Re: [prominence] follow up on Norwegian prominence

  • Richard Webb
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 13, 2002

      > At this point Norway stands at 84, Sweden stands at 15, making
      > 99 for the Scandinavian penisula, however, it is more than likely
      > that there may be at least one more 1000 meter (drop) peak in Sweden, I
      > do not have maps for the region that are generally low-lying,
      > but there is at least one 1200 meter peak down there, chances
      > are that it is isolated enough to make the list..

      Whats the suspect, I have a map or two in the Idre area (Ski tour in 1998)
      could be of help in finding number 100

      Any idea of the total number of 2000'/610m+ hills?

      Other candidates for big drop hill concentrations.. ??
      Difficult. New Zealand is somewhat balanced by North Island. Other
      glaciated areas are in big countries or have Svalbard like glaciers
      covering the cols (Greenland). Chile must be very impressive. Loads of
      islands. and the North is volcano country..Isolated cones. Bit bigger than
      Norway though.

      Troms has to be the bumpiest county going... I have been up a few of the
      hills there and they are good value.. some technical alpine, others long
      walks over plateaus and tundra. The islands are very beautiful and worth
      the airfare alone. The southern coastal strip of Alaska should secede..
      Then there would be no contest.

      In Europe the big prom countries would be Iceland, Scotland, and possibly
      Greece which always seems to be full of isolated hills whenever I go there.
      A lot of mountainous islands must help as well. But Norway is definitely
      Number 1!

      Richard Webb
      Bags of wee hills.
      http://www.sub3000.com