3619Re: [prominence] 10 Ultras in 10 days.

    Jul 11, 2006
      Your comments about Pilot are noted, Dennis.

      A shame since from Interstate-80 Pilot looks SO impressive.

      Edward Earl and myself are planning to be there in mid-September -
      and possibly with Andy Martin, Scott Casterlin.

      107+ miles and 44,000+ feet sounds like climbing Denali TWICE
      with round-trips from the very base such as with the Wonder Lake approach.

      Adam H.

      Dennis Poulin wrote:

      >Thanks all for the kind words. No I'm not pink and fuzzy. I stopped at 10
      >because it was a nice round number and a worthy goal for all the youngsters
      >in the group to shoot for. Actually, I was exhausted and my wife was
      >spending too much money while I was away.
      >These are all great hikes except for Pilot. Pilot is misspelled on all the
      >topo's. It should be "Pile-It". This mountain was named by the pioneers
      >before they had sewage plants and the ground is too rocky and the sun too
      >hot for digging so they designated an area where they could just Pile-It.
      >Thanks to Dean for the great company and excellent Trip Reports and Route
      >Information. Thanks to Bob for the inspiration to complete yet another
      >107+ miles, 44,000+ feet of elevation gain.
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic