GMNF VT closed to hiking

  • Roy Schweiker
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2011
      Now that you are actually able to travel around VT again, the Green Mtn
      NF has been closed to hiking pending assessment of conditions

      This would affect Mts Stratton, Gillespie, Abraham and Ellen as cohp some
      of which are also p2k, the majority of both are not in the NF but may be
      inaccessible for other reasons

      No word on why the closure announcement was so long in coming

      =============
      The governor of NH has declared the state open for business Labor Day
      weekend although 2 major through highways are still closed. You cannot
      travel NH-112 between just E of Loon Mtn and Bear Notch Rd or US-302
      through Harts Location although both are expected to reopen next week.
      Very few trails are actually closed but you are advised to retreat if you
      encounter hazardous conditions.

      57-Year-Old Mom Looks 25
      http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4e6100fb17a6110470m01vuc
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2011
        If you provide a reference source I can check repeatedly for the re-opening
        until my October trip is imminent. As you know, Gillespie, Abraham and Ellen
        are some of the targets.

        Travel again? This web page qualifies that statement -

        http://511.vermont.gov/main.jsf

        I'll go to VT even if just Grande Isle, Franklin/Orleans and Essex cohps
        are accessible and the other three are not.
        Since Franklin/Orleans depends on VT route 242
        I am waiting for that road to get repaired - and with the above site as one reference.

        Fortunately the entire trip will be productive since I have alternatives
        in New Hampshire and Massachusetts - plus, of course Ontario's highpoint.

        Adam Helman

        PS Non-USA members of the prominence group should note that Vermont
        was particuarly hard-hit by tropical storm Irene. That's the background
        which you must know to appreciate Roy S's note and mine.

        Here, I doubt that the public media in Europe and elsewhere have
        described the damage with a state-by-state resolution.