southeast Idaho

  • John Vitz
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 22, 2007
      Some notes from my last trip:

      Oxford Peak - Oneida COHP, Oneida and Franklin Counties high prominence point, Bannock Range high point, Idaho Top 50 prominence point, approximately 9290 feet and 4010 feet of prominence. This is a west side approach that I used which is shorter than east and south side routes. Exit I-15 north of Malad City at exit 17; take the frontage road north for 2.2 miles to 5500 North. Follow this good road 4.7 miles to a "T" junction where the graded road ends. Go right towards Third Creek on a sometimes-rocky road to a clearing just before a steep uphill section (1.25 miles). Hike up the deteriorating road to a junction and stay left and continue about 200 yards to an old logging area on your left. At this point you should be able to see to your left a barren slope. Walk up the old logging track and crash through the underbrush to this steep slope. At the top of this slope you will be on the west ridge complex that will lead to the north summit. The last 800 feet is steep and somewhat loose. Hike over to the southern summit, which is clearly higher - even though the register is on the north one. (5 miles round trip with 2700 feet of gain).

      Black Pine Mountain - Black Pine Mountains high point, Idaho top 50, approximately 9390 feet with 4070 feet of prominence. This point is neither Black Pine Peak (9386) nor Black BM (9395), but rather a point just southeast of the bench mark which is clearly higher than the bench mark. For the east side approach (Pole Canyon), exit I-84 at the Juniper exit, and take the west side frontage road south about .7 miles to a road heading west. These roads are now in the middle of some rancher's fields. Go west into the forest about 7 miles to Pole Canyon Spring (not 9 miles as Tom Lopez states in his book). About .1 mile past the spring the trail starts on your left. It is not easy to see. There is a sign, also not easy to see, on a tree denoting the trail. Hike this well graded but somewhat overgrown trail about 2 miles to the saddle at the head of Pole Canyon. Follow use trails over the top of War Eagle Peak (or slightly north) and continue over and/or around a bump, then Black Pine Peak and then a few more bumps to the top. I descended by going down the ridge that starts from the middle bump and drops to just south of Pole Canyon Spring. This could also be used as an ascent route, though it is steep and somewhat loose near the bottom. (7, 3200).

      Old Tom Mountain - Idaho top 50, 8733, 2893. From a point on the South Fork of Mink Creek Road (forest road 163) just north of the forest boundary, go east on the Scout Mtn Top Road (FR 009) about 5.2 miles to a ridge top clearing. The quality of this road is vastly overstated on the forest service map, and the last few miles to the gate near the top of Scout Mtn is no more than a jeep trail. From the clearing, hike along ATV tracks on the ridge to a saddle just northeast of point 8630. Go around the southeast face of this and continue along the ridge to the top. (5, 1700).

      Black Mountain - Idaho 2K peak, 8960+, 2040. From a point just north of Etna, WY on US 89, go west on county road 111 3.5 miles to an unsigned, graded road that turns north. This becomes FR 070. Follow it 1 mile to unsigned FR 386, just west of a small stream. This good road goes all the way to the south summit of Black Mtn, but there is a locked gate about half way. Hike the road to the saddle north of the south summit, follow the ATV tracks to where they drop down the east face and scramble along the ridge to the top, which appears to be the southernmost of three little rock piles. (7, 2500).

      Big Elk Mountain - Idaho top 50, 9476, 2640. From the McCoy Creek Road (FR 087) go north on FR 058 about ten miles to a signed road for the Big Elk Mtn trail. This is FR 863 and it is a lot worse than it is shown on the map. Consider it 4WD only. Following FR 058 you can also reach this road from Palisades Dam. Bounce up this road 5 miles to the signed trailhead. Follow this ATV trail to the saddle southwest of the summit where there is a junction. Turn right and go for a while until the trail starts to contour the west face. Go right to the ridge top and then left to the summit. Descend directly down the south face (also a ascent route). (4, 1400)

    • JOHN D KIRK
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 17, 2007
        After finishing up CA's 12ers list, combined with the completed lists for CO, WY, UT, & NM, and stragglers in WA and NV, here is the first 300' interpolated prominence highest 1000 list:

        http://www.listsofjohn.com/US1000/US1000Index.php

        I believe Bob Packard has completed the highest 150, but is shown on the site as completing 135 since the CA 13ers haven't until now been available on the site for updating.

