Shout out for Greg Jagielski

  • drdlm
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 29, 2013
      Greg entered the Bear 100 mile race (Bear Lake Idaho) and finished in under 30 hours. Kudos to Greg (33 years old).  In case you've never heard of this guy,  he silently is piling up the p2k's all over the country.  I'm guessing he has about 350-400 but he assures me that he'll  get around to posting what he has done.
      Dean Molen
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 29, 2013

           I cannot imagine this includes Alaska   ("all over the country") .... surely you meant to write, "all over the CONUS" ?

           If Greg refuses to record his accomplishments (this seems likely after not lifting a pen after 350 ascents)
        then one cannot be blamed for failing to recognize them.

           Perhaps we should seek his name in summit registers....has anybody seen "Greg Jagielski" ?

          I am skeptical of extraordinary claims.

                                                              Adam Helman

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 29, 2013
          > Perhaps we should seek his name in summit registers....has anybody
          > seen "Greg Jagielski" ?

          I've seen Greg's name in lots of 2K registers,
          and a very simple google query will turn up lots
          of online examples for you to examine:

          https://www.google.com/#q=%22Greg+Jagielski%22+register
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 29, 2013
            Then perhaps praising his accomplishments
            is appropriate after all.

            Let's pitch in to provide Greg a Wilson antenna booster!

                    Adam H.

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Sep 29, 2013, at 4:53 PM, Andy Martin <oldadit@...> wrote:

            > Perhaps we should seek his name in summit registers....has anybody
            > seen "Greg Jagielski" ?

            I've seen Greg's name in lots of 2K registers,
            and a very simple google query will turn up lots
            of online examples for you to examine:

            https://www.google.com/#q=%22Greg+Jagielski%22+register

          • Robert W Packard
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 30, 2013

              If this is the guy from Grand Isle, Vermont, then I've seen his name on registers all over the place.

              In Idaho, for example, he had done all 2k's south of the Snake River.

              Bob Packard

            • drdlm
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 30, 2013

                Adam,

                I know for a fact that he has done all the P2K's in Utah except 3 (Durst, & the 2 Granites).  He and I have done a bunch together and he has probably close to a 100 in Nevada,  70 in Idaho,  and then throw in Montana ones,  Arizona ones, Colorado ones,  New Mexico ones and almost all the ones on the east coast.

                He hasn't done much in California, Oregon or Washington yet,  but they are on his radar.  He day hiked Big Baldy in Idaho, and also Stripe and Mormon in Idaho.  He is a modest, unassuming guy who is in love with the mountains and yes Adam,  you will find his name in the registers all over the place including many of the Nevada peaks you have done this year yourself.  You just wasn't looking for his name or even aware of it.  He is often signed in with Kadee Smith,  Victor Zhou or myself.

                He has met Bob Bolton and Duane on Castle in Idaho,  Ken Jones on Jefferson in Idaho and also hikes a ton of stuff with Victor Zhou who posts all of his pictures on Facebook.  When I said all over the country,  I wasn't referring to Alaska,  I was indeed referring to Conus but I felt it was obvious.  He is not a county highpointer but does keep an impeccable log for his own enjoyment and it is not because he is "refusing" to record his accomplishments,  he is satisfied with keeping his own log.

                His girlfriend Kadee Smith has hiked over 150 p2k's with him which you can find her list on LOJ

                http://www.listsofjohn.com/USPro/USCompletion.php?Member=Kadee.

                I'm not sure I understand why you made the comment about the Wilson Sleek ???? What was your intent?  Also,  why did you call my comments  an "extraordinary claim" ?  I was just trying to share a bit of information about a young man who is in love with mountains and running but whom you won't find on facebook,  LOJ,  peakbagger or any other public forum.  He did put out some extraordinary summit post pages which you may have used under his trail name,  "Gjagiels"

                http://www.summitpost.org/users/gjagiels/20835

                I'm sorry if what I posted seemed to upset you,  I was merely trying to spotlight an amazing accomplishment (his 100 mile race) and hopefully make others aware of him. I had no intent of making "extraordinary claims" as you put it.  This might go a long way in getting him to join with us in the websites such as LOJ and peakbagger.  I know you'd like him if you ever have the chance to meet him.  I sure do.

                Dean Molen

                ---In prominence@yahoogroups.com, <Robert.Packard@...> wrote:

                If this is the guy from Grand Isle, Vermont, then I've seen his name on registers all over the place.

                In Idaho, for example, he had done all 2k's south of the Snake River.

                Bob Packard

              • Rob Woodall
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 30, 2013
                  Only 33 years old! He could go a very long way.

