Process Serving Price shoppers

  • Melissa
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2013
      We get so many people shopping around, purely for the lowest prices, and I try to talk some sense to them, but it rarely works.

      We had one today from Florida. Being they cut throats with the sheriffs down there ( who are subsidized by tax dollars to compete with private industry ), serves are very cheap. So the caller says that they need the lowest cost server here or they can't make any money.

      I tell them it's just not true. When they send serves out of state, they have to explain to clients that it costs extra. ( We've seen serves come from California where they paid us $65 and charged their clients $185. ) Do they seriously think that they can charge $22 a serve in Florida and then get someone to serve it for that, or less than that in Colorado?

      I explained to the woman that she should be careful with price shopping, as Colorado is an unregulated state and we even have convicted felons serving here. There was even a felony-convicted, imprisoned and released pedophile discovered serving here some years back, and I understand he's still serving.

      I also explain to them that some of the big companies pay as little as $10 a serve and have to hire a continuous stream of people off the street, give them a class, and send them out with their documents.

      I knew of one of these awhile back, that fired 15 servers in a single day. And I've heard of a big local company has about a 1/3 bad address rate and they do "no serve no pay".

      How can anyone even break even doing that? They have a continuous turnover of people who were told they "could make good money at process serving" and then lose their shirts trying, with those terms.

      And though the owner of a company may be a very experienced NAPPS member, their employees are likely not.

      I also explain that we're a sole server business here. I'm the NAPPS member and we don't subcontract - I do all my own serves. I've worked in excess of an estimated 10,000 serves since 2006, all by myself.

      But most of the price shoppers don't seem to care and they just keep calling around.

      Melissa Brookstone
      Denver Process Servers LLC
      Melissa@...
      Main: 1-800-691-6219 Fax: 1-800-870-4318
      http://DenverProcessServers.net/
      NAPPS - National Association of Professional Process Servers
      PSACO - Process Servers Association of Colorado
      PPIAC - Professional Private Investigators Association of Colorado