Re: Recent AZ Prominence Peaks

  • Robert W. Packard
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2007
      March 22: House Mt (5127, P = 927). This is the HP of the land S and E of
      Oak Creek,
      W of Oak Creek Village and N of McGuireville. No
      register. 3.5h, 5m, 1200ft.
      On separate short hike climbed UN 4838, P = 578, about 5
      miles ESE of House Mt.

      March 26: UN 4728, P = 888. This is N of the Chicken Springs Rd W of
      Wikieup. AZB 3-01
      register. 2.25h, 1.5m, 1100ft. Also climbed Aubrey Pk
      (5078, P = 838), S of the road.
      MacLilley 11-87 register signed by AZB. Hualapai Mts.

      March 28: UN 3432, P = 912. In Granite Wash Mts N of Vicksburg. Used
      Yuma Mine Rd
      E of AZ 72 to drive close. MacLilley 2-16-07 register, no
      other signers. 3.25h, 4m, 1500ft.

      March 30: Cactus BM (2676, P = 896). In Sacaton Mts. Easy hike from AZ
      387 E of I-10, Exit 185.
      Bob Moore 12-04 register, no other signers. 2.25h, 2m,
      1000ft.

      March 31: Coffee Flat Mt (4621, P = 941). In the Superstition Mts. Used
      Dutchmans Trail up past
      Miners Needle, then Whiskey Spring Trail down into Whiskey
      Spring Canyon, then bushwacked
      up to summit. Wood and wire on summit, but found no BM or
      register. 11.75h, 12m, 3600ft.

      April 1: Rhodes Pk (7123, P = 1243) in Galiuro Mts with Andy Martin and
      Doug Kasian. We drove 6 miles
      up the Rhodes Ranch Rd from the River Road S of Mammoth,
      parked at locked gate. We walked
      road E down to ranch buildings then up toward Rhodes. Left
      road and hiked up grassy slopes and
      into major drainage W of Rhodes. It was hard work going up
      the steep rocky, brushy slopes to the
      trail along the upper ridge which we took S to near the
      summit. SAHC register. 11.75h, 9m, 3800ft.
      Doug and Andy had to wait for me several times.

      April 2: Rawhide Mt (5560, P = 1120). I got a San Carlos Permit at a
      Circle K in Globe which said
      "not valid in the Salt and Black River Areas". $10. Drove
      the Coolidge Dam Road 6.8 miles E from the
      dam, then went 6.7 miles S on the road which DeLorme calls the
      Hawk Canyon Rd. When I came to a
      gate about half way between Roadrunner Tank and Talk Too Much
      Tank (see Rawhide Mt Quad) I drove
      my camper a ways up the 4WD road to the S and parked just
      before another gate. Neither of these
      gates were locked, both being held closed with ropes. Walked
      uphill SE, then down into the upper
      reaches of Hawk Canyon at about the 3340 level. Then it was
      steep rocky brushy slopes up to the
      summit ridge area. This is where it got interesting. The
      summit area is made up of huge disconnected
      boulders separated by slots choked with brush. It took me
      about 3 hours to figure out which boulder was
      highest and find a way to get to it that I could talk myself
      into doing. I did manage to stand on top of
      the highest boulder. These boulders have a surface like very
      coarse sand paper with 1/4 inch or so
      granules. So, my shoes gripped really well and I could use
      little finger tip holds. Standing on a boulder
      to the S of the highest one I sort of lunged up toward this
      highest one. I made a little collection of rocks
      for a cairn. No register up there and no BM either. The map
      indicates a BM which might be on a nearby
      easier to climb boulder, but I didn't do much looking around
      as it was such hard work moving around in
      the slots and on the boulders up there. At one point I found
      that my day pack made a slot climb more
      difficult so I left it. I took so many twists and turns from
      that point on that I had a hard time finding it
      again. But I did find it thankful for the water which I had
      left. I went back down to Hawk Canyon via a
      drainage with bypasses of at least 3 barrier falls, picked up
      the road and walked that back to my camper.
      Got outa thaya. 9.5h, 6m, 3100ft. Now if one were willing to
      untie that rope and open the gate and drive
      down to Hawk Canyon one could take 3 miles and 2 hours off the
      hike. With good luck at the summit
      one could perhaps makes this in 5h, 3m, 2300ft. The Hawk
      Canyon Rd is unmarked except for a small
      sign a few feet in indicating use by tribal members only or
      with special permission.

      NOTE: I now have 415 of the 431 clean 1K AZ Peaks. There is only one
      non-technical one left that I know of and that
      is Jerusalem Mt. I think I know how I will attempt this, but decided to
      put it off for the time being. After 3 long tough
      days I felt more like RECUPERATION than more PUNISHMENT. April 8 I leave
      for Nebraska where I hope to finish
      the COHP's of that state (I have 30 left) as well as redo Faulk County, SD.

      Bob Packard
    • Petter Bjorstad
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 5, 2007
        Hi,

        Just read the impressive report of all the AZ peaks climbed by
        Bob... Congratulations.. Enjoyed the description of the top with
        boulders..

        I am in Colorado and we (family) are mainly doing downhill (alpine) skiing.
        Managed to go for a hike last Tuesday, climbed Mount Silverheels,
        no 96 in Colorado, 696 meter prominence. Trip report on my
        mountain page, www.ii.uib.no/~petter/mountains.html
        The wind was about 60 mph on the summit.

        Petter