Re: [probe_control] OT: Wikipedia Article On Broadcast Syndication

    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 21, 2013
      That is true with anything. Remember, while there are a lot of tv and
      radio stations, there still aren't as many as there are ordinary
      consumers. It is a different kind of market, with a different scope and a
      different supply chain. This is a guess on my part, but I suspect that in
      the broadcast industry, if you can't get parts for a particular piece of
      equipment, it is no longer the industry standard. How many stations are
      still trying to get parts for their kinescope (telerecording) recorders?

      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 21, 2013
        Hello
        John

        I tend to think with some things there is a
        finite supply. Just how durable are these machines??

        If anything, I would be inclined to transfer
        the material onto something that would be read longer. Maybe that�s Warner�s
        ulterior motive. :-)

        > To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
        > From: actingman6@...
        > Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 06:55:09 -0400
        > Subject: Re: [probe_control] OT: Wikipedia Article On Broadcast Syndication
        >
        > That is true with anything. Remember, while there are a lot of tv and
        > radio stations, there still aren't as many as there are ordinary
        > consumers. It is a different kind of market, with a different scope and a
        > different supply chain. This is a guess on my part, but I suspect that in
        > the broadcast industry, if you can't get parts for a particular piece of
        > equipment, it is no longer the industry standard. How many stations are
        > still trying to get parts for their kinescope (telerecording) recorders?
        >

        > On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 5:36 AM, gf willmetts
        > <gfwillmetts-2@...>wrote:
        >

        > > Hello
        > > John
        > >

        > > The real problem is how long will the spare
        > > parts be available. Look at how quickly the demise of the home video
        > > recorder
        > > came about when manufacturers said they�d stop making them. I bought a
        > > spare
        > > second one before the prices went up on them but I bet there are still many
        > > people who still use them, if only for watch and wipe.
        > >

        > > Geoff

      • Robert McNay
        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 21, 2013
          With proper care and feeding, a good VHS machine is pretty durable. My current Sony unit is almost 22 years old.

          With the reduced usage it and my second one are getting, I assume they will last a lot longer. They have to, I have too much anime on VHS that's never been released on DVD.

          RLM

          ________________________________

          ***************  Geoff Willmetts    editor, SFCrowsnest.org.uk  and other suffixes ****************

          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 21, 2013
            My pure blind speculation is that Warner is using the archive model to help
            pay for a full inventory sorting as well as 21st century digitization.

            Broadcast equipment is built to last. And with proper maintenance, it
            does. I have used 20 year old cart machines at some of my radio jobs.

            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 21, 2013
              The problem is you can still buy VHS machines...but as far as I can tell,
              you can't buy stereo models. I burned a stereo model out digitizing my
              way-too-many VHS tapes, and could not find another stereo machine to
              replace it.

              On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Robert McNay <CptMatt@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > With proper care and feeding, a good VHS machine is pretty durable. My
              > current Sony unit is almost 22 years old.
              >
              > With the reduced usage it and my second one are getting, I assume they
              > will last a lot longer. They have to, I have too much anime on VHS that's
              > never been released on DVD.
              >
              > RLM

            • martin allen
              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 21, 2013
                Hi All:

                   Gotta write this quick, there's a storm coming, and I am stuck in Florida...
                First: Dino--glad to see you're still out there--they're piling on again, I think we need to talk--soon.

                Geoff: Would have written sooner, but for the usual complications--my side of things re: the Search pilot is like this (and, prescient of you, nothing much past the mid-80's anyway)--shortly after I was forced to leave Houston  in early 1986, due to a multitude of factors, the local ABC affiliate KTRK-13 ran the pilot (with 'Search' titles) uncut, bar the line with Dr. Barnett saying 'Make him a better offer'--that line appears to have been cut from every version of the film on air since 1972, including several editions I recieved from Don and Jim--I got the KTRK cut from a friend and have since passed it on to D&J, if only because it had more of the 'diamond' bumpers than any other version I've seen since...it later ran on WTBS in a 90-minute cut down, then occasionally in a full 2-hour slot, but I haven't caught a listing of it since the early 90's at best. All of this prior to the WAC release, of course...

                For those of you who can't find stereo VHS anymore, where are you shopping? If you're looking for stand-alone VHS, forget it. I can still find combo units (DVD/VHS) that are full stereo and work just fine--I've burned out the DVD side of several, but the tape sides are still OK, I ought to know, I'm sitting on a few...

                Now, as to the TV station format-thing--I haven't been able to work for a number of years now, owing to having to be sole care-giver to my father--but when I had the semblance of a life, I used to work in local TV--and that covers a multitude of sins...

