Re: 2 VA trip reports

  • wererichertoo
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2005
      --- In prominence@yahoogroups.com, Roy Schweiker <roy.schweiker@j...>
      wrote:
      > Congratulations! Too bad there isn't a central repository for prominence
      > trip reports. Is MD or NC next?

      No, I could try to bag as many WV summits as possible (I have 11
      already), though I don't think you could reasonably 'complete' the
      state since most are coal-company owned. MD doesn't interest me since
      #1 (Quirauk Mtn) is such a pain to access, and western NC is just
      really inconvenient to get to.

      Actually with gas prices so high, my next goal is to ride a bicycle
      from my house to as many prominences as possible, sort of a miniature
      'sea-to-summit' project. I've already done Poor Mtn and Ft Lewis Mtn
      from my house, both are on VA's 50 finest.

      Ryan
    • Petter Bjorstad
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 7, 2005
        Hi,

        Last Saturday, I climbed peak number 26 (out of 26 total) in Southern Norway
        having prominence exceeding 1000 meter (actual prominence 1287 meter),
        this was sort of a milestone that has taken several years (actual prominence 1287 meter)
        to complete.
        There are still quite a few such peaks in Northen Norway, but they all require extensive
        travel by air. A next (feasible !) goal shall be to try climbing
        the 50 "finest" in Southern Norway, 11 peaks to go..

        A route description and pictures from the trip at:

        www.ii.uib.no/~petter/mountains/1000mtn.html#trolla

        This was originally planned as a possible "warm-up" hike for
        Esquared and myself at the start of his European trip, however,
        time constraints made us change plans and we ended up with an
        unsuccessful attempt (bad weather) on Europe's northernmost Ultra peak instead.

        Regards, Petter
      • Richard Webb
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 7, 2005
          At 17:26 07/09/2005, you wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > Last Saturday, I climbed peak number 26 (out of 26 total) in Southern Norway
          > having prominence exceeding 1000 meter (actual prominence 1287 meter),
          > this was sort of a milestone that has taken several years (actual
          > prominence 1287 meter)
          > to complete.
          > There are still quite a few such peaks in Northen Norway, but they all
          > require extensive
          > travel by air. A next (feasible !) goal shall be to try climbing
          > the 50 "finest" in Southern Norway, 11 peaks to go..
          >
          > A route description and pictures from the trip at:
          >
          > www.ii.uib.no/~petter/mountains/1000mtn.html#trolla
          >
          > This was originally planned as a possible "warm-up" hike for
          > Esquared and myself at the start of his European trip, however,
          > time constraints made us change plans and we ended up with an
          > unsuccessful attempt (bad weather) on Europe's northernmost Ultra peak
          > instead.
          >
          > Regards, Petter

          Congratulations.... I am rather envious.

          Thats a lot of big very high quality hills.

          Enjoy the north!

          Richard