10 Ultras in 10 days.

  • Dean
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 9, 2006
      I just got off the phone with Dennis Poulin and he was headed home
      after a heck of an effort in Nevada, Utah and Idaho. He finished up
      his travels by climbing Borah Peak in Idaho. He figures he did 100
      miles of hiking and 44,000 feet of elevation gain during those ten
      days and the peaks he did were (in this order):

      Hayford (NV)
      Arc Dome (NV)
      Pilot (NV)
      No. Schell (NV)
      Ibapah (UT)
      Deseret (UT)
      Flat Top (UT)*
      Nebo (UT)
      Timpanogas (UT)
      Borah (ID)

      Whew, what an amazing ten days and I offer my congratulations to
      Dennis for quite an accomplishment. I hope others here will join me
      in offering congratulations. Flat Top now has to be climbed from the
      road just outside of Ophir as the road access has been blocked off.

      Dean Molen
    • Bob Bolton
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 9, 2006
        Way to go Dennis, fantastic!! But why did you stop at 10? :-)

        Bob

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 9, 2006
          A most noteworthy effort indeed. Congrats to Dennis.

          I refuse, however, to describe Dennis' effort
          using the notorious "fantastic" - a word best saved for
          describing other-worldly, surreal phenomena. ;-)

          Send me an updated ultra map, Bob....

          Adam H

          Bob Bolton wrote:

          >Way to go Dennis, fantastic!! But why did you stop at 10? :-)
          >
          >Bob

        • Rob Woodall
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 10, 2006
            Great effort!

            I've been studying half a dozen Ultras around the Alps and wondering whether
            I can get up any of them :-(

            Rob Woodall, England
          • Dennis Poulin
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 11, 2006
              Thanks all for the kind words. No I'm not pink and fuzzy. I stopped at 10
              because it was a nice round number and a worthy goal for all the youngsters
              in the group to shoot for. Actually, I was exhausted and my wife was
              spending too much money while I was away.

              These are all great hikes except for Pilot. Pilot is misspelled on all the
              topo's. It should be "Pile-It". This mountain was named by the pioneers
              before they had sewage plants and the ground is too rocky and the sun too
              hot for digging so they designated an area where they could just Pile-It.

              Thanks to Dean for the great company and excellent Trip Reports and Route
              Information. Thanks to Bob for the inspiration to complete yet another
              list.

              107+ miles, 44,000+ feet of elevation gain.

              Dennis

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 11, 2006
                Your comments about Pilot are noted, Dennis.

                A shame since from Interstate-80 Pilot looks SO impressive.

                Edward Earl and myself are planning to be there in mid-September -
                and possibly with Andy Martin, Scott Casterlin.

                107+ miles and 44,000+ feet sounds like climbing Denali TWICE
                with round-trips from the very base such as with the Wonder Lake approach.

                Adam H.

                Dennis Poulin wrote:

                >Thanks all for the kind words. No I'm not pink and fuzzy. I stopped at 10
                >because it was a nice round number and a worthy goal for all the youngsters
                >in the group to shoot for. Actually, I was exhausted and my wife was
                >spending too much money while I was away.
                >
                >These are all great hikes except for Pilot. Pilot is misspelled on all the
                >topo's. It should be "Pile-It". This mountain was named by the pioneers
                >before they had sewage plants and the ground is too rocky and the sun too
                >hot for digging so they designated an area where they could just Pile-It.
                >
                >Thanks to Dean for the great company and excellent Trip Reports and Route
                >Information. Thanks to Bob for the inspiration to complete yet another
                >list.
                >
                >107+ miles, 44,000+ feet of elevation gain.
                >
                >Dennis

              • Bob Bolton
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 12, 2006
                  I quote Webster: "fan-tas-tic..., adj,...5. extremely great; lavish: to earn
                  a fantastic salary. 6. extraordinarily good.

                  So Adam, the highest authority on English word usage disagrees with your
                  prohibition. :-)

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 12, 2006
                    RUBBISH

                    Bob Bolton wrote:

                    >I quote Webster: "fan-tas-tic..., adj,...5. extremely great; lavish: to earn
                    >a fantastic salary. 6. extraordinarily good.
                    >
                    >So Adam, the highest authority on English word usage disagrees with your
                    >prohibition. :-)
                    >
                    >Bob

                  • Grant Myers
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 13, 2006
                      Dennis-
                      I would describe your accomplishment of climbing 10
                      ultras in 10 days as extremly great & extaordinarily
                      good! (if not fantastic).
                      Mostly I just wish that I had been there too, I only
                      discovered the 57 ultra list a few months ago &
                      haven't had a chance to gear up for a big assault on a
                      lot of them. Its a list of great interest to me & I
                      will be pursuing them soon hopefully.......

                      Grant

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 13, 2006
                        I'll be adding Dennis' feat to the on-line version of the prominence FRL
                        under the speed records section.

                        Whether Andy M. wants to include Dennis' accomplishment in the
                        "official" FRL is up to him.

                        Adam H.