                Up until the late 90's the local Tallahassee ABC station had S-VHS for broadcast, as well as an old 1" reel-to-reel deck, for 'emergencies'. They fired the damn thing up once, when I was running tapes for the morning news, and when that bitch got running, I wanted to dive behind the nearest sofa--there wasn't one, so I settled for channeling Rhett Butler--"Has the war started?", my exact quote...what a racket...My last day there, I hi-jacked their one remaining 2" take-up reel for a souvenier--they were only using it for a doorstop anyway--sounds like ITV and the Sapphire and Steel reels, doesn't it?

                I  later worked for one (now long dead and totally unremembered cable outfit) that tried to run everything on hard-drive (this would be around 2002-3)--they would record everything on DVC and then convert it--sounds like a nice idea, but they were running the entire transmission side on an old MS-DOS program. If the term "what a lash-up" comes to mind, it fits.

                In this crummy little market, (about 100 or more below where Jim works,)  I would be surprised if anyone is totally digital yet, likely not for years. My next to last post in Master Control was partly DVC, and whatever else seemed to fit. One overnight shift on M/C, I was handed a 3/4" (U-Matic) tape with a local ad from the early 80's on it. The sponsor was an Air Conditioner repair firm--try as I might, I could not get the input decks to read the signal. I had to run the damn ad four times that night which made for some interesting mental and physical gymnastics--I had to re-route the signal and do a fast switch from the one working 3/4" deck and back to the DVC side, in the middle of a block of ads--tricky, but I made it work. Like as not, no one was watching anyway...story of my life...

                As to stations that get shows they still might run on tape, these might yet be old 'cash sale' tapes that they've been sitting on for years--in my day, there were two kinds of satellite feeds that would come down the pike--standard syndication runs that would go on the play-once-and-wipe side and the others that would feed once, at a slightly higher rate per episode, but the station could keep those and run them as often as they liked for the duration of the contract. This would include stuff like the later years of 'Cheers'--when Ted Danson got an estimated $1 million an episode, on Network, (yeah, but did he actually get it?), he forsaked any other kind of royalty payment on those episodes for as long as they were broadcast. One would assume the DVD releases were covered under a seperate contract, but I bet it was a pittance compared to his original pay-out...if indeed he ever got it. I gather Richard Basehart is still waiting for his 25% of
                Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea...and yes, I know he's dead...has been for quite a while...

                For what it's worth: my second ever VHS, from 1986 worked until a few years ago when the color chip finally burned out. It's an early Stereo, capable of simulcast (like that's still around), but I don't have the nerve to get rid of it. It's an old soldier that I still keep around. It's earned it's retirement.

                Best,
                martin

                ________________________________

                On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Robert McNay <mailto:CptMatt%40ameritech.net> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > With proper care and feeding, a good VHS machine is pretty durable. My
                > current Sony unit is almost 22 years old.
                >
                > With the reduced usage it and my second one are getting, I assume they
                > will last a lot longer. They have to, I have too much anime on VHS that's
                > never been released on DVD.
                >
                > RLM

              • Robert McNay
                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 21, 2013
                  This has to be another usage of the word "quick" that I was previously unaware of. :-)

                  Rob

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 21, 2013
                    Martin,

                    Yep... I'm still here, just been a bit quiet for a while since I'm not at all savvy with editing film or video tape (only the results thereof, as John mentioned with the footage-hungry WPIX station; I should mention that WNEW - or whatever they're calling themselves these days; it's Channel 5 from New York City and was still WNEW when I left the area - was also hungry when it came to eating up footage from re-runs, with really bad splicing where you could tell the film or tape had broken... they literally ate the media).

                    Anyway, you've got my e-mail. Shoot me a line when you need to. I'll be here.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 22, 2013
                      Mr. McNay:
                        Not that it's any concern of yours, but the storm front actually moved off and pelted Tallahassee about 10 minutes after I started writing. What do you want, a running commentary on the weather? Besides, I don't recall anyone holding a gun to your head and making you read something that wasn't addressed to YOU in the first place. That quick enough for you?
                      mta

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 22, 2013
                        Ah...I think Robert was commenting in a complimentary way how much good
                        info you gave in a quick-before-the-storm-hits email. He had a smiley face
                        emote-con at the end of the comment to show he was friendly teasing.

                        I looked and you are right, the combo models are stereo. I hadn't even
                        looked at those...because the last thing I wanted was another DVD player.
                        But I may force myself since I still have a few miillon tapes to go.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 22, 2013
                          Greetings, All,

                          I think we should show a little understanding in this situation. There have been times when I've been under some serious strain, taken a comment the way it wasn't intended to be, and lashed out because of it.

