Re: [probe_control] No Search

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 19, 2013
      It was WPIX. WNBC had the pilot from the time Search went off the air up
      until the mid to late 70's. The version they had was very strange. It
      started with the Warner's logo with the stinging end of the theme, then it
      went to the Search version of the pilot opening titles, then when we saw
      the establishing shot of the WS building and the theme ended, there was a
      loud crack on the sound track (like a bad splice...but with no accompanying
      visual of a bad splice) and it went straight into the phone call, which
      (and I am hazy on this) an optical wipe into Lockwood entering the waiting
      area, and the rest of the pilot. WNBC didn't cut anything, but for some
      reason they did do commercial breaks in the middle of the scenes, and they
      let the built in spinning diamond optical breaks just run back to back.

      There was a long break when WNBC was not running it, and then suddenly WPIX
      was running it, and they were running the version with the rescue, the
      opening Search titles, and a dissolve from the WS buliding to Lockwood
      entering the waiting area. And WPIX being WPIX, they did cut scenes. I
      don't know when WPIX stopped running the pilot, but I know I never got the
      chance to tape it once I was home from college with my nice VCR.

      My question, and we may have discussed it before, but did any place in the
      U.S. get in syndication the full version of the pilot (rescue and phone
      call) with the Search titles? (My apologies to Don and Jim if you have
      sent me such examples in the past.) The only airing I can think of that
      had both scenes was the Australia airing we got from Trevor...and that had
      the Probe titles (which is the same full, complete version the Warner
      Archive has so thoughtfully released for us on MOD.)

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 19, 2013
        Hello
        John

        The cutdown of PROBE was to fit advert
        breaks over there, wasn�t it?? If you include adverts, you bring the show up to
        at least 2 hours.

        Well, you know the UK had the full version
        cos I sent you a copy. :-) Trevor supplied the most episodes.

        To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
        From: actingman6@...
        Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 10:27:53 -0400
        Subject: Re: [probe_control] No Search

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 19, 2013
          Some things were specifically marketed in different time lengths so
          stations could choose if they wanted to fill 90 minutes or two hours. I
          read the Time Tunnel "tele-movies" were offered for 90 minute and two hour
          time slots.

          But for shows and movies that were just being sent out as-is back in the
          16mm film days, the distributors didn't do any cuts. They just sent them
          out and it was up to the stations to decide how they wanted to run them.

          If you traveled a lot, or lived in-between markets so you got a lot of
          different channels on cable or antenna, you had a good chance of eventually
          seeing all parts because stations made different cuts based on their time
          requirements and because people had their own ideas about what should be
          cut. WPIX never ran Space:1999 uncut. So once I had cable and was getting
          indies from Philadelphia, I started to see the missing scenes in that
          market's airings.

          But when shows started going out on video tape, that sometimes was no
          longer the case. I noticed something with runs of Star Trek TOS, and
          called up a station to confirm what I was suspecting: Paramount was now
          sending out edited versions of Trek on video tape, and the only way a
          station could run uncut episodes was if they got old weather beaten 16mm
          copies. TV stations never had the option of running Benson uncut. The
          syndicated reruns went out with the tag scene removed. It is only now with
          the first two seasons on DVD that the tag scenes (and the longer, original
          series titles) can be viewed.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 19, 2013
            John,

            My memory may be a bit hazy as well, but I seem to remember when the Pilot aired in '81 when I saw it, it did show the rescue (after which Lockwood said to Cam's remark about the risk being a result of extreme duress or something: "That means I'm entitled to two weeks 'leave of absence'... with pay."). It also included the phone call because I remember Lockwood negotiating THREE weeks off - with pay, "party of two" (presumably to include the woman in his apartment). It also had the bit in Probe Control where Lockwood mentions Dr. Laurent's "Stock options", all before showing off the new scanner that "was made even smaller". (I'd have loved to have seen the previous model!)

            You are right in that WPIX was notorious for cutting anything they aired to shreds to fit in more commercials (they massacred the original 'Trek' re-runs), but if I do remember correctly, this particular airing of the 'PROBE/Search' Pilot had the full beginning, but had bits cut from other places in the movie.