RE: Jamaica/Cuba Part 1: Jamaica

  • Robert W Packard
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2014

      Peggy and I and Ken and Karen Jones were in Jamaica only 2 full days and parts of 2 more days.

      The whole stay from airport pick up to airport drop off was handed by Lime Tree Farm, a coffee farm

      high up in the mountains with cabins.

      Feb 6,7:  Peggy and I have overnight AA flight from Phoenix to Miami where we meet the Joneses

      for flight to Kingston where we are met by a van that takes us up winding mountain road where we are

      transferred to Lime Tree Farm Land Rover driven by Roger, one of the owners, for 4WD up to the farm.

      While at the farm we are served gourmet meals.  The 2 owners, Roger and Charlie, Englishmen with

      Jamaican wives, join us.

      Feb 8:  Roger drives us on long 4WD road to 6:45AM start of hike up Blue Mountain (7402, P=7402),

      high point of Jamaica.  The 5 of us use excellent trail through tropical canopy in Blue Mt NP.  There is

      a trig point at top. Round trip was 7.5 hours, 12 miles, 3400 feet of elevation gain.  Others on trail

      including several college age Jamaicans and a few foreigners.

      Feb 9:  More Land Rover driving, this time with Charlie, to start of bird watching hike.  We are joined by

      2 bird watching guides, so 7 on the hike which was on a trail. Many good bird sightings.  Ken kept track,

      ended up with 20 or so species.  Interesting flora as well.  About 4.5 hours, perhaps 3 miles.

      Feb 10:  Roger drives us to the Kingston airport.  Joneses have flights home.  Roger drives Peggy and I

      to downtown Kingston, then back to airport for our Aerogaviota flights to Santiago de Cuba.

      Bob Packard

    • Rob Woodall

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2014

          Saw nothing dangerous on the 4WD's in Jamaica.  Just very steep, rough and rutted, 4WD necessary.

          Perhaps the trip reports in Peakbagger were talking about sections of other roads.  There is more than

          one way to get to trailhead for Blue Mt.  Also, area had been fairly dry when we were there.

          Our hosts said that their road does get washed out periodically.

          Bob Packard