Frisco Peak, UT

  • Edward "7.389056099" Earl
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31 9:13 PM
      Frisco Peak is the well-named HP of the San Francisco Mountains in the desert W
      of Beaver UT. A climb of this peak is straightforward and takes about 1/2 day,
      which I did on 2007 Aug 25.

      On UT-21 about 8 miles W of Milford at virtual MP 68.6 is an unsigned turnoff by
      a bridge in the bottom of a dry river valley. I stayed on this road for 8.9
      miles until arriving at a tailings pile (the remains of the Golden Reef Mine) at
      7500' on the left side of the road. Just beyond the tailings pile the road
      became steep and rocky, and while a braver driver could have driven my high
      clearance 2WD Nissan truck up there, I decided not to risk it and parked in a
      large level graded pullout on the right side of the road just before the
      tailings pile.

      I hiked the unambiguous road the remaining 2160' elevation to the summit towers.
      Much of the summit has been graded and it is hard to tell if the original
      highest natural ground was disturbed. The highest present ground is somewhere in
      the gravel around two green shacks near the end of the road.

      Edward "7.389056099" Earl
      esquared@...
      http://home.earthlink.net/~esquared

      Boeing will be able to make only one more plane before it runs out of numbers.