Mount McKinley climbing quota to be imposed

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2006
      Hello from Adam,

      This Washington Post article tells the story -

      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/26/AR2006022600396.html

      [Cutting and pasting this address into your browser works
      only if the line has not wrapped-around to a second line of print.]

      The 1,500 person annual quota will be enforced starting 2007,
      such that THIS year's crop of mountain climbers won't be effected.

      I have a long-term sincere and abiding interest in climbing this
      mountain.

      Now that Aconcagua is "behind me", I herein initiate a search for
      partners in a PRIVATELY organized expedition up the West Buttress Route -
      for either calendar 2007 or 2008 at our mutual convenience. June preferred.

      Statistically the chances of success are SLIGHTLY lower than with a
      commercial expedition. However the limiting factor for me is not time or
      number
      of attempts. It is money. Bluntly, I cannot easily afford the $4,000+
      guide fee.
      Hence the decision to "go it alone" - multiple times if need be.

      I understand and appreciate the CONSIDERABLE difficulties of climbing
      even the standard route. I would not be embarassed if I ended up being the
      "junior" partner alongside climbers with more experience on snow and ice.

      THAT experience, particularly from somebody who has already
      been ON Mount McKinley, is worth a lot to me - and I am willing to
      demonstrate that appreciation financially should an expert "leader" be
      available.

      Please, if you have a similar burning desire, and posess the
      relevant skills,
      I am eager to hear from you so we can AT LEAST earmark a tentative year
      and month IN LIGHT OF THIS NEW QUOTA SYSTEM.

      Sincerely, Adam Helman

      PS My MOTHER told me about this quota system. I did not believe her
      until I verified it for myself through an Internet search.

      I don't understand WHY, but she is absolutely "gung-ho" on having me
      climb this somewhat challenging mountain.

      That is a remarkable state-of-affairs since normally she is
      extremely
      worried about my climbing - especially alone.