Re: [probe_control] OT: To VHS or Not to VHS...

    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 21, 2013
      Martin,

      Yep... I'm still here, just been a bit quiet for a while since I'm not at all savvy with editing film or video tape (only the results thereof, as John mentioned with the footage-hungry WPIX station; I should mention that WNEW - or whatever they're calling themselves these days; it's Channel 5 from New York City and was still WNEW when I left the area - was also hungry when it came to eating up footage from re-runs, with really bad splicing where you could tell the film or tape had broken... they literally ate the media).

      Anyway, you've got my e-mail. Shoot me a line when you need to. I'll be here.

      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 22, 2013
        Mr. McNay:
          Not that it's any concern of yours, but the storm front actually moved off and pelted Tallahassee about 10 minutes after I started writing. What do you want, a running commentary on the weather? Besides, I don't recall anyone holding a gun to your head and making you read something that wasn't addressed to YOU in the first place. That quick enough for you?
        mta

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 22, 2013
          Ah...I think Robert was commenting in a complimentary way how much good
          info you gave in a quick-before-the-storm-hits email. He had a smiley face
          emote-con at the end of the comment to show he was friendly teasing.

          I looked and you are right, the combo models are stereo. I hadn't even
          looked at those...because the last thing I wanted was another DVD player.
          But I may force myself since I still have a few miillon tapes to go.

          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 22, 2013
            Greetings, All,

            I think we should show a little understanding in this situation. There have been times when I've been under some serious strain, taken a comment the way it wasn't intended to be, and lashed out because of it.

            I'm certain that many of our members have seen Martin post and say that he'd like to talk to me about some things. (I'm sure everyone saw his last post a few days ago where he addressed the opening line to me indicating such a desire again.)

            I will not go into detail since it is not mine to go into, however I will say that Martin is going through some serious difficulties - almost the same ones which I have been going through for nigh-on four years now which is why he asks for my help now and then - and if his stress level is what mine has reached I understand how he could easily mistake a joking comment to be a snide one and lash out.

            I'm not saying that EVERY member should 'walk on eggshells' in case SOME member is experiencing a strenuous time in his life; only that if one of our members - such as Martin, or possibly even myself - responds to a post in a very uncharacteristic manner (such as a lash-out), that we all take under consideration the possibility that maybe something in that member's life is going quite wrong.

            Smileys aside, the typed word has no inflection or facial expressions to "read", and typed "smileys" are very easy to miss, hence in such occasions my use of "<wink-wink, nudge-nudge, know-what-I-mean?>" to indicate that I am indeed joking. (Either that, or I'll actually type "<there's a joke in there>".)

            So with that, I humbly suggest that we put this one behind us, let there be no hard feelings but understanding instead, and move onward, back to our usual discussions of the usual topics.

            Thanks for listening (or in this case, reading).

            Ah...I think Robert was commenting in a complimentary way how much good
            info you gave in a quick-before-the-storm-hits email. He had a smiley face
            emote-con at the end of the comment to show he was friendly teasing.

            I looked and you are right, the combo models are stereo. I hadn't even
            looked at those...because the last thing I wanted was another DVD player.
            But I may force myself since I still have a few miillon tapes to go.

            On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 11:52 AM, martin allen <zippytkat@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Mr. McNay:
            > Not that it's any concern of yours, but the storm front actually moved
            > off and pelted Tallahassee about 10 minutes after I started writing. What
            > do you want, a running commentary on the weather? Besides, I don't recall
            > anyone holding a gun to your head and making you read something that wasn't
            > addressed to YOU in the first place. That quick enough for you?
            > mta

          • martin allen
            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 24, 2013
              OK:
               Mea Culpa:
                 I plainly did not see the emoticon on Robert's letter. Dino's right, I am going through a bit of hell right now and I will explain--if only because it may illuminate a situation a lot of you may find yourself faced with some day. I am currently being harrassed for money by the previous crooked rest home my father was in this time last year. (And I'm none too happy with the senior management of the one he's in now). I had thought that, based on a conversation I had with one of their business officers in another city that they would have had the decency to drop it by now. Hah, hah.
                 With any luck though, things may have just changed a bit in my favor. This morning I got a call back from my father's secondary insurance carrier, Tri-Care. As I suspected, a so-called 'deal' the facility claimed they had struck with Tri-Care appears to be totally bogus. And, based on the invoice they sent me, they are giving me NO credit for monies I now believe were all but extorted out of me for a period of five months. I am going to be haunting the mailbox the next few days and see what sort of written confirmation I get as to what Tri-Care has actually paid this clip-joint. If there's as much of a discrepancy in what THEY report as I suspect there might be, my next long-form essay is to my local Congressman. (Well, I'm writing him anyway--exactly what remains to be seen). Then the senior Senator from this state and maybe a total media barrage. I WAS willing to leave well enough alone, but not anymore. You simply do not treat an almost 90-year
              old Veteran of WWII as some sort of cash cow. Especially a member of The First Marine Division. 18 islands in the Pacific Theater and he was never even grazed by a slug. A Portugese Man O'War, now that's a different story...
                 Dino, I could use that VA contact info you sent me once before, so I don't have to trawl through my old e-mails, thanks. And I appreciate the back-up.
                 Geoff, you must be looking at this and shaking your head at what a barbarous system we are currently stuck with and I couldn't blame you. I was struck by the unintended irony in the current issue of CinemaRetro wherein there's a capsule review/appreciation of the 1971 film, 'The Hospital', with George C. Scott., written by Paddy Chayevsky. I believe it contains a one-liner said by Scott, (much like the one in MASH), about "This isn't a hospital, it's an insane asylum!!"...well, the piece ends with a query by the writer wondering why this film isn't better known or shown more often. He's kidding, right? In this country it's amazing it was made at all--but I'm pretty damn certain it's being actively suppressed. And I don't care if that sticks in the NSA's craw--I have nothing to hide.
                 Again, my apologies--the last thing I need to do is piss off any of you guys. This is one of the few groups I belong to, and I need all the friends I can get.
              My turn to say thanks for listening.
              Martin