                          I'm certain that many of our members have seen Martin post and say that he'd like to talk to me about some things. (I'm sure everyone saw his last post a few days ago where he addressed the opening line to me indicating such a desire again.)

                          I will not go into detail since it is not mine to go into, however I will say that Martin is going through some serious difficulties - almost the same ones which I have been going through for nigh-on four years now which is why he asks for my help now and then - and if his stress level is what mine has reached I understand how he could easily mistake a joking comment to be a snide one and lash out.

                          I'm not saying that EVERY member should 'walk on eggshells' in case SOME member is experiencing a strenuous time in his life; only that if one of our members - such as Martin, or possibly even myself - responds to a post in a very uncharacteristic manner (such as a lash-out), that we all take under consideration the possibility that maybe something in that member's life is going quite wrong.

                          Smileys aside, the typed word has no inflection or facial expressions to "read", and typed "smileys" are very easy to miss, hence in such occasions my use of "<wink-wink, nudge-nudge, know-what-I-mean?>" to indicate that I am indeed joking. (Either that, or I'll actually type "<there's a joke in there>".)

                          So with that, I humbly suggest that we put this one behind us, let there be no hard feelings but understanding instead, and move onward, back to our usual discussions of the usual topics.

                          Thanks for listening (or in this case, reading).

                          Ah...I think Robert was commenting in a complimentary way how much good
                          info you gave in a quick-before-the-storm-hits email. He had a smiley face
                          emote-con at the end of the comment to show he was friendly teasing.

                          I looked and you are right, the combo models are stereo. I hadn't even
                          looked at those...because the last thing I wanted was another DVD player.
                          But I may force myself since I still have a few miillon tapes to go.

                          On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 11:52 AM, martin allen <zippytkat@...> wrote:

                          > **
                          >

                          > Mr. McNay:
                          > Not that it's any concern of yours, but the storm front actually moved
                          > off and pelted Tallahassee about 10 minutes after I started writing. What
                          > do you want, a running commentary on the weather? Besides, I don't recall
                          > anyone holding a gun to your head and making you read something that wasn't
                          > addressed to YOU in the first place. That quick enough for you?
                          > mta

                        • martin allen
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 24, 2013
                            OK:
                             Mea Culpa:
                               I plainly did not see the emoticon on Robert's letter. Dino's right, I am going through a bit of hell right now and I will explain--if only because it may illuminate a situation a lot of you may find yourself faced with some day. I am currently being harrassed for money by the previous crooked rest home my father was in this time last year. (And I'm none too happy with the senior management of the one he's in now). I had thought that, based on a conversation I had with one of their business officers in another city that they would have had the decency to drop it by now. Hah, hah.
                               With any luck though, things may have just changed a bit in my favor. This morning I got a call back from my father's secondary insurance carrier, Tri-Care. As I suspected, a so-called 'deal' the facility claimed they had struck with Tri-Care appears to be totally bogus. And, based on the invoice they sent me, they are giving me NO credit for monies I now believe were all but extorted out of me for a period of five months. I am going to be haunting the mailbox the next few days and see what sort of written confirmation I get as to what Tri-Care has actually paid this clip-joint. If there's as much of a discrepancy in what THEY report as I suspect there might be, my next long-form essay is to my local Congressman. (Well, I'm writing him anyway--exactly what remains to be seen). Then the senior Senator from this state and maybe a total media barrage. I WAS willing to leave well enough alone, but not anymore. You simply do not treat an almost 90-year
                            old Veteran of WWII as some sort of cash cow. Especially a member of The First Marine Division. 18 islands in the Pacific Theater and he was never even grazed by a slug. A Portugese Man O'War, now that's a different story...
                               Dino, I could use that VA contact info you sent me once before, so I don't have to trawl through my old e-mails, thanks. And I appreciate the back-up.
                               Geoff, you must be looking at this and shaking your head at what a barbarous system we are currently stuck with and I couldn't blame you. I was struck by the unintended irony in the current issue of CinemaRetro wherein there's a capsule review/appreciation of the 1971 film, 'The Hospital', with George C. Scott., written by Paddy Chayevsky. I believe it contains a one-liner said by Scott, (much like the one in MASH), about "This isn't a hospital, it's an insane asylum!!"...well, the piece ends with a query by the writer wondering why this film isn't better known or shown more often. He's kidding, right? In this country it's amazing it was made at all--but I'm pretty damn certain it's being actively suppressed. And I don't care if that sticks in the NSA's craw--I have nothing to hide.
                               Again, my apologies--the last thing I need to do is piss off any of you guys. This is one of the few groups I belong to, and I need all the friends I can get.
                            My turn to say thanks for listening.
                            Martin

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 24 , Jun 24, 2013
                              Martin,

                              No problem. I'll e-mail you the contact info later today.

