Mclellans' Andean adventures

  • Rob Woodall
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 11, 2014
      I thought I'd Boltonize my fellow UK based bagger Richard Mclellan's Ultras ascents and put them on peakbagger.

      He and his wife Denise have spent a month in the Lakes District (Chile and Argentina) and so far have summitted 9 ultras and turned back on a further two. The one "easy" peak they missed out on was Lanin, due to weather.

      I've included brief notes taken from Richard's emails

      They were hoping to bag one more ultra before leaving. This would put Richard on 153 ultras or thereabouts.

      Rob

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 11, 2014
           Hello Rob,

                   VERY thoughtful of you to put Richard Mclellan's ascents onto peakbagger!

                  Now that's accomplished "we" have a more complete record here of ultra ascenionists -

                          http://www.peakbagger.com/FRL.aspx?lid=712              (here Richard listed at 147 ultras)

                   and putting myself, properly for the first time, in fifth rather than fourth place.
              Of course if his wife exceeds 120 ultras then I must retract the above statement 8-).

                   I am selecting pictures from your albums for my overall Chile-Columbia report. The ones at Facebook are large enough
        at 960 x 720 pixels that originals are not required - unless I specify this-and-that picture in particular.

                         Adam H.

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 11, 2014
          Adam wrote

                    Now that's accomplished "we" have a more complete record here of ultra ascenionists -

                            http://www.peakbagger.com/FRL.aspx?lid=712              (here Richard listed at 147 ultras)

                     and putting myself, properly for the first time, in fifth rather than fourth place.
                Of course if his wife exceeds 120 ultras then I must retract the above statement 8-).

          Denise has 111 or 112 at present, but they are footloose for the time being, so mind your back :-)

          The top end of the ultras league is becoming rather European dominated !

          Rob
        • dillmore
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 12, 2014
            Rob:

            "The top end of the ultras league is becoming rather European dominated !"

            Surely a reflection of Europe's much better developed concept of work-life balance (more vacation!)

            Shannon
          • Rob Woodall

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 12, 2014
                Adam wrote

                                  http://www.peakbagger.com/FRL.aspx?lid=712              (here Richard listed at 147 ultras)

                There were a few naming issues but I think I've now matched all his peaks. The FRL now shows him on 151. The two "missing" peaks are China's Tai Shan (p1505m but currently with no prom figure) and Cima Brenta which is P1496 on peakbagger, pending an accurate survey.

                           and putting myself, properly for the first time, in fifth rather than fourth place.
                      Of course if his wife exceeds 120 ultras then I must retract the above statement 8-).

                Denise M is now there too, following a respectful 40 peaks behind her husband ;-)

                Rob
              • James Barlow
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 15, 2014
                  Rob, Adam, et al,
                  Just the other day I arrived at a register on a very obscure ultra here in Mexico hoping to be the second party to sign into it. The first party was Adam, Bob P, Rob, and Duane G from 2012. When I opened the jar, it had a name I had never heard of from the UK just 2 months after the trip with the 4 folks I have heard of. I figured when I wrote my whole trip report I would email Rob as he may know this mystery prom bagger. Anyway, remarkable timing in this email about Mr. McClellan. I'm still in Mexico for another week of peakbagging, so I hope to have a full report not long after I return home. I did take pictures of the register with the intent of sharing with Rob, Adam, Duane, and Bob. I'll send them once I get them off my camera and on to my computer back home. Oh yeah, the peak is Cerro La Joya for the curious.
                  James Barlow

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 15, 2014
                    James

                    Yes Richard Mclellan was out there about a month after us.

                    La Joya is an interesting ascent!  Did you use the locals with machetes? They must be wondering about this sudden influx of gringos wanting to climb their mountain

                    Rob

                    Rob

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 15, 2014

                       Congratulations, Jim, on this rather obscure ultra that few in the Mexican climbing community know about.
                       For extra credit in class, you'll be pleased to know it's the Queretaro State prominence point!

                       Give my regards to the drug runners who funded the extra-classy homes on your approach drive 8-).

                        How much did you pay the locals for helping you summit ... or was this a solo ascent?

                        My report (see the January 4 entry) -

                        ROB:  Do consider sharing this news with Mr. McLellan. I don't have his address.

                                   -  Adam Helman

                      PS    La Joya is "the jewel" in Spanish.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 15, 2014

                        Isn’t Querétaro (and Guanajuato) HP El Zamorano? I think we had this discussion before.

                        La Joya means The Jewel, indeed. Keep in mind that many geographical places are named Joya as a corrupted version of Hoya (I think it translates as basin)

                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 15, 2014

                          Sorry, I see what you mean by state prominence. Joya is 1860m and Zamorano 1440m.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 15, 2014

                               Yes indeed, Rodulfo -  El Zamorano is the HIGHPOINT of Querereto and Guanajuato states -

                                                  (E =  3360+ m, P = 1450 m)

                               However Cerro La Joya is the most PROMINENT peak in Queretaro - and as I stated previously -

                                                  (E = 2920 m, P = 1860 m - see entry #13)

                               IF YOU EVER LEARN THAT POPOCATEPETL is legally climbable send us a message :
                            and I will be 'down' there the very next winter. I am willing to wait two decades if need be.

                                 Sincerely,
                                                 Adam Helman