                  It can be quite a significant job trying to get a log backlog online, especially when juggling e.g. job/family/forward planning. I still haven't got all mine onto the site most UK folk use; Richard Mclellan still hasn't got any of his stuff online, etc

                  Rob

                  On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 10:13 PM, <drdlm@...> wrote:

                  Greg entered the Bear 100 mile race (Bear Lake Idaho) and finished in under 30 hours. Kudos to Greg (33 years old).  In case you've never heard of this guy,  he silently is piling up the p2k's all over the country.  I'm guessing he has about 350-400 but he assures me that he'll  get around to posting what he has done.
                  Dean Molen

                • Roy Schweiker
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 30, 2013
                    Grand Isle VT must be in contention for "county with least vertical
                    relief" so obviously he has to do his mountaineering elsewhere

                    And if Adam wants to be really picky, one cannot climb p2k peaks "all
                    over the US" as there are none in FL, LA, IA, MN, OH ... or maybe half
                    the states
                  • Bob Bolton
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 30, 2013
                      Adam, why are you skeptical of Greg's claims just because he doesn't post his accomplishments on websites, but you're not skeptical of those who do? Also please bear in mind that you have been on many summits with Duane G. that are only posted to Peakbagger because I put them there - Duane doesn't post his climbs either!

                      Bob

                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 30, 2013

                         Hello Dean,

                              It IS extraordinary to learn about a man who has done 300-400 P2Ks yet does not wish to share his accomplishments
                        with anyone. I suppose there might be MORE peakbaggers "out there" who are either computer-illiterate, cannot afford the
                        connection fee, or consciously choose to not join peakbagger, LOJ, summitpost etc... for personal reasons.

                              An analogy would be if suddenly you learned of a man claiming to have climbed all Utah P2Ks - yet without a shred of evidence.
                        (This is an appropriate comparison: your original note did not include any mention of summit registers or of people meeting him.
                          This is WHY I asked for solid evidence in my subsequent note, and feel justified in doing such.)

                              I have not been upset. With a scientific background I am trained to be highly skeptical of claims without substantive evidence.
                         Finding Greg's name in many a summit register provides that evidence.

                        >> He day hiked Big Baldy in Idaho

                              I was indeed wondering when somebody would get around to trying that. I even considered it for myself (over an 18 hour day!),
                        yet cancelled that plan when Bob Bolton and Duane Gilliland offered to join me -

                                                     http://www.cohp.org/id/Valley_4.html

                                    Sincerely,
                                                   Adam Helman

                          PS   My comment about the Wilson Sleek was a joke, I am surprised it was not interpreted that way.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 30, 2013

                           Hello Bob,

                               I just climbed Mount Logan in Canada's Yukon Territory!

                               Unfortunately I have no evidence to support this statement - which is also why I choose to not join an online website for
                          recording my accomplishments.

                               It takes EFFORT and KNOWLEDGE of specific peaks (seasonality, duration, etc...) to record one's ascents in a "believable" fashion.
                          Therefore there IS evidence, and compelling at that, for a person's activities by merely having recorded
                          his ascents online. This is why I (was) far more skeptical of Greg's claims than otherwise.

                                We have SEEN bad actors in the hobby, Bob, who have lied about their climbs. I will provide NAMES by private message
                          if you wish - I am not simply confabulating this. So when I learn of a man with 300-400 P2Ks (WITH NO EVIDENCE provided in Dean's original note)
                          it is only NATURAL to be skeptical.

                                            **************************************************************************************************************

                                Tell us how your P4000 trip is progressing.

                                                    Adam Helman

                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 30, 2013
                               Bob Packard (and I too once-in-a-while) have seen summit registers in remotest Nevada with
                            a man signing-in from "Grand Isle, Vermont". THIS was, I suppose, the source material for his comment,

                                "If this is the guy from Grand Isle, Vermont, then I've seen his name on registers all over the place."

                              Paraphrasing, it is hard to believe that a man from Grand Isle, VT is bagging Nevada peaks that
                            few have heard of. Yet according to most philosophies shared here, I am the only one who is skeptical.

                                Quoting the late astronomer Carl Sagan,

                                      "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

                                            Adam Helman

                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 30, 2013
                              Everyone,
                              Let me try and clear this up a bit.  Greg is not the one who has made any claims,  I merely mentioned that I believed he had between 350-400 p2ks and to me this was not an "extraordinary" claim because I know what he has been doing over the past 5 years that I have known him. Yes, he is from Grand Isle but he works here in Salt Lake City so he is living in the west for the time being.  He likes to sign the registers indicating his home town area but I imagine that is because he intends to return there sometime in the future and still doesn't really consider Salt Lake City his home.   He is very computer literate and is a tech representative who services a major companies clients all over the area (Utah, Idaho and Nevada).  Sometimes he works out of Reno but that is more information than is necessary to share.  Remember,  he is not the one who made the claim,  I did. He knows nothing about this tempest in a teapot that I seem to have created and it is probably just as well.

