UNCLE

    Message 1 of 7 , May 29, 2013
      Hello Rob and Jim

      I think
      Clooney is probably too old and with his back problem wouldn�t have been
      suitable.

      Cavill
      would be riding on the Superman wave so to speak and I think if that film is
      successful, then there might be schedule/contract problem if they want a second
      film.

    • Robert McNay
      Message 2 of 7 , May 29, 2013
        would be riding on the Superman wave so to speak and I think if that film is
        successful, then there might be schedule/contract problem if they want a second
        film.

        Why? Robert Downy Jr is doing 2 franchises, Ironman and Sherlock Holmes with no
        problem. Plus the Avengers movies.

        RLM
        Message 3 of 7 , May 30, 2013
          Hello
          Rob

          The major difference is that Downy has been
          around for years. Superman is essentially Cavill�s big break. The way the money
          is being pumped in, I doubt Warner would want to see him appearing in a
          different franchise with all their investment in him.

          The Avengers film is an extension of the
          Iron Man film and not a separate entity as such.

          To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
          From: CptMatt@...
          Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 12:57:49 -0700
          Subject: Re: [probe_control] UNCLE

          Message 4 of 7 , May 30, 2013
            Disney does treat the Avengers movies as a separate entity from the individual
            "hero" movies, to the point that the stars contracts mention their commitment to
            them apart from the other movies. Like Downy, his contract, which has expired on
            the Ironman films, does stipulate that he is committed to one more Avengers
            film.

            I only mentioned the Avengers film because Cavill is facing the same sort of
            commitment. He has signed for 2 Man of Steel films and 1 Justice League, if it
            happens.

            As for Cavill's experience, Man of Steel may be his "big break" but he has been
            acting almost continuously since 2002, most of it on British TV. And since the
            DC Comics movies are Warner Bros production, just like the Man from U.N.C.L.E.
            movie, I can't see them being terribly miffed over them making them a lot of
            money on 2 "tentpole" franchises.

            Rob McNay
            Chicago IL

                The major difference is that Downy has been
            around for years. Superman is essentially Cavill’s big break. The way the money
            is being pumped in, I doubt Warner would want to see him appearing in a
            different franchise with all their investment in him.

                The Avengers film is an extension of the
            Iron Man film and not a separate entity as such.

            Geoff

            ***************  Geoff Willmetts    editor, SFCrowsnest.org.uk  and other
            suffixes ****************

                      SFCrowsnest.org.uk is the biggest SF website in Europe and second
            biggest in the world

                            and that's only because the first is a commerical site and they
            look to what we do!

            To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
            From: CptMatt@...
            Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 12:57:49 -0700

            Message 5 of 7 , May 30, 2013
              Hello
              Rob

              How Disney treats The Avengers and Iron Man
              doesn�t mean the same thing to the viewer who will see not only them but the
              Captain America, Thor and Hulk films being a linked continuity. Warner�s are
              using this as a template for the Superman and maybe, assuming they do it, JLA
              films.

              Other than age, money and maybe poor
              scripts, can you really see Downy stepping down from such a role as Tony Stark??

              Re: Cavill. Should I have amended my
              comment to �starring role�?? I had a look at his work on IMDB because I haven�t
              seen any of his work over here and none of it is what we would call big stuff
              over here just roles to get experience.

              To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com

              From: CptMatt@...

              Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 12:57:49 -0700

              Message 6 of 7 , May 30, 2013
                >    How Disney treats The Avengers and Iron Man
                > doesn’t mean the same thing to the viewer who will see not only them but the
                > Captain America, Thor and Hulk films being a linked continuity. Warner’s are
                > using this as a template for the Superman and maybe, assuming they do it, JLA
                > films.

                You have just backed what I said, the studios treat each franchise as a separate
                entity, and approach as such in the star's contracts.

                >    Other than age, money and maybe poor
                > scripts, can you really see Downy stepping down from such a role as Tony
                >Stark??

                Which is exactly why Downy has cast so much doubt on his return, multiple times.
                He says they have already paid him more than he could ever spend to do it. Plus
                the next Ironman isn't due until after the next Avengers film. The next Avengers
                film isn't out until 2015. Finally, he said he has his own franchise project
                that he is working on.

                >    Re: Cavill. Should I have amended my
                > comment to ‘starring role’?? I had a look at his work on IMDB because I
                haven’t
                > seen any of his work over here and none of it is what we would call big stuff
                > over here just roles to get experience.

                Why does it have to be just "big stuff"? George Clooney was all "small stuff"
                (ER, Roseanne, Facts of Life) then landed pretty much landed feet first into a
                movie career that took off. I think a long career of "small stuff" better
                prepares an actor for that moment when he gets his "big break". Its the ones
                that come outta nowhere to hit it big that become glorified flashes in the pan.
                I think Cavill's history says he is in this for the long haul and is willing to
                do whatever it takes to become a true leading man.

                RLM
              • martin allen
                Message 7 of 7 , May 30, 2013
                  Hey Geoff,

                     A friend of mine who works at the biggest movie house in Houston says all the shop talk about "Man of Steel" looks pretty good. If it does tank, it won't be for a lack of trying. It's being plugged by two shopping outlets, Sears and Wal-Mart (which would have been a conflict of interest if there was anything like rules anymore), plus an exclusive advert in theatres only (so far) linking ol' Kal to the 'men of steel' in the US Army. How is it being promoted over your way?

                  Martin