Re: [probe_control] No Search

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 19, 2013
      Some things were specifically marketed in different time lengths so
      stations could choose if they wanted to fill 90 minutes or two hours. I
      read the Time Tunnel "tele-movies" were offered for 90 minute and two hour
      time slots.

      But for shows and movies that were just being sent out as-is back in the
      16mm film days, the distributors didn't do any cuts. They just sent them
      out and it was up to the stations to decide how they wanted to run them.

      If you traveled a lot, or lived in-between markets so you got a lot of
      different channels on cable or antenna, you had a good chance of eventually
      seeing all parts because stations made different cuts based on their time
      requirements and because people had their own ideas about what should be
      cut. WPIX never ran Space:1999 uncut. So once I had cable and was getting
      indies from Philadelphia, I started to see the missing scenes in that
      market's airings.

      But when shows started going out on video tape, that sometimes was no
      longer the case. I noticed something with runs of Star Trek TOS, and
      called up a station to confirm what I was suspecting: Paramount was now
      sending out edited versions of Trek on video tape, and the only way a
      station could run uncut episodes was if they got old weather beaten 16mm
      copies. TV stations never had the option of running Benson uncut. The
      syndicated reruns went out with the tag scene removed. It is only now with
      the first two seasons on DVD that the tag scenes (and the longer, original
      series titles) can be viewed.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 19, 2013
        John,

        My memory may be a bit hazy as well, but I seem to remember when the Pilot aired in '81 when I saw it, it did show the rescue (after which Lockwood said to Cam's remark about the risk being a result of extreme duress or something: "That means I'm entitled to two weeks 'leave of absence'... with pay."). It also included the phone call because I remember Lockwood negotiating THREE weeks off - with pay, "party of two" (presumably to include the woman in his apartment). It also had the bit in Probe Control where Lockwood mentions Dr. Laurent's "Stock options", all before showing off the new scanner that "was made even smaller". (I'd have loved to have seen the previous model!)

        You are right in that WPIX was notorious for cutting anything they aired to shreds to fit in more commercials (they massacred the original 'Trek' re-runs), but if I do remember correctly, this particular airing of the 'PROBE/Search' Pilot had the full beginning, but had bits cut from other places in the movie.