        The cutoff is 12865' - there are two other CO contenders at 12865 in addition to CO's Fisher Mountain that holds the spot at #1000, winning by prominence.

        Breakout of highest 1,000 by state:

        CA: 187
        CO: 743
        NM: 6
        NV: 1
        UT: 20
        WA: 2
        WY: 41
        Total: 1,000

        Here are lists for CA's peaks 12k and above:
        http://www.listsofjohn.com/California/CAMain.html
      • Robert W. Packard
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 17, 2007
          >I believe Bob Packard has completed the highest 150, but is shown on the
          >site as completing 135 since the CA 13ers haven't until now been available
          >on the site for updating.

          Hi John,

          I claim the highest 161 in lower 49 which translates into highest 160 in
          contiguous US. I just went through
          updating all lists involved in the highest 150, but your site gives me
          credit for only 149 of the 150. Can you find the
          one I'm supposed to me missing?

          Bob
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 17, 2007
            Change the cutoff - say, 500 feet instead of 300 feet.
            The list will have a broader geographic distribution.

            Change the cutoff even MORE - say 2,000 feet,
            so corresponding to the 1,000 highest of 1,234
            P2000 summits in the forty-eight states.

            The list will no longer favor Colorado in-the-LEAST.

            ***********************************

            Now do the reverse - select a smaller cutoff, such as 100 feet.
            The list will concentrate on successively smaller-sized and
            higher elevation regions in Colorado and the Sierra Nevada.

            Finally, choose an (absurdly) small cutoff, perhaps 5 feet.
            Now the "top 1000" features boulders and crags on but a few select
            peaks at the exclusion of most 14ers - Colorado and elsewhere.

            **********************************

            Gosh, these lists all seem SO very arbitrary!

            A true, prominence-based list has no such problem.

            Adam Helman
          • Robert W. Packard
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 17, 2007
              At 03:20 PM 10/17/2007, Robert W. Packard wrote:
              >>I believe Bob Packard has completed the highest 150, but is shown on the
              >>site as completing 135 since the CA 13ers haven't until now been
              >>available on the site for updating.
              >

              >Hi John,
              >
              >I claim the highest 161 in lower 49 which translates into highest 160 in
              >contiguous US. I just went through
              >updating all lists involved in the highest 150, but your site gives me
              >credit for only 149 of the 150. Can you find the
              >one I'm supposed to me missing?
              >
              >Bob

              It appears to be the 88th ranked summit, but I can't seem to find out what
              it is.
            • JOHN D KIRK
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 17, 2007
                It is unofficially named "Mount Randy Morgenson" - 13927'. I updated for you.

                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 17, 2007
                  Isn't a 300' prominence list a prominence-based list? Don't be mad because you come in second ;)

                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 17, 2007
                    Hello John K,

                    Don't be mad because you come in second ;)

                    "California" and "Colorado" are ALSO arbitrarily selected regions, John.

                    [Here I assume that "second" refers to the state with 2nd most number of
                    prominences
                    in your Top 100 list.]

                    Nineteenth Century politicians could easily have arrived at different
                    boundaries -
                    and with them the number of prominences per "state" would again change.

                    Please note that the "300 foot rule" is not generally applied nationwide -

                    http://www.cohp.org/prominence/maps/cutoff_value_map/state_cutoff_values.gif

                    So, again, the generality of a single Highest 1000 list based on any
                    single cutoff value is wanting. It is a good list - but changing the
                    cutoff value
                    in either direction, above or below 300 feet,
                    MARKEDLY alters the geographic distribution of the resulting
                    highest 1000 summits.

                    It would be interesting to estimate the geographic extent of a Highest
                    1000 list
                    where the only criterion for a highpoint be that it supports a single
                    contour -
                    typically 40 feet. I guess (?) that the list is restricted to bumps on
                    assorted fourteeners.

