copy that in the literal sense

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 22, 2013
      Hello
      Robert

      Re: Video recorders. I�ve been fairly lucky
      as well but the heads will wear eventually or even need a proper clean. There
      was a reference on the Net back along which said ignore cleaning tapes and just
      use a Q-tip.

      I take it you do know how to transfer video
      to DVD??

      Hello
      John

      I only have vague memories of a stereo
      video recorder over here and even then it still depends on output to make the
      most of them. Does it make much difference in how it�s transferred to DVD?? I�m
      thinking back to what you said about the sound levels of recordings being lower
      than you expected from the pro-DVDs. Information on that says the recording was
      done by a different technique than is currently employed.

      Hello
      Martin

      Not sure if I�d fancy living in Calgary or
      India with their current floods right now neither.

      Re: PROBE reshowing. I presume the 2 hour
      slot also included the adverts.

      Re: Combined Video/DVD recorders. Isn�t it
      odd how the DVD end packs in first when considering the only moving part is the
      disk. There�s so much more that can go wrong with the video end.

      Would it be difficult getting or getting
      inside to replace the DVD drive?? Mind you, I tried to replace a DVD drive in
      one of my older players and they really aren�t made to make life easy to do so.

      Re: TV studios. I always find it
      fascinating that no matter how much money they have coming in, they tend to be
      reluctant to update equipment. Then again, it might not always be about
      cheapskating but the knowledge that the material they might have to play with
      needs the older equipment. Our BBC has been moving offices lately but I wouldn�t
      be surprised that they still have the older equipment hanging around just in
      case.

      Re: actor contracts. When it comes to how
      they are written, it can often be seen as a gamble. Would you rather have a
      massive one-off payment or a trickle of royalties over many years?? As often
      contracts are signed before a series becomes a success there is often no way of
      knowing. Even when a show is a success and further contracts are signed, actors
      might still prefer it that way.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 22, 2013
        Stereo only comes into play if I am digitizing a home recording that was
        recorded in stereo and the sound track had actual stereo elements to it.
        Since most of my tapes were recorded before stereo broadcasting, it doesn't
        matter. I am a techie so I want everything to be a certain way.

        Some off brand home DVD players have regular DVD-rom drives. My living
        room player is one with a rom and I have replaced the actual unit many
        times over the years...so I consider it one of my best purchases. When I
        was recording to DVDs, I bought a unit that used a DVD burner rom, and I
        replaced the actual unit many times...another good purchase.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 22, 2013
          Hello
          John

          Re: stereo. I bet you�ve got multiple
          speakers linked up to your TV. :-) My science background tends to think that
          other than volume, the brain and hearing adapts to what it is hearing.

          We don�t necessarily have a bigger selection
          of DVD recorders over here, let alone at a decent price when it comes to
          multi-region. Even the LG range has become somewhat limited in choice lately
          although my current one is still doing well. What make are you using??

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 22, 2013
            The recording DVD unit is a Lite On 5005. I still have use for it. I have
            two encoding devices, but both have software that read common signal
            weakness as copy protection and shut down. The Lite On has a hidden menu
            that turns off copy protection, so I am still able to digitize some home
            recorded tapes that the other devices refuse to do. And the really stupid
            thing about it: I have digitized a couple of commercial release tapes that
            have not been reissued on DVD, and those don't trip the copy protection at
            all.

            Of course our ears adapt to what we are hearing...some more than others. I
            am amazed when I am driving long distance with other people who will change
            the station the very second there is the slightest bit of static. I just
            ignore the static and concentrate on the content.

            It is just the techie in me that says if there is a stereo signal in there,
            then digitize it as stereo.