Ixty high spot, 14 million lifetime prominence (with repeats)

  • Andy Martin
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2014
      Am forwarding a discussion between Dave Covill and Adam Helman
      in the cohp egroup. Some may be interested in

      1. Hand level observations on Ixty in Mexico.

      2. Mexican Guide Vicente Azpeitia reported to have
      climbed Orizaba ~800 times, and Izta ~300 times.
      This gives sum of peaks prominence of about 14 million.

      For comparison select Career Go on

      http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Content/promsum.php

      - Andy

      (Dave Covill - Ixty)
      >Determined actual summit (there is some controversy on
      > SummitPost TR's) to be SE spot, SW is 10' lower, NE is 3' lower 1/2 mile
      > away. Had my 5X power hand level for this reason.

      (Adam)
      This is important news. Suspect that the true top changes over time with
      snow coverage - or is this ROCK we are talking about here?
      Regardless, "Ixta" is surely tougher than Orizaba.

      (Dave)
      ### Pardon. Both high spots were bare ground now. Snw nearby, but not on
      actual high areas, at least 10x10' area on each. I am about 90% certain
      that the SE is 3' +/- 2' higher than the NE. i.e. it is between 1 and 5'
      higher. The SW spot was 10' lower, and snow covered. Several guys looked
      through the level and agreed with what I was seeing, not that they are used
      to determining relative elevations by any means. GPS and Altimeter were
      useless, varying wildly.

      (Adam)
      Uncertain WHY guides were needed for the big volcanoes. The routes are
      well-known and the climbing issues are well within your abilities to lead.

      (Dave)
      ### Recall we were 12, with varying abilities. No way to herd cats
      together on big peaks, we usually were in 2 and sometime 3 or 4 pods on the
      way up and down each peak. Hired guides for minimal dollars to watch
      laggards, and to escort downwards anyone not having a good day. # well
      spent IMHO. Lead Guide Vicente Azpeitia has climbed Orizaba ~800X, and
      Izta ~300X. He's 48, been guiding 30 years, guides most every day half the
      year and occasionally in the off-season, only guides the big volcanoes. Do
      the math, totally logical he has that many ascents. Wow....
    • David Mason
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2014
        Volcanoes that aren't completely dead could possibly rise or sink slightly, and might change shape enough to move  the location of the exact high point to a different part of the crater rim, according to what's going on underneath!
      • Andy Martin
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2014
          On 2/1/2014 1:35 PM, David Mason wrote:
          > Volcanoes that aren't completely dead could possibly rise or sink
          > slightly, and might change shape enough to move the location of the
          > exact high point to a different part of the crater rim, according to
          > what's going on underneath!

          There was a thread about this problem
          a while back concerning
          world 50 peak Klyuchevskaya Sopka:

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klyuchevskaya_Sopka

          Etna is also has this issue, as described in Petter's report

          http://www.ii.uib.no/~petter/mountains/3000mtn/etna.html

          - Andy
        • rodulfoaraujo
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 3, 2014
            1) Regarding Iztaccíhuatl, I have followed the very detailed topographic model that INEGI has (National Statistics and Geographic Institute, a federal dependency). The northern point is 1m higher than the southern point of the Pecho (breast) glacier. This is impossible to measure with a commercial GPS.

            2) Regarding Vicente, the claim is probably false. The owner of the company hat he works for made an estimate of "up tp" 50 climbs in the 5-month long high altitude season, plus about 10 or 20 more out-of-season climbs. This makes 60 climbs per year for a 3-year period that he has guided. Before guiding, he has about 20 years of climbing experience but his boss said that the figure was wildly exaggerated (hard to even afford all those trips).