3630Re: 'Prominencians'

  • wererichertoo
    Jul 12, 2006
      My personal favorite is 'prominencista', but then again I speak
      Spanish as a second language. The -ista suffix is far more versatile
      than feeble English equivalents such as -cian and -er.

      Also prominencista would not be the first -ista word to find its way
      into American English usage. 'Sandinista', 'fashionista', and
      'machista' are reasonably well known, based on Google hits on
      English-only sites.

      --- In prominence@yahoogroups.com, "John Roper" <jka.roper@...> wrote:
      > Prominencian, prominentian, and prominencer are not words found in my
      > Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, so unless I'm mistaken there is no
      > accepted "correct" spelling. New etymological ground is being
      broken here.
      > Prominencian has sort of a regal, distinguished ring to my ear.
      > Prominentian emphasizes "prominent" which is not what the prominence
      > is about. Prominencer sounds a little light in the loafers.
      > JR
      > (Andrew Usher)
      > Some people appear to be trying to establish the term 'prominencian'.
      > Before this becomes standard, I must point out that the correct
      > spelling would have to be 'prominentian' - compare pairs like
      > influence/influential.
      > However, a better formation might be 'prominencer'.
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic