a truly interesting "liner"

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 26, 2014
      I am organizing yet another Andean peak trip for next northern winter.
      Among the mountains considered is Ecuador's Nevado Cayambe (18,996 feet)
      which lies remarkably close to the Equator.

      Since I've already climbed it my interest will focus on visiting the point
      where Earth's Equator reaches its maximum elevation of roughly 15,420 feet.

                 http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=34778                 [1]
                              ("Cayambe-Equator Highpoint")

      Sound familiar?  Yep - this is indeed a liner - with a different definition:
      whereas a normal cohp liner contains the highest point of a two-dimensional
      space on either side ("counties"), this liner necessarily contains the highest
      point along its own (one-dimensional) 24,900 mile length.

      According to Reference [1] (presumably Greg Slayden's research) we have
      as exact location 0° 0' 0'' S; 77° 59' 38'' W  using the WGS84 datum.

      This is nearly the same elevation as the 15,200 foot climber's refuge,
      and may or may not be partly on snow depending on climate change.

      The 4WD-accessible climber's refuge is at 0° 0' 31'' N; 78° 00' 35'' W  a mere 0.90 mile northwest.

      The summit, of course, is fully encased in permanent snow and ice -

      see for instance

      and also

      from the tippy-top.

      This is the FIRST TIME i've been EXCITED about visiting a liner with zero prominence.

                Adam Helman

    • gregslayden
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 27, 2014

        Adam,

        Do be aware that the precise location of the equator depends on the datum you are using.  The location I researched is based on the WGS84 datum.  But in Ecuador they sometimes use SAD69 or other datums, which will shift the equator's ground position by up to several hundred meters.  So in some sense, this "liner" is a moving target and many may find this imprecision unsatisfactory.  See this link:

        http://googlesightseeing.com/2009/11/the-equator/

        Same thing occurs in Greenwich, England, where tourists carrying WGS84-set GPS units find that the telescope crosshairs at the Old Observatory are actually some distance from the WGS84 prime meridian.

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 27, 2014

           Hello Greg,

              Nice article, featuring Ecuador as much as any other Equator-bound nation
          (and why not given its name!)

              Surely I'd be using the WGS84 datum, pre-wired coordinates in my device before leaving home.
          And given the expense of failure, I'd surely wander up and down the slope (in addition to wandering
          east and west as expected) to ensure that ALL possible definitions of Earth's central line are accomodated -
          not just based on WGS84 since SA69 presumably does a better job of modeling Earth's surface
          irregularities in South America compared with the worldwide standard datum (WGS84).

             What's really neat, of course, is that unlike all liners in the county highpointing universe,
          and indeed all geopolitically defined boundaries, THIS line (or arc) is not artificial -
          it has a "cosmic significance", if you will, transcending all the rest.

             I look forward to providing the first trip report at your website for this fascinating location -
          and maybe come late July for the Snow Dome triple point if time permits:

           - the only place outside Antarctica where water flows to THREE oceans.

                    Adam Helman