                              Another name you'll see a lot of is that of Victor Zhou.  He signs the registers as being from Boston but he also works in the computer arena as a programmer here in Salt Lake City.  Victor is 28 and does enter his stuff on LOJ and peakbagger.  Like Greg,  he still considers his hometown of Boston his home and is hoping to only be "stuck" here in Salt Lake area until he can make an upward move. Victor has posted pictures of all of his climbs on Facebook so if you are a member of Facebook,  it would behoove you to friend him since his pictures are a treasure trove of information.   Both of these young men indicated that they were fascinated with the prominence concept and began chasing them down.  Not many people seem to be  interested in prominence so it is nice to see younger people like these two get involved.  It was Victor who put up a summitpost page for Worthington and he has also added a few more to that effort.  I might add that Greg put up the Hole in the Mountain summitpost page as well as the George Hansen one (and many others).  He goes by the name of gjagiels on SP and Victor goes by the name of Castlereagh

                              Adam,  I apologize for not understanding the Wilson Sleek comment,  I see now  that it was intended to be a joke and understand your intent.  He definitely could use one out there in the Nevada outback.  I think this should be the last communication I will make on this subject and I will continue to work to get Greg to post his stuff.  He has been very generous to me in sharing information on peaks he has climbed that I haven't. A few examples are Caribou,  Red Ridge, Big Elk and Black in Idaho.  Kadee,  Greg and myself were the first to get Messix peak along with another Utah peakbagger named Cory.  His information on George Hansen was key along with many others that I've followed his lead on.   He provides a resource that has helped me in many of the Idaho peaks.  Recently he climbed Baldy near Palisades Creek campground (I was there but did not have the legs to go all the way up it) and he and Victor day hiked Observation Peak the next day in nearby Wyoming.  Both these guys are "on fire" with the prominence bug.

                              Enough said but hopefully the above might add some clarity to the "Greg" situation.

                              Dean Molen

                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 30, 2013

                                   Hello Dean,

                                        Thanks for the detailed explanation.  It all makes sense NOW.

                                        Mind you, for MYSELF, having never seen his name in a summit register or
                                having had a conversation with him (let alone a detailed, posted peak list), to SUDDENLY learn of a man with 350-400 P2Ks,
                                completely out-of-the-blue, IS indeed "extraordinary".  Hence my (initial) level of skepticism - and I requested some manner
                                of proof which you then provided (as did Bob Bolton).

                                      (Perhaps read your ORIGINAL message, pretend you never heard of this man (such as with myself), let alone for 5 years,
                                and see if you too are shocked to the point of skepticism.)

                                        Now I learn that I HAVE seen Greg J's Nevada summit register entries, as those odd one with "Grand Isle, Vermont" as
                                the home town.  At least THAT is no longer a mystery!!

                                        It's as if I decided to enter "Detroit, Michigan" rather than "San Diego, California" simply because I was born there.
                                 That's of course deceptive and confusing....so

                                                                                      ***** PERHAPS GREG J. WANTS TO BE LEFT ALONE? ****

                                      Now for some POSITIVE comments.

                                1. Despite appearances to the otherwise we all have SOME control over our existence, including where we choose to live.

                                  Edward Earl waited until a break in his employment (isn't that a nice euphemism?)
                                  before moving to Washington state and THEN seeking a new job. He could not have completed the CONUS P4000 list
                                  with another home address.

                                  I refused to accept an extremely lucrative job, roughly ten years ago, working at a
                                  New Jersey-based pharmaceutical giant because it would mean the end of my peakbagging "out west".

                                        So too it is only a matter of time before Greg J. "smells the coffee" and decides that living in the American West
                                is the only way for him to continue his passion - and similarly for V. Zhou.  Grand Isle's lowly nature (literally!) will soon
                                be a silly joke that no longer appeals to even him.  Wait and see - do we have a "Gentleman's bet" ?

                                2. Posting one's list of climbed peaks (and not just at Facebook which requires membership) is very VERY helpful in many ways -

                                    a. It indicates to others your experience level, even broken down by category
                                        such as rock climbing, alpine ascents AND which access-sensitive venues your are willing to tackle.

                                    b. It shows how much you enjoy the hobby. Somebody who climbs two mountains a year
                                        is not in the same ballpark as the more enthusiastic among us - clear on to Bob Packard.

                                    c. You see which LISTS he is working on, by noting those which are nearing completion (this is easily ascertained
                                        at peakbagger.com wherein a climber's "list of lists" is displayable).

                                        Thereby through contact partners can be arranged for future efforts - as you know he shares the SAME goals
                                       (as a list finish) that you have.

                                    d. It provides PROOF of what you've done, at least to SOME extent, because "Mount Adams on January 1",
                                        although sounding perfectly dandy to the lay reader, does not pass muster with a true peakbagger aware of
                                        seasonal climbing issues.

                                    e. The "completeness" of online FRLs is enhanced. It is (a bit) disconcerting to learn of a person with several hundred
                                        P2000s who may never participate in that documentation - one that in the best of all worlds attempts to be thorough.

                                   Perhaps if Greg J. knew of these advantages he'd have a change of heart - unless he truly wishes to enjoy the hobby in solitude.

                                               Sincerely,
                                                              Adam Helman