Mount Cleveland, MT

  • Hamann, John G Civ USAF ACC 49 CES/CEIE
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 25, 2013
      Me, Ken Jones, and John Klein are tentatively scheduled to try Mount Cleveland next August if we can get a permit. We have room for one more person. If you're interested in going, let me know. I can't make any guarantees, but I will put you on the list of potential trip members and we'll see what happens. Send me an e-mail at john.hamann@....

      John
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 25, 2013
        Hello John Hamann,

           I see you are nudging towards that coveted CONUS ultra completion! That's great.

           Each participant should independently submit a permit application.
        And the dates specified on each permit should be DIFFERENT between applications.

           This ploy will maximize chances of getting an acceptable camping arrangement.
        You will then have to appoint the "winning climber" as pointman for all communications
        with the Park Service.

           If YOU end up with the "winning permit" and yet fail to appear (as happened in 2010)
        then one of the other participants must assume that role.

           August is better than July owing to lingering snow. Review the ledge-based photographs
        here and ask yourself if dry earth is not indeed the better plan -

                        http://www.cohp.org/mt/images/Glacier.xml

          (See photos numbered 5, 16-19, 21-22 and particularly number 18!.
           You slip - you die, and the route is like that for miles. Dry earth.)

           I've cc'ed Ken Jones and John Klein.

           Good luck finding a fourth.
        Three people total, however is more than sufficient.

                Sincerely,
                               Adam Helman

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 25, 2013
          Hi Andy,

          Thanks for the link to your Mt. Cleveland climb photos.  Impressive!  Great weather.

          In the distant past I determined (based on the USGS maps that I manually evaluated) that Cleveland's ~ NE face has the greatest plunge (in the conterminous U.S.) in 0.5 horizontal miles: ~ 4800 ft maximum vertical drop!

          Your photos are inspiring, and may encourage me to plan a climb of Mt. Cleveland.

          Take care out there,

          Steve Fry

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 25, 2013

             Hello Steve,

                 That vertical drop is immense for just 2,640 horizontal feet.

                 This picture is relevant, from the summit looking north northeast -

                 This map suggests your vertical plunge lies northwest and southeast (not northeast)

                            Adam Helman

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 25, 2013
              Hi Adam,

              Thanks for your reply, the correction and photo and map links.

              You're correct, it is actually the NW face (you would know better than me, since you climbed it).  I shouldn't rely on my memory.

              I just looked at my 9/2/1995 notes, and here's another correction:  Using Mt. Cleveland 1:24,000 USGS Quad, I determined that the maximum vertical drop (MVD) in 0.5 miles is 4366 ft (from 10,466 - 6,100 ft) on the NW face (not 4800 ft).  I still think it is the greatest drop in the Lower 48 States, that I measured.

              Other parameters I measured and recorded on 9/2/95: Base elevation = 4196 ft (Waterton Lake - Porcupine Ridge), Rise Above Base = 6270 ft.  MVD in 1.0 mile = 4906 ft (NW face).  MVD in 0.1 mile = 2,000 ft (NW face, 9760 - 7760 ft), MVD in 1.0 km = 4646 ft (1416 meters) NW face, MVD in 0.5 km = 3266 ft (995.5 meters) NW face, MVD in 0.1 km = 1700 ft (518 m) NW face, MVD in 0 ft/m is on the peak's N face (1195 ft/364 m) (8395-7200 ft).

              I'm somewhat certain that I learned about Cleveland's steep face back in the early-mid 1980s.  I was aware of Davis Peak's precipitous drop in one mile (> 5,300 ft) back in the early 1970's - when I was first crunching numbers using USGS topos.  I hiked-up to Stetattle Ridge, near Sourdough Mtn (in the NCNP) in ~ October 1978, with my friend Scott Dobrowolski, and we took photos of Davis' big face.  I was planning on writing an article about WA's steepest mtn faces in 1978, but I didn't get it done until the spring of 1984 (Signpost magazine).

              My 1995 data analysis of Cleveland, and the purchase of a Glacier NP topo map, spurred my listing of all of the peaks with at least 250 ft prominence (in Glacier National Park) during 9/4-29/1995 - according to my written log.  I later compiled key data from the list, however the tabulation is rough - since the contour interval of the map I used was 80 ft.  I never published this mountain list.

              Thanks again Adam,

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 25, 2013
                On 11/25/2013 6:23 PM, Steve&Karen Fry wrote:
                > Your photos are inspiring, and may encourage me to plan a climb of Mt.
                > Cleveland.

                (Andy)
                Many Thanks go to Dennis Poulin and Adam for taking these
                pictures - I had more than enough weight to lug uphill,
                so did not tote my camera :(
              • Metzler, David
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 25, 2013
                  Indeed, Cleveland is impressive, as additionally evidenced by its appearing at #4 on the CONUS RORS list, with RORS = 672 meters, just under Mount Shasta and the Grand Teton, and just above Mount Hood:

                  http://www.peaklist.org/spire/lists/contig-20.html

                  David M.

                  ________________________________
                  That vertical drop is immense for just 2,640 horizontal feet.

                  This picture is relevant, from the summit looking north northeast -

                  http://www.cohp.org/mt/images/Glacier/Adam_Helman/Cleveland_summit_sharp_horns_50.jpg

                  This map suggests your vertical plunge lies northwest and southeast (not northeast)

                  http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=48.92479,-113.84808&z=15&t=T

                  Adam Helman

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 30, 2014

                    Three of us have a trip planned to Mount Cleveland for Aug 13-15.  We have a permit for that date.  We have one spot open in our group.  If you want to come, let me know.  Send e-mail to john.hamann@....

                    John

                  • johnh13679
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 10 4:54 AM

                      We have one spot available on our permit to climb Mt Cleveland in mid-August.  Contact me at john.hamann@... if you're interested.