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 24, 2013
                Martin,

                No problem. I'll e-mail you the contact info later today.

                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 25, 2013
                  Hello
                  Martin

                  Some of the nursing homes over here are
                  probably no better. Considering how much people pay to stay in them you would
                  think they would be making enough profit without not looking after the OAPs
                  properly and paying for the right kind of people.

                  To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 25, 2013
                    Aside from the fact that there is not always a lot to talk about with a 41
                    year old one season show, the reason I have never minded OT discussions is
                    you never know what resources may be out there if you but ask. For
                    instance, I was not aware that you, Martin, had such master control
                    experience in television. Any time I have a stupid trivia question about
                    how or why things work they way they do, you're the man (don't worry...I
                    don't have any at the moment.) While I haven't done it yet, I am always
                    thinking that I will write to Geoff to ask about certain British slang that
                    I hear as I watch old and new British shows. From Dino you are getting
                    contact info to help you in your current situation

                    I am hoping that maybe someone out there has knowledge of this sort of
                    thing that can contact you and give you some help.

                    And some of us will be happy to come to your area with baseball bats to
                    resolve the issue, if necessary.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 25, 2013
                      Hello
                      John

                      In many ways, this chat group is more of an
                      old boys (and the odd girl) network since we were, even us abroad, are all of
                      the same age, give or take a year, so have a similar background with the shows
                      back then.

                      Looking at the skills group amongst are,
                      like Rob Sawyer and Bob Greenberger doing something with writing :-) and the
                      number of the others of you involved in the media with other experience, then
                      we must be even more unique.

                      Jim, you belong to many chat groups, is
                      there enough support evidence for this??

                      Just as a test, raise a show subject and
                      see how many hands turn up saying they do repeat viewings.

                      To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
                      From: actingman6@...
                      Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 12:55:09 -0400

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 25, 2013

                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 25, 2013
                          Hi Geoff;
                              Looks like I spoke too soon again. Over here, one could perhaps be excused for thinking that after nearly 60 years, that most, if not all of the bugs about National Health would have been worked out by now--let me take a wild guess--do they use the same rubric about 'skilled' vs. 'semi-skilled' care on your end as they do here?
                          martin

                          ________________________________
                          probably no better. Considering how much people pay to stay in them you would
                          think they would be making enough profit without not looking after the OAPs
                          properly and paying for the right kind of people.

                          Geoff

                          ***************  Geoff Willmetts    editor, SFCrowsnest.org.uk  and other suffixes ****************

                          To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com

                          Ah...I think Robert was commenting in a complimentary way how much good

                          info you gave in a quick-before-the-storm-hits email. He had a smiley face

                          emote-con at the end of the comment to show he was friendly teasing.

                          I looked and you are right, the combo models are stereo. I hadn't even

                          looked at those...because the last thing I wanted was another DVD player.

                          But I may force myself since I still have a few miillon tapes to go.

                          On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 11:52 AM, martin allen <mailto:zippytkat%40yahoo.com> wrote:

                          > **

                          > Mr. McNay:

                          > Not that it's any concern of yours, but the storm front actually moved

                          > off and pelted Tallahassee about 10 minutes after I started writing. What

                          > do you want, a running commentary on the weather? Besides, I don't recall

                          > anyone holding a gun to your head and making you read something that wasn't

                          > addressed to YOU in the first place. That quick enough for you?

                          > mta

                        • martin allen
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 25, 2013
                            Hi John,
                                Thank you for the emo-support--but as far as M/C experience, I must forbear--I only have a little bit after all--two overnight stints, about a year apart, both of which came to a crashing ruin, mostly from sleep-deprivation--well, the first one was aggravated by the fact that I had barely had the job for two months when 9/11 happened, and I literally spent two weeks doing nothing but watching endless reruns of that whole conflagration...if it wasn't so bloody esoteric, I think I could make a good case for having contracted PTSD. Every ad break was canceled, as well as all satellite feeds...in fact, I ended up putting the first ads back on the channel, during an SNL re-run. I couldn't help but notice though, that every bumper was being altered on the live feed (before it went out) to remove every passing shot of the Twin Towers from the tape that I would switch from for local spots...Talk about sanitizing something on the cheap...but that's
                            television today...kind of glad I'm out of it--I'd sooner stock shelves in a grocery store--something I'm actually working on, at the moment...
                            martin

                            Message 13 of 24 , Jun 26, 2013
                              And that story alone proves that you have insight that I can value.

                              And it reminds me of my own experiences in radio.