"East" Snowbank Mountain ID is higher than "West" Snowbank Mountain

  • Andy Martin
      Sight level measurements indicate the east hill on Snowbank
      Mountain is higher than the west one. LOJ and
      Peakbagger may want to mark the east summit as highest.

      Details:

      Snowbank Mountain is a drive up 3000'+ prominence peak in Idaho.

      http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/QMap.php?lat=44.4413&lon=-116.1297&z=15

      http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=3204

      There are two hills at the summit, both with 8320'+ 40 contours
      on top. Both LOJ and peakbagger mark the west hill as the
      highest point, though peakbagger has the information:

      "[photo of] Snowbank Mountain from the south.
      The radar dome on the left [west hill]
      is on a slightly lower summit than the lookouot
      and high point on the right [east hill]."

      On September 8, 2013 I visited both hills, and used
      my sight level to judge relative heights in both directions.
      The east hill is clearly higher. A rough estimate is that
      it is 10 feet higher than the west hill.

      Note that the tops of both hills are disturbed by construction
      activities, so it is impossible to tell by a simple
      site inspection which might have been higher prior to construction.
      The west summit has more structures on it than the east
      one.

      Mapping information:

      The west hill shows BM 8318 just outside the
      8320 contour. This BM was not found. The east hill
      has "Radio Tower" and "8021T" marked on the quad.
      "Radio Tower" is accurate. "8021T" is likely an
      error, as the 8000' contour is some distance below
      this notation.

      Additional summit in the area:

      8278' Granite Peak is not a contender for highest point,
      but is located adjacent to the Snowbank road.

      http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Climbers.php?Id=35331

      An easy climb of 80' will bring you to the top.

      Photos:

      I can provide photos taken from both hills to those
      interested.

      Driving information:

      The dirt road leading to the west summit is wide and
      in good condition, and can be driven by a sedan. A narrower
      road to the east summit has a turn that is starting
      to wash out. It can be driven with care by a sedan,
      but may deteriorate further in the future.
    • drdlm
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 18, 2013

        When Bob Bolton and I were there in 2004,  we visited both East and West summits and neither one of us could tell for sure which was the highest.  We did find a benchmark on the south side of the west summit but it wasn't easy to find.  A picture of this benchmark can be found that I took on summitpost as well as

        a pic of Bob looking at the west summit from the east summit.  I wish we'd known about surveying instruments at that time as it would have made sharing the information about the east summit easier.

        Pic of West summit as seen from the west summit:

        http://www.summitpost.org/sp-member-a-href-http-www-summitpost-org-user-page-php-user-id-82-bob-bolton-a/410914/c-410889

        Pic of Benchmark found on west summit:

        http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.php?object_id=410903

        Dean Molen

      • Ken Jones
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 19, 2013
          The note on the photo is mine.  I also observed that the east summit was noticeably higher.

          Ken J