Most Fifty Finest Peaks in one day?

  • wererichertoo
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2005
      Now that we have 50 Finest lists (or I should 50 most topographically
      prominent lists) for so many US states, and for many countries, I was
      wondering if anyone has thought about this question: Which list has
      the most that one could do it one day? Allowing driveups, cog
      railways, bicycles, but no helicopters :-)

      Also you can make a distinction between 24-hour days and dawn-to-dusk
      days (excepting Norway, of course :-) Personally I find climbing
      mountains in the middle of the night to be anticlimactic.

      I think something similar has been discussed regarding P2Ks, however
      for many US states the mountains at the bottom of the list are not P2Ks.

      Looking at states that I'm familiar with, for VA I think you could do
      5 in one dawn-to-dusk day. You might be able to do Sharp Top, Flat
      Top, Apple Orchard Mtn, Rocky Mtn, and High Peak (Amherst) in 1 day.
      High Peak is a driveup, and Rocky Mtn is a driveup with high clearance.

      In WV you could probably do even more. I'm guessing you could do
      Briery Knob, Big Spruce Knob (not the state HP), Black Mtn, Red Spruce
      Knob, Gay Knob, and BM Thorny in 1 day. Most of these are driveups or
      near driveups. Most of these have barely 1000ft of prom.

      I suspect Eastern states would do better on such a list than Western
      states, but I have no data to back that up.

      Any other states that lend themselves to one-day assaults?

      Ryan
    • Roy Schweiker
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2005
        >I suspect Eastern states would do better on such a list than Western
        >states, but I have no data to back that up.

        Eastern states are generally smaller so 50 Finest will be closer together
        because of political boundaries whereas P2k are close only due to
        geology. Hence you should be able to get more FF in a day in the E
        because of shorter drives.

        When I was finishing off VT I would generally get 2 per day, but that
        includes driving over in daylight, scouting time, etc. The FF have over
        1000' prominence but there is often not a road over the key saddle or it
        may be some distance away so you may climb more than that. I suspect a
        fast hiker who scouted routes in advance could average one every 2 hours,
        or 7 on June 21 during daylight or 12 in a whole day. NH should be
        similar.

        -rs
      • Rob Woodall
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 6, 2005
          wererichertoo wrote

          > Now that we have 50 Finest lists (or I should 50 most topographically
          > prominent lists) for so many US states, and for many countries, I was
          > wondering if anyone has thought about this question: Which list has
          > the most that one could do it one day? Allowing driveups, cog
          > railways, bicycles, but no helicopters :-)

          Now there's a thought !

          Come to think of it, I bet you could do most of the Isle of Man Fifty Finest
          list in 24h (small British island; they have their own government - and
          summit railway). I notice I did 25 of the Manx FF on 1 March 2002 during
          the Bob Baxter
          Traverse which is a 50ish mile route with 11,400 ft of ascent, visiting all
          the island's 1000ft summits. I have the distinction of the second-slowest
          recorded time for the Baxter - 13h 02mins - so there's scope for adding
          a few more

          Rob Woodall, UK