big hole comments

  • Andy Martin
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2001
      To: Mike, David, prominence@egroups

      Some feedback on the "Hole Story" list.

      (Mike Schwartz)
      May I be the first to put in a claim for a state "hole." I visited and
      descended to the bottom of Meteor Crater, AZ, in March, 1962, yes 1962. Back
      then they allowed hiking to the bottom on a use trail. According to my AAA
      TourBook, such hikes are now verboten. I would say na-na-na-na-nah, but I'll
      bet someone else from our group has been there, too. Not a very exciting
      hike in either direction, and I wouldn't want to do it in summer.

      (Andy)
      Can't fathom why Meteor Crater bottom is off limits, maybe
      folks were swiping too many space rocks ?
      Elimination of Rainier Crater reduces my collection of state pits
      to a shakey 1 (Great Salt Lake, south of interstate). Suppose
      I get partial credit for having at least been in Dixie Valley,
      Saline Valley, and looked at Crater Lake and Puhimau Crater.

      (David Olson)
      The National Atlas has a page on river basins that shows closed basins.

      CO When doing CO co. prominence I noted that some cos. seemed
      to have holes deeper than they had hills high.
      For grins you can look at Dotsero Crater.

      ID Lowest point in the Lost River system is the Birch Creek
      Sink.

      KS Ladder Creek is in a closed basin. So is the lake southeast
      of Scott City, in Lake township of Scott co.

      NV Humboldt Salt Marsh beats the Humboldt (River) Sink? In any
      case the Carson Sink is a little lower than the Humboldt Sink
      and takes Sump honors over the H- Sink.

      ND Devils Lake. Recent flooding there has resulted in very
      careful surveys of the overflow saddles.

      TX The El Paso Salt Basin.

      (Andy)
      Good one on Dotsero Crater. It has 240'+ depth, and gives CO
      a much more interesting pit. Also inspired me to look at
      craters on GNIS for CO, WA, MT. Dotsero is the only one for CO. WA
      has an East Crater that is 80+ (80) deep, thus Rainier & Baker
      are now out of the picture. MT has a "The Crater" with one depression
      contout, tying the leader.

      In NV the Humboldt Salt Marsh is at the bottom of the Dixie Valley,
      well SE of the Humboldt River Sink, and deeper to boot. Should be
      called the "Dixie Depression", too bad about the confusing naming.

      ID, KS, ND, TX will have to await my next visit to map library,
      which may be a while ...
    • Ronald Tagliapietra
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2001
        >(Mike Schwartz)
        > I descended to the bottom of Meteor Crater, AZ, in March, 1962, yes
        >1962. . . bet someone else from our group has been there, too. Not a
        very
        >exciting hike . . and I wouldn't want to do it in summer.

        Yes, I bottomed also on July 14, 1979. It was still open then and I
        enjoyed it even in summer. I hiked the rim trail loop the same day and
        was none the worse for heat. The rim loop is still open for those who
        like to circle their basins. I went back about 5 years ago and was
        disgusted with the descent closure.

        > (Andy)
        > to a shakey 1 (Great Salt Lake, south of interstate). Suppose
        > I get partial credit for having at least been in Dixie Valley,
        > Saline Valley, and looked at Crater Lake and Puhimau Crater.

        I have taken the boats to Wizard Island on Crater Lake and also stood on
        the shores of Salt Lake (nearest I-80) so I guess I have 3. Of course,
        I've been to Bad Water in Death Valley, but I guess you're saying that
        Salton Sea is more inverse prominence.
        I have also been to the Dead Sea in Israel.

        Finally, some other basins.
        Great Divide Basin, WY (or Red Desert; between two branches of
        Continental Divide)
        Meteor Crater near Odessa, TX (largest in US)
        Mt. St. Helens Crater
        Capulin Mtn. Crater, Capulin Volcanic Nat. Mon., northeast corner of New
        Mex.
        Bandera Crater, El Malpais Nat. Mon., off I-40 in west New Mex.
        several large craters, Craters of the Moon Nat. Mon., Idaho
        low point, Louisiana is below state (the only state offering such outside
        Calif.)
        Alkali Lakes, Calif. (dry) along the Nev. border in Modoc Co.
        Honey Lake, Calif. (dry) in Lassen Co. near Nevada
        Malheur Lake basin, Harney Co., Oregon
        various alkali lakes in Lake Co., Oregon
        Lunar Crater, south of US 6 in Nye Co., Nevada (and dry lake to east)
        Sevier Lake, large dry lake south of US 6 in Millard Co., Utah

        Lost Cove, TN (Cove Creek drops into a sink at Peter Cave and descends a
        quarter mile through the cave to exit Buggytop Cave), about 7 mi. S of
        Sewanee off TN 56

        Fallingwater SP, panhandle Florida has a 100 ft. deep sinkhole whose
        bottom third is choked with logs and stuff. The falls drops the remaining
        67 feet into the sinkhole. I doubt if any other basin in flat Florida
        could top that (though there are other big sinks in the same park).
        Nothing like waterfalls to the rescue in basin research :-)

        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
      • Steven Gruhn
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2001
          (Ron)

          Louisiana is below state (the only state offering such outside
          Calif.)

          (Steve)

          Presuming Ron meant that only California's and Louisiana's holes were below sea level, I think he and others might be interested in the existence of Nunavakanuk Lake in Alaska. It is 4 feet below sea level.
        • Roy Schweiker
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2001
            >(Steve)
            >
            >Presuming Ron meant that only California's and Louisiana's holes were
            >below sea level, I think he and others might be interested in the
            >existence of Nunavakanuk Lake in Alaska. It is 4 feet below sea
            >level.

            [digression]
            In another context, I have climbed a named summit only 15' above sea
            level.

            Anybody know whether there is a named summit in the US whose top is below
            sea level, and what its prominence might be?

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 3, 2001
              >(Steve)
              >Presuming Ron meant that only California's and Louisiana's holes were
              >below sea level, I think he and others might be interested in the
              >existence of Nunavakanuk Lake in Alaska. It is 4 feet below sea
              >level.

              Wow, thanks. I did not know about it. The government lowest elevations
              pamphlet does not list it and neither does Parsell's guide to the state
              low points. I hope someone has contact with Jack Parsell and can inform
              him of this amazing spot.

              Where in Alaska is it? What borough or census district? nearest town?
              quad? is it public land? This is incredible news off the back burner of
              Steve's amazing knowledge of his state. His passing comment is going to
              require the rewriting of all official publications - let's have some
              details!