                    Bye bye, Adam

                    JOHN D KIRK wrote:

                    > Isn't a 300' prominence list a prominence-based list? Don't be mad
                    > because you come in second ;)
                    >
                    > >Gosh, these lists all seem SO very arbitrary!
                    >
                    > >A true, prominence-based list has no such problem.
                    >
                    > >Adam Helman

                    > Help yourself to FREE treats served up daily at the Messenger Café.
                    > Stop by today.
                    > http://www.cafemessenger.com/info/info_sweetstuff2.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_OctWLtagline
                    > <http://www.cafemessenger.com/info/info_sweetstuff2.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_OctWLtagline>

                  • Roy Schweiker
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 17, 2007
                      I think Adam means that a true prominence-based list would be the 1000
                      most prominent

                      Lists such as the 1000 highest p300 and 1000 highest p500 are hybrid
                      lists

                      You can't make a true height-based list or you would just have atoms
                      grouped around the highest point

                      -rs

                      On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 18:53:31 -0600 JOHN D KIRK <jkirk_14@...> writes:

                      >Isn't a 300' prominence list a prominence-based list? Don't be mad
                      >because=
                      > you come in second ;)
                      >

                      >>Gosh, these lists all seem SO very arbitrary!
                      >
                      >>A true, prominence-based list has no such problem.
                      >
                      >>Adam Helman

                    • JOHN D KIRK
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 17, 2007
                        Yes, CA and CO are arbitrary, almost as arbitrary as the county boundaries within them. Do you wear a different hat when highpointing (given that you don't seem deterred from the counties lists that contain several zero prominences, but are based stricly on height and political boundaries)?

                        To: prominence@yahoogroups.comFrom: helman@...: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 18:23:36 -0700Subject: Re: [prominence] Highest 1000 Contiguous US List

                        Hello John K,Don't be mad because you come in second ;)"California" and "Colorado" are ALSO arbitrarily selected regions, John.[Here I assume that "second" refers to the state with 2nd most number of prominencesin your Top 100 list.]Nineteenth Century politicians could easily have arrived at different boundaries -and with them the number of prominences per "state" would again change.Please note that the "300 foot rule" is not generally applied nationwide -http://www.cohp.org/prominence/maps/cutoff_value_map/state_cutoff_values.gifSo, again, the generality of a single Highest 1000 list based on anysingle cutoff value is wanting. It is a good list - but changing the cutoff valuein either direction, above or below 300 feet,MARKEDLY alters the geographic distribution of the resultinghighest 1000 summits. ************************************************It would be interesting to estimate the geographic extent of a Highest 1000 listwhere the only criterion for a highpoint be that it supports a single contour -typically 40 feet. I guess (?) that the list is restricted to bumps onassorted fourteeners.Bye bye, AdamJOHN D KIRK wrote:>> Isn't a 300' prominence list a prominence-based list? Don't be mad > because you come in second ;)>> >Gosh, these lists all seem SO very arbitrary!>> >A true, prominence-based list has no such problem.>> >Adam Helman>> __________________________________________________________> Help yourself to FREE treats served up daily at the Messenger Café. > Stop by today.> http://www.cafemessenger.com/info/info_sweetstuff2.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_OctWLtagline > <http://www.cafemessenger.com/info/info_sweetstuff2.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_OctWLtagline>>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                      • Layne Bracy
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 17, 2007
                          > It would be interesting to estimate the geographic extent of a
                          Highest 1000 list where the only criterion for a highpoint be that
                          it supports a single contour - typically 40 feet. I guess (?) that
                          the list is restricted to bumps on assorted fourteeners.