                              Message 14 of 24 , Jun 25, 2013
                                Hello
                                Martin

                                Some of the nursing homes over here are
                                probably no better. Considering how much people pay to stay in them you would
                                think they would be making enough profit without not looking after the OAPs
                                properly and paying for the right kind of people.

                                To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com

                                Message 15 of 24 , Jun 25, 2013
                                  Aside from the fact that there is not always a lot to talk about with a 41
                                  year old one season show, the reason I have never minded OT discussions is
                                  you never know what resources may be out there if you but ask. For
                                  instance, I was not aware that you, Martin, had such master control
                                  experience in television. Any time I have a stupid trivia question about
                                  how or why things work they way they do, you're the man (don't worry...I
                                  don't have any at the moment.) While I haven't done it yet, I am always
                                  thinking that I will write to Geoff to ask about certain British slang that
                                  I hear as I watch old and new British shows. From Dino you are getting
                                  contact info to help you in your current situation

                                  I am hoping that maybe someone out there has knowledge of this sort of
                                  thing that can contact you and give you some help.

                                  And some of us will be happy to come to your area with baseball bats to
                                  resolve the issue, if necessary.

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jun 25, 2013
                                    Hello
                                    John

                                    In many ways, this chat group is more of an
                                    old boys (and the odd girl) network since we were, even us abroad, are all of
                                    the same age, give or take a year, so have a similar background with the shows
                                    back then.

                                    Looking at the skills group amongst are,
                                    like Rob Sawyer and Bob Greenberger doing something with writing :-) and the
                                    number of the others of you involved in the media with other experience, then
                                    we must be even more unique.

                                    Jim, you belong to many chat groups, is
                                    there enough support evidence for this??

                                    Just as a test, raise a show subject and
                                    see how many hands turn up saying they do repeat viewings.

                                    To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: actingman6@...
                                    Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 12:55:09 -0400

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jun 25, 2013

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jun 25, 2013
                                        Hi Geoff;
                                            Looks like I spoke too soon again. Over here, one could perhaps be excused for thinking that after nearly 60 years, that most, if not all of the bugs about National Health would have been worked out by now--let me take a wild guess--do they use the same rubric about 'skilled' vs. 'semi-skilled' care on your end as they do here?
                                        martin

                                        ________________________________

                                        Ah...I think Robert was commenting in a complimentary way how much good

                                        info you gave in a quick-before-the-storm-hits email. He had a smiley face

                                        emote-con at the end of the comment to show he was friendly teasing.

                                        I looked and you are right, the combo models are stereo. I hadn't even

                                        looked at those...because the last thing I wanted was another DVD player.

                                        But I may force myself since I still have a few miillon tapes to go.

                                        On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 11:52 AM, martin allen <mailto:zippytkat%40yahoo.com> wrote:

                                        > **

                                        > Mr. McNay:

                                        > Not that it's any concern of yours, but the storm front actually moved

                                        > off and pelted Tallahassee about 10 minutes after I started writing. What

                                        > do you want, a running commentary on the weather? Besides, I don't recall

                                        > anyone holding a gun to your head and making you read something that wasn't

                                        > addressed to YOU in the first place. That quick enough for you?

                                        > mta

                                      • martin allen
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jun 25, 2013
                                          Hi John,
                                              Thank you for the emo-support--but as far as M/C experience, I must forbear--I only have a little bit after all--two overnight stints, about a year apart, both of which came to a crashing ruin, mostly from sleep-deprivation--well, the first one was aggravated by the fact that I had barely had the job for two months when 9/11 happened, and I literally spent two weeks doing nothing but watching endless reruns of that whole conflagration...if it wasn't so bloody esoteric, I think I could make a good case for having contracted PTSD. Every ad break was canceled, as well as all satellite feeds...in fact, I ended up putting the first ads back on the channel, during an SNL re-run. I couldn't help but notice though, that every bumper was being altered on the live feed (before it went out) to remove every passing shot of the Twin Towers from the tape that I would switch from for local spots...Talk about sanitizing something on the cheap...but that's
                                          television today...kind of glad I'm out of it--I'd sooner stock shelves in a grocery store--something I'm actually working on, at the moment...
                                          martin

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jun 26, 2013
                                            And that story alone proves that you have insight that I can value.

                                            And it reminds me of my own experiences in radio.