An idea that can solve several problems

  • aaaquickprocess
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9, 2013
      As a former law enforcement officer now running a small Process Service company in North Alabama, I think I may have a solution to some of the school security problems. In my humble opinion, I think this will help.

      Since many county governments (in Alabama and Georgia at least) use Certified Law Enforcement Officers to serve legal papers, wouldn't it be more beneficial to reassign these officers to work in or around schools? They are trained to protect and serve (the public). When I went through the "academy", I learned everything except how to find hand out a legal document. I learned how to deal with all types of criminals and dangerous situations. Teaching us how to hand out legal papers was not a priority.

      Don't get me wrong, I'm not down-playing the importance or the dangers of serving legal papers, I just think it would be more beneficial to use an officer who is already trained and whose pay is already allocated in schools instead of in the process of serving legal documents. When you compare the two tasks, which one seems more important? Protect our kids or serve legal documents?

      In the county where I was certified (population about 65,000), we had 4-6 deputies who worked daily to serve papers. That's 4-6 deputies who could be reassigned to protect our kids.

      I have sent this idea to several of my local law makers. Only one responded. He thought it was a good idea that "needed more study". If we, as an industry, can help this idea gain traction, we can accomplish several tasks:
      - protect our kids in and around schools
      - lessen the budgetary effects of adding officers in schools
      - get more work for ourselves.

      Am I off base here? I'd like to hear your comments. By the way, if anyone needs a Process Server in North Alabama or South Central Tennessee, call AAA Quick Process. Our website is AAAQuickProcess.com.

      Stan Reese
      co-owner, AAA Quick Process and AAA Quick Look