                          > Bye bye, Adam

                          Surprisingly, extra bumps with 40' contours above 14000' are not
                          common. While Colorado has 53 14ers at P300, there are only 20 other
                          Colorado 14er summits with at least 40' of interpolated prominence.
                          See Roach's list here:

                          http://www.climb.mountains.com/Project_Island_files/CO_14ers.shtml

                          As John continues to fill in his database, custom lists will be
                          possible to suit people who prefer to use P300, P500, P1000, pure
                          prominence, etc. Of course, P200, P100 or single contour lists may
                          require someone obsessed enough to revise the lists with the
                          addition of lower prominence peaks. Personally, I enjoy it all -
                          county hp's, prominent peaks, high peaks, or whatever I can get my
                          feet on!
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 17, 2007
                            Hello John K,

                            The single highest point of a political region is UNAMBIGUOUS.
                            THAT is why I have no problem county highpointing - even though
                            California and Colorado are arbitrarily defined.

                            All successive highpoints ARE ambiguous, which is why I don't care to
                            pursue peaklists that cover the N > 1 highest in a given region.

                            Hence there is NO controversy between my desire to go county highpointing
                            and my desire to climb the N most prominent peaks in a given region.

                            The latter, being a true, prominence-based list is also UNAMBIGUOUS.

                            In contrast, any elevation-based list, such as the Top 1000 list,
                            AND WITH N > 1, is highly dependent on the selected,
                            prominence-based shoulder cutoff value. Here, N = 1000.

                            Other folks can certainly do the "N highest" - look at Bob Packard
                            for instance. I find the dependence of such a list on the cutoff chosen
                            to be HIGHLY disconcerting; and would rather avoid pursuing such
                            a list, in a life where choices must be made, in favor of lists that
                            are completely unambiguous and as described above.

                            *************************************

                            I should have made these peak list distinctions clear in my book, The
                            Finest Peaks.

                            Sincerely, Adam H.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 17, 2007
                              I would enjoy greatly seeing such a SET of lists
                              based on NUMEROUS, prominence-based cutoff values.

                              (They) would be analogous to what John Roper
                              has published for Washington state :

                              http://www.rhinoclimbs.com/documents/ListofPromLists.rc_000.swf

                              Adam H.

                              Layne Bracy wrote:

                              > As John continues to fill in his database, custom lists will be
                              > possible to suit people who prefer to use P300, P500, P1000, pure
                              > prominence, etc. Of course, P200, P100 or single contour lists may
                              > require someone obsessed enough to revise the lists with the
                              > addition of lower prominence peaks. Personally, I enjoy it all -
                              > county hp's, prominent peaks, high peaks, or whatever I can get my
                              > feet on!

                            • Bob Bolton
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 17, 2007
                                <John K>
                                Do you wear a different hat when highpointing (given that you don't seem
                                deterred from the counties lists that contain several zero prominences, but
                                are based strictly on height and political boundaries)?

                                I for one wear a very different hat when highpointing than I wear when
                                prominence bagging. Highpointing includes such beauts as Mt. Sunflower and
                                Jerimoth Hill, but if we were to ignore political boundaries, Mt. Whitney
                                would have little meaning either, outside of prominence. Seen in that light,
                                political highpointing actually seems like a pretty good idea to me. My
                                guess is that interest in highpointing partly stems from the fact that most
                                of us have neither the skills, the strengths, nor the finances to travel to
                                Nepal or Pakistan every time we get the urge to get to the top of some
                                entity. So by dividing a landmass up by political boundaries and searching
                                for the highest points in each, we can much more readily scratch our
                                get-to-the-top-of-something itches, whether they be mountains, states,
                                counties, you name it.

                                When I'm prominence bagging the hat is very different. I want to summit a
                                real mountain. The 5000-foot and 2000-foot prominence thresholds are
                                arbitrary, but the mountains themselves generally make pretty good sense.
                                And for me, prominence is FAR more interesting than elevation. The best
                                examples of why this is come from experiences in Colorado. I found it
                                oh-so-slightly interesting to summit Sunshine Peak only because it was on a
                                triply arbitrary list. Same goes for Ellingwood Point. The Colorado 14ers
                                not only are (1) confined to Colorado, they are mainly (2) defined by the
                                300-foot prominence threshold, and of course they are (3) above 14,000 feet,
                                all arbitrary. Coming from prominence-rich Washington causes Sunshine Peak
                                to seem very unnecessary - it's all part of the same mountain with Redcloud
                                in my book. I feel the same about Rainier's Liberty Cap, BTW, so I'm not
                                applying this thinking only to Colorado. Liberty Cap has 472 to 512 feet of
                                prominence, about the same as Sunshine Peak. BLAHHH!! I realize I'm stepping
                                on the toes of both elevation baggers and x00-foot prominence baggers here,
                                but I'm just expressing my personal preference.

                                Working on the Ultra-prominences has taken me to a wide variety of regions
                                in 13 states. There were desert peaks, rain forests, alpine splendor,
                                glaciers, stand-alone behemoths, range highpoints, volcanoes, 14ers, you
                                name it. Every Ultra is a REAL mountain, unlike Sunshine Peak and Liberty
                                Cap. And instead of at least THREE arbitrary aspects, there are only two -
                                the P5000-foot threshold and the 48-state boundary. There's a hidden
                                advantage here too - while doing the 5000-foot prominences, I also completed
                                the 6000, 7000, 8000, 9000, 10000, and 13000-foot prominence lists within
                                that boundary. My next objective will be the P4K list, as that has captured
                                my imagination FAR more than finishing my 36 remaining CO 14ers. This P4K
                                fascination is admittedly heightened by the fact that hundreds of folks have
                                done the CO 14ers, while nobody has yet completed all of the 58 Ultras (not
                                that we haven't tried!), much less the 4000-foot prominences. To complete
                                the P4Ks I've gotta get around a bit - and what a great variety of places to
                                go: 6 in AZ, 5 in CA, 5 in CO, 3 in ID, 9 in MT, 3 in NM, 15 in NV, 1 each
                                in TN and TX, 8 in UT, 5 even in WA, and 1 in WY. That's 62 peaks in 12
                                states if I counted right! As opposed to spending my entire life chasing
                                14ers and 13ers and never getting out of CO, CA, UT, NM, and NV (except for
                                good old Liberty Cap)! No Washington, with those fantastic North Cascades
                                and Olympics and volcanoes, no Montana with Glacier National Park and the
                                Beartooths and the Crazies and the Missions and the Cabinets, etc., no
                                Idaho, no Oregon, no Arizona --- you get my point. As I've said elsewhere:
                                (http://www.summitpost.org/list/174556/Ultra-prominence-Peaks-of-the-48-Stat
                                es.html)
                                prominence allows all peaks to be measured on a level playing field. I'm FAR
                                more interested in a 6000-foot prominence peak that's 10,000 feet high (i.e.
                                Oregon's Sacajawea, the HP of a great range - the Wallowas) than I am in a
                                500-foot prominence peak that's 14,001 feet high and from which I'm looking
                                UP the ridge at a peak that is 33 feet higher and 1.25 miles away. Handies
                                and Redcloud were fine, but Sunshine???

                                FWIW

                                Bob :-)

                              • Edward "7.389056099" Earl
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 18, 2007
                                  > I would enjoy greatly seeing such a SET of lists
                                  > based on NUMEROUS, prominence-based cutoff values.
                                  >
                                  > (They) would be analogous to what John Roper
                                  > has published for Washington state :

                                  A few years ago I thought of an interesting project that John Roper might want
                                  to try. Climb some carefully determined peak list such that it includes the 100
                                  highest in WA for ANY prominence cutoff. Apart from one problem which I will
                                  describe in a moment, such a list would be finite and quite doable.

                                  The algorithm for constructing such a list would go like this: start by making a
                                  list of the 100 most prominent peaks in WA. The cutoff would be about 2294'.
                                  Thus, there's no such thing as the 100 highest in WA with a prominence cutoff
                                  greater than 2294', because WA doesn't even have 100 peaks with that much
                                  prominence. Record said list.

                                  Then, delete the lowest peak on the list and replace it with the most prominent
                                  peak in the state that is _higher_ than the peak just deleted. Record the new
                                  peak. Repeat this process many times and watch the list evolve to gradually
                                  higher and less prominence peaks.

                                  The only problem with this "WA 100 highest for any prominence cutoff" list
                                  concept is that its low prominence limit is ill-defined. It is not clear at what
                                  point the list begins to push its way into the realm of meaninglessly
                                  low-prominence peaks, since it happens little by little.

                                  Still, though, I do feel that a list of this nature is more meaningful than a
                                  list of the n highest with a static prominence cutoff. Though one could still
                                  not say, "I've climbed the 100 highest peaks in WA" with a totally straight
                                  face, it would be a straighter face than if it were done to an arbitrary fixed
                                  prominence cutoff.

                                  Edward "7.389056099" Earl
                                  esquared@...
                                  http://home.earthlink.net/~esquared
                                • Robert W. Packard
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 18, 2007
                                    But somebody HAS completed all the 57 currently EXISTING ultras.
                                    Completing the 58 will not top that except by accident of timing.
                                    Bob
                                  • Roy Schweiker
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Oct 18, 2007
                                      >The only problem with this "WA 100 highest for any prominence cutoff"
                                      >list
                                      >concept is that its low prominence limit is ill-defined. It is not
                                      >clear at what
                                      >point the list begins to push its way into the realm of meaninglessly
                                      >low-prominence peaks, since it happens little by little.

                                      A problem with implementing the concept is if maps have different contour
                                      intervals but perhaps p < 80 may get to what you consider meaningless
                                      anyway

                                      I don't have access to the WA data in any usable form but may try it with
                                      Aaron's ME spreadsheet using a reduced # of peaks

                                      -rs
                                    • Eric Noel
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Oct 18, 2007
                                        I actually created such a list a year or so ago back around when John Roper put up his
                                        cutoff page although I did not work it down to the nubs. As I recall it went just down to
                                        P400C because that was as far as the peak info available went. I believe John does actually
                                        have P300M lists on his sits so it could be augmented down to that level or even if
                                        someone were interested I guess it could go down to a closed contour or whatever
                                        minimum cutoff were desired. I wanna say that the T100 from P400 to ~P2300 list had
                                        about 300 or so peaks but that is just a wild guess; I may have to dig that spreadsheet up

                                        -Eric

                                        --- In prominence@yahoogroups.com, "Edward \"7.389056099\" Earl" <esquared@...>

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Oct 18, 2007
                                          <Bob P>
                                          But somebody HAS completed all the 57 currently EXISTING ultras. Completing
                                          the 58 will not top that except by accident of timing.

                                          :-) Which is why I explicitly said that nobody has done the 58. Bob, you're
                                          the pioneer here, and most of the rest of us are following at a great
                                          distance. I for one will never "top" your incredible accomplishments even if
                                          I'm lucky enough to be first to do the 58! And I would still greatly enjoy
                                          chasing the 58 even if you HAD been so fortunate as to have climbed
                                          pre-eruption St. Helens. Frankly, I for one wish you had been able to do so.

                                          You da man, Bob, there's no doubt about it...

                                          Having said all that, however, the same can be said in reverse. You've
                                          accomplished many firsts in peakbagging, but those too were all, to some
                                          extent, accidents of timing. To illustrate, John Roper was first to complete
                                          the Washington P2Ks, but a much younger Paul Klenke is poised to follow in
                                          his footsteps with only a handful remaining. John is about 30 years older
                                          than Paul, and did many of those climbs before Paul was born or was old
                                          enough to have "competed" with him. This too is an accident of timing. :-)

                                          Bob

                                        • JOHN D KIRK
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Nov 14, 2007
                                            http://listsofjohn.com/Alaska/AK10.php
                                            Completed the validation/conversion from TOPO! to excel to mysql resulting in 6 additional 10k peaks from my last post to bring the total count to 512.
                                            I'll be adding the AK section to the index page (http://listsofjohn.com) soon. This state section will certainly possess the smallest conglomeration of logged peaks.

                                            For Canadian topozone saddle hyperlinks (Saint Elias, for example), clicking on the '1:50 NRCan Topos' button to the left of the topozone map area will display the Canadian map.