Trifecta and Pentafecta + math note

  • Andy Martin
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2010
      Looking at the county prominence lists at Lists of John, like

      http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/search.php?sort=p&c=366&State=AZ

      got me speculating about something I'll call the
      "Trifecta":

      Climbing the lower 48 top 50 by prominence
      Climbing your home state top 50 by prominence
      Climbing your home county top 50 by prominence

      Looking at just the lower 48 completers:

      low 48 State County
      Bob Packard X X Missing a few technical peaks
      Edward Earl X X (CA) Perhaps missing fewer than 10
      Bob Bolton X 31 ?
      Duane Gilliland X ? ?
      Charlie Winger X 24 ?
      Grant Myers X 43 ?

      we see that Edward Earl was close
      to completing the Trifecta - before he relocated
      to WA. Certainly the project can be completed by
      strong climbers - if you live in the right place.

      There are some issues here - what if your
      home state or county does not have 50 peaks
      with a 300' drop ?

      And of course it is not a fair contest, as
      any resident of Anchorage can explain to you.

      We can broaden the scope, and consider
      the Pentafecta:

      world 50
      your continent 50
      your country 50
      your state 50
      your county 50

      Looking at some of the world 50 leaders:

      World Continent Country State County
      Gerry Roach 27 18 29 43 50
      (assume Boulder)
      Bob Packard 27 20 24 50 41
      Petter Bjørstad 24 34 25 ? ?

      This project is a lot tougher than the trifecta
      of course, particularly for residents of Tibet ;)

      ---------------- not prominence related ---------------------

      The mathematicians may enjoy
      this short piece on why mountain climbing is like
      doing high level math:

      http://rjlipton.wordpress.com/2010/02/02/climbing-mountains-and-proving-theorems/
    • Bob Bolton
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2010
        With only 25 P300s in my home county (Clark), I looked for another approach
        to this. How about the home county plus adjacent counties within the home
        state? Or the adjacent counties in any state? I took the first approach and
        compiled all the P300s from ListsOfJohn for Clark, Cowlitz, and Skamania
        counties. There are still only 39 P1Ks, and the cutoff for the top 50 is
        P944. I've climbed 16 of those 50. And many of the remaining 34 I have plans
        for. I'll prepare the same list for all adjacent counties, which won't
        introduce much change to the top 50 list with only Columbia and Multnomah
        counties added. But it will be interesting regardless.

        Bob

      • Steve Gruhn
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2010
          If the goal is to climb the 50 most prominent peaks in ever-expanding political units, the goal (for U.S. residents) should include the national top 50 by prominence, not merely the Lower 48 top 50 by prominence.

          However, count me out of this contest. Six of the top 50 in my hometown have never been climbed by anyone. And the 50 in my hometown would be a lot easier to reach than the top 50 in my state.

          Steve Gruhn
          Anchorage, Alaska