National Parks closure; trip report

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2013
      In reference to the current federal government shutdown,
      One of the more hearthwrenching results of an NPS closure
      would be if it occurs during the Denali climbing season.

      Foreign climbers spend thousands of dollars and plan
      for months, or even years, for flying to Alaska and eventually
      the Kahiltna Base Camp.

      Then too hundreds of Americans pay big bucks to go guided.

      In either case a mandatory visit the Talkeetna Ranger Station
      includes payment of Park entrance fee and of the
      ever-rising climber fee to hedge against rescue costs.

      They also distribute "clean mountain cans" for you-know-what.

      How to address such a nightmare?

      1. Consider the presence of climbing rangers a matter of life
          and death - whence continue to fund them much as currently
          done with the U.S. military.

      2. Given the enormous losses incurred to both guide companies
          and climbers alike, AND flying outfits based in Talkneetna,
         it behooves them to consider PAYING the small number of
         rangers required to keep operations afloat.

      3. Mount Hunter, an icy death-trap seldom climbed,
          is accessed from Kahiltna Base Camp - yet lies OUTSIDE
          Park boundaries. Perhaps there would be a sudden and
          incredible rise in the number of expeditions purporting to scale it.

          Then, upon arriving at Base Camp, there will be no ranger
          to enforce which mountain they have REALLY come to climb.

         "I'm just say'in..."

      4. Fill-in-here with your own concepts.

          A report describing my most recent journey -

         - one which met with success on all 14 planned summits.

        This statistic contrasts with my August journey wherein I bagged only
      8 of 13 planned peaks owing to problematic New Mexico rain.

         Bob Packard and John Hamann were effective and welcome participants,
      I welcome them to join me on future efforts.

                  Sincerely,
                                  Adam Helman

    • Daniel R Baxter
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 4, 2013
        Two eves ago the closure affected my own peak bagging when I encountered barricades preventing me from merely driving across Lava Beds Natl Monument. It resulted in a rather annoying drive around, and led to my dropping the NMHP from my plans. Two days before I drove by Oregon Caves Natl Mon. And skipped its easy hp because of closure.

        Sent from my iPhone