Re: [prominence] CT prominence

  • Roy Schweiker
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1 7:17 AM
      >When I did the list of Connecticut P300s, that was the early
      >candidate for PP of Connecticut. However, Preston Hill in New
      >York
      >was ruled higher. Unfortunately both Acme Maps and my version of
      >NG Topo! use the old quad for this hill. I believe that topozone (RIP)
      >had the newer quad, which definitively put Preston Hill higher
      >than "Chapel Hill", but I no longer have proof.

      Note that both Preston Hill and phantom peak have summit el 1450-1460.

      I don't remember anything about this one. Note that if you enter
      coordinates into a topozone.com link you get a small non-scrollable view
      as a teaser, when I did this it looked like the old map.

      I hope you are correct because having a "possible" as a state prominence
      point would be a bummer.

      -rs

      Enter for Your Chance to WIN*
      The TotalBeauty.com Summer Spa Sweepstakes!
      http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/JKFkuJi7UfhhCmTsZHBoIl51pZhuh0MTxWsgYXKW2LmMWMhEfOh11I/
    • Andy Martin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 21 6:08 PM
        Edward Earl - found that "Chapel Hill" may be CT #1 in prominence

        Aaron Maizlish wrote:
        > When I did the list of Connecticut P300s, that was the early
        > candidate for PP of Connecticut. However, Preston Hill in New York
        > was ruled higher. Unfortunately both Acme Maps and my version of NG
        > Topo! use the old quad for this hill. I believe that topozone (RIP)
        > had the newer quad, which definitively put Preston Hill higher than
        > "Chapel Hill", but I no longer have proof. Perhaps someone out there
        > has the DRG of the area. Roy?

        (Andy)
        This one hits close to home - I hiked Hanging Hills
        last summer, and drove through CT two weeks ago.

        The contours on the online Dover Plains NY/CT
        maps date from planetable surveys in 1944,
        and the 1:100,000 map
        http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=41.721,-73.513&t=T&z=13
        shows Preston Hill higher.

        The Dover Plains map was printed again in 2000 - tried to
        download it from
        http://cugir.mannlib.cornell.edu/maplist.jsp?covId=92&covId=607&quick=Digital%20Raster%20Graphics

        but it looks like the same old contours. The Liebre Map
        download is the photorevised 1984 vintage.

        Last resort will be a library visit - if that
        does not pan out will add "Chapel Hill" as
        possible CT #1.