th peak would be Dolly Varden Mountains highpoint as cited in my last message.

                     Adam