Re: [prominence] TR: Vinson Massif, Antarctica

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 2, 2004
      A belated "congratulations" from this prominence enthusiast as well.
      Vinson Massif must've set you back, Rob, quite a fortune.

      I am envious of the balmy conditions you found there.

      (Aaron M)

      Sounds like you are well on your way to being a first completer of the World's top 50.

      Nice try, Aaron. Until the political climate in Columbia changes
      radically for the better,
      I do not see any person doing even the World's top 5 .... let alone the
      top 50:
      Cristobal Colon is simply inaccessible unless you don't mind a fair
      chance of being kidnapped!

      Adam Helman
      www.cohp.org

    • rmilne@cix.co.uk
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 4, 2004

        > Sounds like you are well on your way to being a first completer of the
        > World's top 50.
        >
        > Nice try, Aaron. Until the political climate in Columbia changes
        > radically for the better,
        On a similar vein, there are political problems for those wanting to do
        the 7 Summits. It seems Indonesia is not granting permission for Carstensz
        Pyramid and all the commercial trips that have wanted to go there in the
        past few years have been cancelled.
        (Luckily I was there 3 years ago and we seem to have been one of the last
        groups to get in to the peak.)
        I was on Vinson with a lot of frustrated would-be 7 summiters. This might
        affect the debate on Australia versus Oceania as the continent, since
        right now people have no choice!
        To be fair, everyone wanted to do Carstensz.

        cheers,
        Rob
      • Alun Fisher
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 4, 2004
          On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 09:00, rmilne@... wrote:
          > On a similar vein, there are political problems for those wanting to do
          > the 7 Summits. It seems Indonesia is not granting permission for Carstensz
          > Pyramid and all the commercial trips that have wanted to go there in the
          > past few years have been cancelled.
          > [...] This might
          > affect the debate on Australia versus Oceania as the continent, since
          > right now people have no choice!

          Except Cartenz is not in Oceania anyway, or at least I've never heard of
          Indonesia considering itself split over two continents a la Turkey and
          Russia. Politcially, the Oceanian HP is in PNG.

          So why is Oceania's political boundary not considered in the same way as
          those of the other six continents when it comes to mountain lists?

          Alun
        • Edward "7.389056099" Earl
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 5, 2004
            > Except Cartenz is not in Oceania anyway, or at least I've never heard of
            > Indonesia considering itself split over two continents a la Turkey and
            > Russia. Politcially, the Oceanian HP is in PNG.
            >
            > So why is Oceania's political boundary not considered in the same way as
            > those of the other six continents when it comes to mountain lists?

            Cartenz is on the same tectonic plate as Australia, so that is why it is often considered a
            replacement for Kosciusko with respect to the 7 summits. In the minds of many 7 summiters, the
            earth's physiographic regions are more important than political boundaries.

            Edward "7.389056099" Earl
            esquared@...
            http://www.k-online.com/~esquared/eae.htm
          • Beavers, Michael G.
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 5, 2004
              I have always thought that the seven summits were some what arbitrary
              considering that Europe, Asia, and Africa are all connected. The same for
              North and South America. Maybe a better list would be the highest summit on
              each tectonic plate.

              Mike B

              > Except Cartenz is not in Oceania anyway, or at least I've never heard of
              > Indonesia considering itself split over two continents a la Turkey and
              > Russia. Politcially, the Oceanian HP is in PNG.
              >
              > So why is Oceania's political boundary not considered in the same way as
              > those of the other six continents when it comes to mountain lists?

              Cartenz is on the same tectonic plate as Australia, so that is why it is
              often considered a
              replacement for Kosciusko with respect to the 7 summits. In the minds of
              many 7 summiters, the
              earth's physiographic regions are more important than political boundaries.

              Edward "7.389056099" Earl
              esquared@...
              http://www.k-online.com/~esquared/eae.htm
              <http://www.k-online.com/~esquared/eae.htm>

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c79v3i8/M=267637.4116730.5333196.1261774/D=egroup
              web/S=1705065786:HM/EXP=1076080478/A=1945638/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Def
              ault?mqso=60178383&partid=4116730> click here

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=267637.4116730.5333196.1261774/D=egroupweb
              /S=:HM/A=1945638/rand=230543912>

              _____

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            • Alun Fisher
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 8, 2004
                On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 15:16, Edward "7.389056099" Earl wrote:
                > > Except Cartenz is not in Oceania anyway, or at least I've never heard of
                > > Indonesia considering itself split over two continents a la Turkey and
                > > Russia. Politcially, the Oceanian HP is in PNG.
                > >
                > > So why is Oceania's political boundary not considered in the same way as
                > > those of the other six continents when it comes to mountain lists?
                > >
                > Cartenz is on the same tectonic plate as Australia, so that is why it is often considered a
                > replacement for Kosciusko with respect to the 7 summits. In the minds of many 7 summiters, the
                > earth's physiographic regions are more important than political boundaries.

                Except, as Edward well knows, there are more than seven continental
                tectonic plates yet we only count seven summits.

                Also, on both the counts of tectonic plates and general physiography,
                Elbrus has no place, being part of Eurasia / Asia. If we count the
                European peninsula as distinct in a general sense then its honours go
                to Mont Blanc, as Elbrus is on the Asian side of the Manych Depression
                {spelling?} between the Black and Caspian seas.

                Elbrus counts on political boundaries, but not physiography, and for
                Cartenz it is vice versa. You can't have Elbrus and Cartenz in the same
                7 summits list without a very contrived definition (so far as I can tell).

                (And Kosciusko doesn't count anywhichway at all.)

                Alun
              • Richard Webb
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 10, 2004
                  I always thought Europe was a Classical artifact, bound by the Caucasus. If
                  you recognise Europe as a continent, and I dont, then Elburus is
                  definitely in. Its an artifact, and totally independent of any actual
                  natural geography. Elbrus is north of the main Caucasus ridge. Were it on
                  the Georgian side Blanc would be in the clear.

                  Gets very silly with Georgia, Azerbaijan, Armenia and now Kazakhstan
                  playing in the European Football championships.

                  As for the Australian example.. Why should a continent not be partially
                  flooded? ie divided between New Guniea and Australia. Say the Eurasian hp
                  was on Great Britain (I wish!) would it be disqualified in place of some
                  lump on the mainland.

                  There is a submerged continent under the Indian Ocean, bits pop up now and
                  then, Kerguelen, Heard etc... and 15 million years ago a lot of it was up.
                  I think the summiters should swap Blanc/Elbrus for Big Ben... That will
                  thin them out even more :-)

                  Richard Webb